Is it really worth OCing a mid range GPU

Hi all!

I have the ASUS R9270X-DC2T-2GD5, it is an OC version

My question is.

Is it really worth to OC this GPU?

My opinion is OCing this GPU will be barely noticeable, or i may be wrong....

I would like to hear what you have to say about this.

Thanks!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Hi all!

My question is.

Thanks!

it can be, depends on how much on a oc you get, could be 10 frames could be 1. you might be over "your" playable frame rate and add aa or higher res. i think so just dont mod you bios and make sure your temps stay down.

Depends what you're playing/doing and also on how well it overclocks. If it's a good overclocker and you're wanting more performance, it can be worth it. 

Well for example on the GPU TWEAK (software that come with thw Asus GPU)

There is an option of 1 click OCing (gaming mode)...

How decent is that ?

Cause i set this on one day, start to see a Youtube video, and the video was horizontal lignes of different colors....

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

How decent is that ?

From my experience, auto overclocking is always pretty bad (has caused system crashes for me)

I would advise just doing it manually, as you can fine tune it to get the temps and speeds you are most comfortable with. 

How decent is that ?

i would just do it manual, download msi afterbuner and gpuz some benchmarks and have yourself a ball. 

i would just do it manual, download msi afterbuner and gpuz some benchmarks and have yourself a ball. 

It is an Asus GPU, should i download the MSI software???

yes, i think it's good, evga's is also good i hear. msi's gives you lots of cool graphs and you can see cpu temps too and do really a lot more too.

yes there is no difference in oc speed

Is there not more benefit to OCing a mid tier GPU. Basically it can allow on to either move up some graphic settings wight eh same framerate or make an existing framerate higher and more playable.

Hi all!

My question is.

Thanks!

Every gpu is worth overclocking, because you can typically get a decent bump in performance without even touching voltage. Not so much with cpu's in my experience. I run 1200mhz at stock voltage on my gpu, base clock is 863, I get about 20-30% frame per second out of it depending on the game.

To be fair 780ti is about as good of an overclocker any card can be.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Mid-range GPUs is where the overclocking really shines in my opinion. On higher end GPUs, where your FPS are usually good and very playable to begin with, a few extra FPS is not what will drastically change your gaming experience. On less powerfull GPUs, every extra frame counts, and not so much because of average FPS, but because it will increase minimal FPS. You will get less drops and stuttering, and when FPS drops do happen, they wont be as bad. Also, mid-range GPUs usually have quite a bit of overclocking headroom, they are not as hot and you can get nice results even if you are not using a board with top-notch cooling system.

Keep in mind, OC depends on a particular sample, you might not get a good stable overclock at all.

On your YouTube issue - Adobe Flash player has some stability issues working with AMD hardware acceleration. I had BSOD once from updating to the latest version of plugin for Firefox, had to roll back. Try using different browser, or different plugin version, or disable hardware acceleration entirely. The best way to test OC though, is to run a good graphical benchmark, like Unigine Valley or Heaven, 3DMark or something like that.

Every gpu is worth overclocking, because you can typically get a decent bump in performance without even touching voltage. Not so much with cpu's in my experience. I run 1200mhz at stock voltage on my gpu, base clock is 863, I get about 20-30% frame per second out of it depending on the game.

To be fair 780ti is about as good of an overclocker any card can be.

These are nice results for 780ti. Above average, I would say. But I have to point out - you got lucky. Units that can get good results without voltage are rare, usually very high ASIC ones. That said, high ASIC doesn't takes increased voltages all too well, so usually your max OC without voltage increase is your max stable OC. But again, depends on your luck with a particular board more than anything else.

In some games it is worth it. 

Like in saints row 4 I got a 20fps increase but in skyrim I get only a 5fps increase on average.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

what is the simplest software to check the stability of the OC i just did ?

Unigine Heaven. Have it running for an hour or two, you can do other stuff on your PC in the meantime. If the temps are OK, and no stability issues after one hour of Heaven, your GPU is likely stable. Keep in mind, some particular games might, and most likely will, have issues with OC. I would suggest having separate OC profiles, one max OC and one mild OC, for hot days and unstable games.

Also, important - you need to watch for atrifacts, they are usually sign of too much OC - so watch at least one full loop of a bench you are using, pay special attention to surfaces and lighting.

I tried to oc manualy(w/o touching the voltage) in any possible way starting from very low step by step to a bit higher.

There was not a single setting that i a didnt have a problem..... i am really confused... :(

I tried to oc manualy(w/o touching the voltage) in any possible way starting from very low step by step to a bit higher.

There was not a single setting that i a didnt have a problem..... i am really confused... :(

what kind of problem? driver crash? did you max the power limit %.  

what kind of problem? driver crash? did you max the power limit %.  

my problems are when i play a game the pc freeze, sometimes i get a black screen and sometimes i get horizontale stripes of different colors.

The drivers are up to date.....

And i have to reset (boot)

It can be beneficial still.  Eeking out an extra 5-10 FPS is nice at times.

I have found though that if you already have a heavily factory overclocked card, you don't have much headroom.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

my problems are when i play a game the pc freeze, sometimes i get a black screen and sometimes i get horizontale stripes of different colors.

The drivers are up to date.....

And i have to reset (boot)

you have to turn down the OC or up power limit/voltage

Hi all!

My question is.

Thanks!

the 270X Top can top at 1.25GHz for core speed and slight 100-150MHz OC for the memory

I once have the Asus 270X Top for a contest but I sold it for cash strapped days

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Does the fact that my PSU is only 550W?

GPU Default =1120Mhz                       
                         1400Mhz 

w/o changing voltage as soon as i go more than 1140 and 1420 i got problems, i really dont understand..... it is so weird....                                                       

Game, render and every day normal use is the best way to check if an OC is stable imo. Just because it is stable in a certain application ( Valley, Heaven, 3DMark or 1 game) doesn't mean it will be stable in the next one. If you want 24/7 stability, you need to test it on everything you will be using it for. I have different OC profiles for different applications. I also have a 24/7 OC profile. Lots of trial and error with tons of patience.

Edit: Dont forget to have fun!!! OC'ing is my favourite part of getting new hardware. That is why i upgrade often when new stuff is released.  :P

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?