Arduino Hardware FPS monitor?

werto165

Just thought of a cool project depending on how you look at it. 

Anyway it's an hardware FPS monitor, it looks like this(the display): http://www.engineersgarage.com/electronic-components/7-segment-display

7%20segment.jpg

Is this project feasible in anyway? Keep in mind I have limited programming knowledge(I know a little c# doesn't really apply to arduino). I could either do the segmented LED or a dot matrix version of the display. 

06c2726958.jpg

Is there a program that fetches the current FPS?(that I am able to manipulate) If so what program? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I wonder if there are open-source software out there that calculates your current FPS. Open-source is preferable since you can fetch the variable there, have you googled enough open-source FPS software? xD

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Apparently programs like FRAPS put a hook onto the draw commands, so they can tell when a new frame is being drawn. This is does not seem like an easy task.

You could try disassembling FRAPS or Afterburner, although that may violate the license agreement, and trying to figure out how they do it.

I'm guessin it's also possible to hack into the signal going between the monitor and computer, they have "newframe" commands. However, an arduino is no way near fast enought for that. (I'd think unless there is something handy like a frame-clock line in the cable but I'm not familiar enought with the standards to know).

I wouldn't know how to do it in software, since this is something that get's done by the GPU.