Best 27"+ monitor?

fewkesy

I'm looking into upgrading my 1080p display to a larger and higher resolution display. Ideally I'd love something that looks as nice as the Apple LED cinema display (the non-thunderbolt one seeing as I have no thunderbolt hardware), but has more input connections. I don't want to be limited to just a single DisplayPort input, HDMI would be pretty handy but the major feature is the 2560 x 1440 or higher resolution.

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated!

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

Eizo released a new 27" Display, the EV2736W, it has an DVI and DP input and a really good panel.

Looks like a nice display, but doesn't seem that easy to source in the UK (probably a factor i should've mentioned).

I've looked a little at Dell's 2713HM, is it a worthwhile monitor for the price? (I can pick up a refurbished one for < £400)

CPU: Intel i7 3770k @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100 | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77n-WiFi | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz CL10 Video CardEVGA GTX 660 SC 

Power Supply: OCZ 550W | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitor #1: Dell P2314H | Monitor #2: LG M2380DF | Monitor #3: LG E1960

Mouse: Razer Deathadder | Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 | Keyboard: Apple Wired Aluminium Keyboard | Headphones: Bose QC15 | Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB Silver

If you want great colour reproduction get the Asus 27" PB278Q, it's a 2560x1440 monitor but is only 60HZ. It also has Display port, Duel-link DVI, VGA and HDMI (All the cables are included inside the box) it also as all the features like Tilt, pivot, up, down and swivel. It Is a bit pricey at $600 AU, but don't let the price tag fool you, It's an amazing monitor especially if you do lots of editing and photoshopping and want accurate colours. (I have one, 2 in fact)

I use a Dell 3008WFP 30" (2560x1600), it is pretty nice except it has some input lag, but I have gotten used to it. I got it really cheap as the previous owner managed to scratch it up a bit and did not know what to sell it for :D I have a 24" Dell screen at work too. They are both very good quality and reproduce colors very well. Any UltraSharp Dell monitor will give you great satisfaction.

I like the Samsung S24A850D, personally. The input lag isn't too bad and it is a good panel otherwise.

It's not a bad monitor but the backlight is not really even

All consumer level monitor, including high end ones, don't have uniform back light.

Your EIZO monitor is professional grade monitor.

Looks like a nice display' date=' but doesn't seem that easy to source in the UK (probably a factor i should've mentioned). I've looked a little at Dell's 2713HM, is it a worthwhile monitor for the price? (I can pick up a refurbished one for < £400) [/quote']

This is a nice monitor. Well reviewed too.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

However, there is a new model that just cameout: The U2713H (not to be confused with the HM model). Specs wise it looks like a better one. If you can wait, it will be coming out at Dell U.K shortly, and also in depth reviews will be out: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=225-4148&baynote_bnrank=1&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

I am currently using Dell's U2713HM and just returned an LG E2742 1080p monitor. I recommend the Dell U2713's to everyone, minus a few conditions...If you a gaming that neeeeds 120Hz then too bad, HD+ monitors with 120Hz are at least a year out (though there have been rumors of the Shimian 27" coming as 120Hz). The colors of the U2713HM are very nice, but not outstanding like the new U2713H so if you're a photographer/designer then maybe you should look and pay for an upgrade, but at the $600 pricepoint (amazon warehouse deals), 1440p is totally worth it!

Other thoughts: the quality is comparable to the Apple cinema/retina displays. I have excellent eyesight and am very pick about my display. I sit 32-36" away from the monitor and feel the resolution can't get a whole lot better (though Sharp's new 30" 4K monitor would be noticeable, unlike those fools at CNET).

Coming from the U2711, the anti-glare coating on the U2713HM is much less noticeable, to the point that I don't even notice it on white-heavy backgrounds such as this forum. IMHO the AG coating on the U2711 is horrific and even the new U2413HM is more noticeable than on the U2713HM. As for backlight bleed, I never notice it in daily use...sure, if I put on an all-black screen and try viewing from the side I'll notice it, but i don't do that and have never cared in actual daily use. Even when playing movies with the cropped black bars I can't notice it (unless I crank the brightness up to 80+%, though i only use the brightness/contrast at roughly 40-50, which is plenty bright).

Overall the increased work-space, text clarity, solid multimedia picture (1080p/720p movies somehow look better that my previous 1080p monitors), and clean design make upgrading to a 2560x1440 monitor a MUST. I would also back up Linus on the Samsung S27A850D, but it's also at a higher price point ($750). Ultimately I'm just holding out for 4K and that's why i chose the cheapest reliable 1440p option (I'll pass on the Korean monitors, I don't gamble). Feel free to ask any questions.

I would recommend the dell u27(11/13)m. Only problem I see is that it has rather aggressive anti-glare.

"No signature"

You get used to the anti-glare coating. If you come from non-glossy screen, its no issue.

If the anti-glare is an issue, than the screen is way too close, or you put the brightness way too high for your environment. I have my U2410 at brightness 0, which is about 50% on most other monitor.

Yamakasi Catleap master race reporting in.

My Current Build:

• 5.0GHz i7-3770k Processor
  • Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 Mobo
  • SLI Asus DCUII 670's Watercooled
  • 120GB Corsair Force GT3 Boot SSD
  • 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
  • 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27 G.Skill Ripjaws Z Memory
  • 1050w Seasonic 80+ Gold
  • Caselabs M8
  • Windows 7 64 bit
  • Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Drive
  • Creative Recon 3D Sound Card
  • XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock
  • Dual 360mm UT60 Rads
  • 15 Yate Loon Medium fans
  • Yamakasi Catleap Monitor (1440p)
  • Sennheiser HD 598

Honestly, you can get some really cheap 2560x1600 monitors on eBay with IPS panels.

I'm talking really cheap.

The chance of a defect is there, but I've had three friends buy these eBay monitors and they are still stunning with apparently no defects (or at least none you can see; one dead pixel in four million isn't really visible.

Someone else on the forum was saying he had a 2560x1440 Yamakasi monitor and said it achieved 120Hz at that resolution (insane in my opinion)

If you can get something like a GTX 690 on this, you would be astonished by the quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SEi-27-LED-S-IPS-2560X1440-WQHD-6ms-DVI-D-PC-Monitor-/140853877568?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item20cb8b9b40&_uhb=1#ht_37777wt_1102

i'd say the PB278Q from asus. not cheap but worth it.

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

Honestly, you can get some really cheap 2560x1600 monitors on eBay with IPS panels.

I'm talking really cheap.

The chance of a defect is there, but I've had three friends buy these eBay monitors and they are still stunning with apparently no defects (or at least none you can see; one dead pixel in four million isn't really visible.

Someone else on the forum was saying he had a 2560x1440 Yamakasi monitor and said it achieved 120Hz at that resolution (insane in my opinion)

If you can get something like a GTX 690 on this, you would be astonished by the quality.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SEi-27-LED-S-IPS-2560X1440-WQHD-6ms-DVI-D-PC-Monitor-/140853877568?pt=AU_comp_monitor&hash=item20cb8b9b40&_uhb=1#ht_37777wt_1102

Ahhhh that would make sense then.

That is still fairly cheap, though, but you can get 2560x1600s for around that price online.

Pixel perfect isn't that noticeable in my opinion. One, two, three, or even four pixels in four million is still hard to see for the naked eye.

I'm getting a DELL ULTRASHARP 27 u2713hm

I've pretty much ruled out any of the cheap eBay monitors, there aren't any that really appeal to everything I want. I think the closest thing so far to what I think that I want is the Dell U2713H (which is available in the UK) but it is an extra £150 - £200 over and above the price of the U2713HM. I think I now just need to choose between the H and the HM. Tough to justify the extra money.

The Asus PB278Q is a really good monitor if you can afford it,

-Pow3rCut

• 4 months later...

Sorry for going quiet on this. I eventually chose the Dell U2713HM and used it for a bit. It's a very nice monitor don't get me wrong, but I missed my old multi-monitor set up, so I'm moving back to 1080p screens in surround. For those tempted with the Dell, well worth the money if you're in the market for a relatively cheap high quality 1440p screen.