Windows 8.1 problem w/ overclock...

Micky Love

So then it works. What's the problem? Use a different software if it reports the wrong clock.

There are two screenshots, one where he's stuck at 3.2 GHz (not working after reboot) and one he's at 4.0 GHz (working, non reboot). 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

C6/C7 and programs tested... still not working

Have you tried running with all the C States disabled?

Does it run correctly under "optimized default" settings?

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Have you tried running with all the C States disabled?

Does it run correctly under "optimized default" settings?

Yep, still not working, everything was verified at that time...

-as we speak, this rig have no more overclocking vocation, it is retired as a Debian home server...

Thanks anyway...

- It's probably a BIOS/CPU/Windows bug because I have 2 others Gigabyte mobo and both do the exact same thing, but only with the G3258 and only under Windows.

With the 4690k, no problem under Windows or Linux...

I guess then the particular mobo is not to blame, mine is ASUS. It is some particular issue that Windows 8.1 has with the G3258 CPU only on warm boot (restart from WIndows). I have also checked all suggestions - C states. I have also disabled "Quick Boot" in my BIOS settings, no luck. If I want to run overclocked, I need to do a complete shutdown and cold boot.

I guess then the particular mobo is not to blame, mine is ASUS. It is some particular issue that Windows 8.1 has with the G3258 CPU only on warm boot (restart from WIndows). I have also checked all suggestions - C states. I have also disabled "Quick Boot" in my BIOS settings, no luck. If I want to run overclocked, I need to do a complete shutdown and cold boot.

at least, it is not affected by sleep mode...

Yeah, it looks like this is the rarest form of losing overclock. The overwhelming amount of problems I read about are with cold boot and sleep/hibernate. It could be worse, though - if the actual overclock settings were being lost and needed to be re-entered manually. As it is, I guess, I only need to remember to always do full shutdown instead of restart.