DT 990 250 ohm, AMP needed?

jbgoedebeste
Go to solution Solved by Nup,

On your PC's mobo, no. 

On your phone, maybe, depending on how loud you like it. On my iphone 5c they will work if the volume is cranked up to the maximum. But tehy lack some of the "body" that you get from more power. 

That being said there aren't many amps for mobile devices, and they tend to be awkward. 

See for yourself. Try them before buying your amp, no need to spend money pre-emptively if it wont make a difference. 

Also don't forget to follow your posts! @jbgoedebeste

I'm looking to buy the DT 990 250 ohm version, but do I need an AMP to drive all dem ohms?

I have seen a lot of nonsense on the internet about it, so I just want an answer...

Is it really needed, or is it just to make it sound better?

If I stick it in my phone, will I get sound?

If an AMP is needed, please recommend me one (please, not to expensive).

On your PC's mobo, no. 

On your phone, maybe, depending on how loud you like it. On my iphone 5c they will work if the volume is cranked up to the maximum. But tehy lack some of the "body" that you get from more power. 

That being said there aren't many amps for mobile devices, and they tend to be awkward. 

See for yourself. Try them before buying your amp, no need to spend money pre-emptively if it wont make a difference. 

Also don't forget to follow your posts! @jbgoedebeste

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

An amp is absolutely needed. Fortunately almost all consumer sound producing devices already got an amp built-in in them. PC onboard audio, portable music player, discman, phone, etc, all got their own built-in amp.

So the right question is not 'is an amp needed?', because headphones definitely need an amp, but rather 'is my existing amp adequate?'. Once you see it that way, the answer becomes much much simpler. 'Is my lemon tea sweet enough, or should I add more sugar?'. Surely you can answer that yourself, which is like the one suggested above, try it first. If it's not sweet enough, it's not too late to add sugar afterward....

You shouldn't need to buy a amp as mine work perfectly fine on my motherboards onboard sound

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s