WHS? NAS? - No idea what would be best, Please help

Flying freak

Hello

I'm in an interesting situation I know what I would like to accomplish I just have no clue what type of software/hardware I need.

Min capacity : 2TB but needs to be expandable later

MUST: be accessible over the internet.

MUST: Offer some sort of storage redundancy (raid 1 or 5 ?)

Ideal : Store all files on this server/nas and stream them to my desktop/laptop over the network as needed.

Ideal : Be able to stream media to TV.

What do I need? Im thinking maybe WHS ? what version? Or would a NAS box be able to handle all this?

Simplest would be say a 4 bay NAS drive - set it and forget it. Many come with all those services including the Internet based access. A WHS would have you also configuring all the services seperately and then figuring out remote access through a firewall. Do-able, but more complicated. If you want just something basic, look at nas solutions, from WD, Netgear, etc...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

yea i agree, i bought a nas drive that has two 2TB disks in there in a raid0.. i mostly use it as a backup drive so i don't need the redundancy. Depends on your needs really

Is a nas system going to be fast enough though? Keep in mind that the goal is to store all the files on the server and the computers will only have the OS and software stored on them . I thought that the 4bay NAS systems were ment for simple backups. ?

What about this type of solution : http://ncix.com/products/?sku=74067&vpn=N5550&manufacture=Thecus%20Tech&promoid=1270

What i love about it is that it appears to have some sort of audio/video out so I could conceivably use it as my HTPC

Is a nas system going to be fast enough though

based on what you want to do, their won't be much difference between a 4 bay nas and the one you've linked to. a 4 or 5 drive raid5 will be plenty fast for media streaming and gigabit transfer over a network. Gigabit LAN should be the bottleneck for any of these two setups with a bunch of 7200rpm drives.