Gtx 760 sli over 780?

Harshil

hey guys,

Really need help in this one. I'm planning a build and really stuck on the decision to whether go with gtx 760 sli (2-way) or gtx 780. I'm gonna 1080p 3d gaming on my benq xl2420tx monitor. 

Any comment would be appreciated.

"Spells do exist. We are all just out of Mana."

GTX 780 would be better. Other than being more expensive; it uses less power, quieter, more compatible, more vram, cooler than GTX 760 in SLI.

Single 780 will be better compatibility wise with games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Get a single 780. I haven't seen any 760 SLI performance figures, but I'm willing to bet they aren't too far ahead the 780, if ahead at all. Plus, you use less power, output less heat and noise, have better game and driver compatibility, and get to say you have one of the most baller GPUs around

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

if you have the money to get one powerful card, i would advise that route. 2 card in sli is not as upgradeable as one card. also it will be more compatiable with majority of games

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I would say go for the 780. While the SLI'd 760s will most likely perform better, there is the higher heat output, higher power usage, and the less compatibility in games. You have to rely on games that are SLI'd optimized, and not all are. 

and does more memory bandwidth and memory help in 3d gaming?

does it?

For 1080p I would just go with a 770. But if you plan to upgrade your monitor on the future to a higher resolution get the 780

definitely get the gtx-780. the gtx-760 is pretty much the same as a gtx-660ti and based on the old gk104 chip whereas the gtx-780 uses the new gk110 which is also on the titan. also single card means less powerconsumtion and less heat in the system.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

and does more memory bandwidth and memory help in 3d gaming?

More VRAM intensive things will, such as anti-aliasing and higher resolutions.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

definitely get the gtx-780. the gtx-760 is pretty much the same as a gtx-660ti and based on the old gk104 chip whereas the gtx-780 uses the new gk110 which is also on the titan. also single card means less powerconsumtion and less heat in the system.

GK110 isn't really that new, it was used on workstation cards and then on the Titan and 780, but in the end it is more powerful than GK104.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Hold on guys, considering 760 SLI is $150 cheaper than a 780, I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.  That's a pretty big chunk of change.  And 760 SLI outclasses both 780 and Titan by a pretty significant margin (in games).

If expandability isn't high on the priority list, and you want to save a few bucks, then IMO 760 SLI is a great option, despite the greater power consumption.

For 1080p I would just go with a 770. But if you plan to upgrade your monitor on the future to a higher resolution get the 780

He's doing 3D though, so he'll need the extra horsepower to run at 120Hz.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

guys just saw some stats and it looks like gtx 760 sli performs significantly better than gtx 780 and gtx titan.

guys just saw some stats and it looks like gtx 760 sli performs significantly better than gtx 780 and gtx titan.

What happens when you need to run the game in Single GPU mode? The performance benefits plummet.

I believe most of the big titles are sli optimized. 

I believe most of the big titles are sli optimized. 

if you are going to assume that

then I will laugh when half of them dont

you cant just assume with those things

like assassins creed sucks with sli lol

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

Well thats a point. That way gtx 780 is the real deal.

Between those 2 cards, I'd get a 780 over the 760 in SLI, mainly because of heat, power and noise. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Oh guys forgot to mention that I will throw a water block on my card/s to keep them nice and cool. Please comment further keeping this in mind.

well i think this is quite a hard decision since the 760 performs pretty well in SLI. the frametimes arent too bad. and its quite a bit cheaper to buy 2x760 than a single 780. but: you may want to have more vram in the future, especially if you are planning to upgrade your monitor. if you have the money, get yourself a 780, otherwise grab 2 760s, maybe a 4gb version ,9

topic upgrade-

gtx 760 sli vs gtx 780.

Note- Comparison based on watercooling.

Go 780. 760' might have a little more horsepower but with the 1x780 you will get rid of 1)microstuttering 2)noise of 2 full load Graphics card

3)it looks way much cooler

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight