Nvidia "Revolutionary Platform" is Supposedly VR Goggles

patrickjp93

Can anyone here actually name an open-source software other than VLC Player which is a true raving success on the consumer front? Open-Source solutions very often have glaring flaws that can't be solved because the community cannot agree. Proprietary software has an advantage in development of being managed top-down when it comes to critical design decisions, meaning work gets done much more quickly, and even if the wrong decision was made, the recovery time still outpaces open-source speeds.

MPC-HC; it wasn't shit while VLC was shit.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

MPC-HC; it wasn't shit while VLC was shit.

Considering those two projects merged, I'm still counting that as VLC.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Considering those two projects merged, I'm still counting that as VLC.

When did MPC-HC merge with VLC?

I suppose you are going to find a reason to discount Doom as well?

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

When did MPC-HC merge with VLC?

I suppose you are going to find a reason to discount Doom as well?

1) Doom is pretty ancient at this point, and back then it was certainly easier to architect a video game (Hell I've written 3 in raw 6502 assembly for the Atari 2600)

2) If there is some modern Open-Source project trying to port it up to modern graphics standards, I'm willing to look at it. Just pop me a link

3) Have you ever looked at the VLC and MPC-HC code bases closely? They share quite a bit if you run the code bases through a service like TurnItIn (benefits of being a TA with access to it). Perhaps merged is the wrong word, because they do have different UI ideas, but the back end is almost the exact same code base.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3) Have you ever looked at the VLC and MPC-HC code bases closely? They share quite a bit if you run the code bases through a service like TurnItIn (benefits of being a TA with access to it). Perhaps merged is the wrong word, because they do have different UI ideas, but the back end is almost the exact same code base.

But they are not the same.

And I know for sure that MPC was objectively better for a long time(while VLC had severe artifacts playing same video, MPC didn't).

But they are not the same.

And I know for sure that MPC was objectively better for a long time(while VLC had severe artifacts playing same video, MPC didn't).

That was a problem before they decided to just take the best of both of their back-ends.

gloating. For all people's complaints about Nvidia and being proprietary, riddle me this: why is it proprietary software tends to run so much better than open-source counterparts and be better supported? It's because real life programmers are being paid to put out the absolute best and compete with each other.

I too have noticed the failures of the Linux community when it comes to GPU drivers. For so many years the Linux community has kept talking about how the open source drivers are improving and will eventually be the best solution. But for example on the AMD GPU side open source drivers still cannot touch the catalyst Linux drivers for gaming performance and openGL feature support despite catalyst Linux itself being notoriously bad due to AMD's refusal to dedicate resources to Linux and openGL. People seem to use open source drivers sometimes for idealistic reasons rather than merit.

Do you think that the failure of the open source community when it comes to GPU drivers is due to it's non-professional nature, or due to the lack of documentation and secrecy from nvidia/AMD regarding their hardware?

I thought this was going to be something we had never seen before but now i feel as if the VR market is becoming too flooded, i believe there is such thing as too many options with something like this.

Sony, rumored microsoft, razer's, oculus and now Nvidia, whos next AMD? I don't want to have to have 5 different headset's for each device :/

I too have noticed the failures of the Linux community when it comes to GPU drivers. For so many years the Linux community has kept talking about how the open source drivers are improving and will eventually be the best solution. But for example on the AMD GPU side open source drivers still cannot touch the catalyst Linux drivers for gaming performance and openGL feature support despite catalyst Linux itself being notoriously bad due to AMD's refusal to dedicate resources to Linux and openGL. People seem to use open source drivers sometimes for idealistic reasons rather than merit.

Do you think that the failure of the open source community when it comes to GPU drivers is due to it's non-professional nature, or due to the lack of documentation and secrecy from nvidia/AMD regarding their hardware?

A lot of it comes down to documentation, but AMD is much better at providing that documentation than Nvidia. Still, giving out too much of that documentation will result in effectively giving up design patents.

the new virtual reality head mounted display is being developed by the same team that headed the development of Nvidia’s Shield handheld gaming device a few years back. The new VR device is rumored to be dubbed Titan VR

We’ve heard that the red team is working on VR too and has just recently hired more veteran VR developers. However according to industry sources, AMD isn’t interested in creating its own VR headset and would rather work closely with Oculus instead. AMD is also hosting its own VR talk at GDC which will be centered around low latency rendering, an essential element in the virtual reality environment.

Source

Both technologies will supposedly make an appearance at GDC. What do you think of this ? I personally don't like segregation but before I pass judgement I'll have to see what they're working on exactly.

Both technologies will supposedly make an appearance at GDC. What do you think of this ? I personally don't like segregation but before I pass judgement I'll have to see what they're working on exactly.

Lol my profile pic.

post-107732-0-17408000-1425192146.jpg

post-107732-0-17408000-1425192146.jpg

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I would like to have a full headgear rather than having just glasses. It puts the weight evenly.

541-953_A.jpg

Like this but with the shield a lot more smaller and with green colored l.e.d lighting it up. Although, the only problem are the variations of sizes. :|

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I would like to have a full headgear rather than having just glasses. It puts the weight evenly.

541-953_A.jpg

Like this but with the shield a lot more smaller and with green colored l.e.d lighting it up. Although, the only problem are the variations of sizes. :|

Getting that SAO vibe right now.

Da Rig : Mobo: Asus M5A97-r2.0 | Cpu: FX-8320 (4.1ghz) Stock cooler | Gpu: Sapphire R9 290 | RAM: 16GB Patriot Intel Extreme (1600mhz...for now >:]) | PSU: Antec 620w continuous | SSD: Corsair Force 60gb (boot) | HDD: WD 500GB 7200rpm  WD Blue 1TB | OS: WIndows 7 Ultimate 64-bit |

Getting that SAO vibe right now.

SAO gaming is far away. In order for us to completely be in a game, we will need to figure out how we can connect our dreams into a machine that will create the world. Kind of like in the movie Inception, where they have an architect. Not to mention, in order for us to keep playing without disruption, we need to be sedated. Right know, we only have omni treadmills and VR headsets. But we're slowly getting there.  :D

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

same team that headed the development of Nvidia’s Shield

this screams standalone VR with a Tegra soc

amd will probably make one with freesync which is what Oculus needs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Lol my profile pic.

Note how Nvidia has a timer/detonator of some sort on their bundle of dynamite, showing sophistication; AMD just has a standard issue cartoon bomb, showing lack of innovation as they continue to use old architecture.

It's just a joke leave me alone. I like both teams.

Note how Nvidia has a timer/detonator of some sort on their bundle of dynamite, showing sophistication; AMD just has a standard issue cartoon bomb, showing lack of innovation.

It's a satellite timer! Look at it! :o

It's a satellite timer! Look at it! :o

Nvidia Grid via Satellite confirmed.

541-953_A.jpg

Looks like a bikers helmet. Still have no idea why UI hasn't been implemented in some form in mainstream vehicles.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Note how Nvidia has a timer/detonator of some sort on their bundle of dynamite, showing sophistication; AMD just has a standard issue cartoon bomb, showing lack of innovation as they continue to use old architecture.

post-107732-0-96441600-1425194869.jpg

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Looks like a bikers helmet. Still have no idea why UI hasn't been implemented in some form in mainstream vehicles.

It is. And it should be. It's a protection in case we do stupid sh!t when using VR.  :D

Rekt

Oh I didn't know NVIDIA was leading VR tech - oh well, just another something NVIDIA claims to be leading.