Best audio editor for beginners

hansnothanz

as the title states, what is the best for beginners?

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Mother Board: ASUS P8B75-M LE GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Thermaltake LT-500NL2NL 500W

PERIPHERALS: Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Dell S2340L 60Hz 23.0" Speakers: Harman Kardon Soundsticks III Mouse Pad: Steelseries QCK Headphones: Superlux HD 668B

Fruity Loops 

FL Studio or Audacity not sure what you are going to do

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Audacity

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

as the title states, what is the best for beginners?

Fruit Loops is for audio creation, not editing. The software would depend on all the features you would want; what would you like to do to the audio? There are some lower versions of Adobe Audition that are feature-packed enough to do more than you probably need/want, but it's very user-friendly if you know just a little about audio editing. Look for old versions of Cool Edit - there may even be some free versions online.

As others have suggested, Audacity is great for clipping, and editing audio, and FL studio is good for creation. When i was working with songs I used Virtual DJ pro to remix to mess around with multiple tracks, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you just wanted to play around with a virtual turn table.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I'll quote myself from a similar topic a while back.

[...] Reaper [and Audacity are] fully capable DAWs and I work with [them] on numerous occasions. However, if you have no prior experience with using a Digital Audio Workstation I suggest you take a look at Audacity and try to explore some of the basic functionality there. Most DAWs share the same basic principals so in this sense any time you spend with audacity will not be wasted if you decide that you would like to change platforms.

For small scale recordings, a DAW such as Reaper or Audacity will be more then enough for recording and basic editing.

Which ever piece of software you decide on: us it. Try to record lots getting used to recording snippets of yourself or you friends talking or playing and play around with those samples. Try experimenting with different effects and most importantly, RTFM. Seriously, Reaper and audacity are decent at offering the basic functionality out of the box, but some of the more advanced features require some tinkering.

Good luck!

For editing?  Audacity, plain and simple.

For a DAW?  I like FruityLoops although I use the free alternative more because it's cross platform:  https://lmms.io/

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

• 3 months later...

Fruit Loops is for audio creation, not editing. The software would depend on all the features you would want; what would you like to do to the audio? There are some lower versions of Adobe Audition that are feature-packed enough to do more than you probably need/want, but it's very user-friendly if you know just a little about audio editing. Look for old versions of Cool Edit - there may even be some free versions online.

Lol you havnt got a clue evidently. Fl studio is for anything to do with audio. Editing is one if its strongest points, a DAW would be useless with out efficient editing tools. I dont know why you suggested what you did it is backwards.

Lol you havnt got a clue evidently. Fl studio is for anything to do with audio. Editing is one if its strongest points, a DAW would be useless with out efficient editing tools. I dont know why you suggested what you did it is backwards.

No, he has a clue. FL Studio is and has primarily been a sequencer/arranger since day one. Audio editing in FL is not as precise or intuitive as it is in other DAWs. Personally, I hate editing in FL, zoom levels suck, and there's a distinct lack of tools in the playlist for precise editing (fading, consolidating files, waveform drawing, or even just free selecting audio) everything is snapped to a grid, even if you zoom all the way in. Having to open Edison, save a new file, and close Edison every time I want to do some fine editing is a pain in the ass, and even after that, it's still more cumbersome than many of the heavyweight DAWs out there. 

To OP, for basic editing I'd suggest Audacity or Reaper, both free.

That is, if we're to assume by 'editing' you mean purely editing audio files, not creating, sequencing, arranging, mixing, etc..

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set