The jump to X99

JScott03
Go to solution Solved by hehehehhehehehe,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($548.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($146.78 @ Newegg)

Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($194.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $890.76

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 23:29 EST-0500

There is almost no point for him to get the 5930k over the 5820k especially while it's almost $200 more expensive, unless of course he needs the extra PCI-E lanes which with 2 980's he wont.

Plus why did you change the motherboard and RAM? You didn't even answer his original question...

Anyway, in regards to the OP while strictly gaming you won't be looking at that much of a performance improvement due to your 2700k still being a competent processor. You will however notice the difference of having 6 physical cores once you start to stream and multitask where most stutters you once might of had will be gone and your computer will feel generally more snappy and responsive.

Hard drives should also still be bootable although it's quite common for drivers from previous components to conflict with new hardware.

I really enjoy new tech and am one of those people that wants the best I can afford at all times. I'm looking to make a few big purchases and would love some feedback.

Current build:

• CPU
    i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz
  • Motherboard
    ASUS P67 Sabertooth
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
  • GPU
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 OC (1400mhz GPU Clock / 7750mhz Memory Clock)
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD / 600GB WD Raptor
  • PSU
    Corsair AX1200
  • Display(s)
    LG 34UC97 3440x1440
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K65 Mechanical
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    AKG K712 Pro Studio Reference Headphones / Mayflower Electronics O2 Amp Dac Combo
  • Operating System
    Windows 8.1

I'm looking to replace the CPU/Motherboard/Ram and (Cooler for aesthetics/watercooling)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cBc8CJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cBc8CJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.88 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Silverstone TD03 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1067.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 23:12 EST-0500

I do plan on adding a second 980 within 6 months.

This build is for gaming/streaming... What kind of performance increase can I expect? Also, will using the same hard drives be as simple as plug and play so I don't have to re-install everything?

Thanks in advance.

There is almost no point for him to get the 5930k over the 5820k especially while it's almost $200 more expensive, unless of course he needs the extra PCI-E lanes which with 2 980's he wont.

Plus why did you change the motherboard and RAM? You didn't even answer his original question...

Anyway, in regards to the OP while strictly gaming you won't be looking at that much of a performance improvement due to your 2700k still being a competent processor. You will however notice the difference of having 6 physical cores once you start to stream and multitask where most stutters you once might of had will be gone and your computer will feel generally more snappy and responsive.

Hard drives should also still be bootable although it's quite common for drivers from previous components to conflict with new hardware.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Cause it is a waste of money anyways.  If you are gonna spend like this for no reason, might as well grab the CPU that handles the extra PCI-E lanes for x16, x16 and buy a second GTX 980.

I am $100 cheaper, and my parts perform better.  Better RAM (faster), better CPU.  Motherboard performs exactly like the ASUS. 

I was just messing around, as the op is doing the same with his money.  It was "intentive" messing around though, as there was a purpose to my changes.  If OP cared to know why I made the changes, I would gladly engage in a discussion.

I would not make the jump to X99 from the Sandybridge personally.  It is a gaming rig, not a workstation.

Cause it is a waste of money anyways.  If you are gonna spend like this for no reason, might as well grab the CPU that handles the extra PCI-E lanes for x16, x16 and buy a second GTX 980.

I am $100 cheaper, and my parts perform better.  Better RAM (faster), better CPU.  Motherboard performs exactly like the ASUS. 

I was just messing around, as the op is doing the same with his money.  It was "intentive" messing around though, as there was a purpose to my changes.  If OP cared to know why I made the changes, I would gladly engage in a discussion.

I would not make the jump to X99 from the Sandybridge personally.  It is a gaming rig, not a workstation.

Both your RAM and his are the same speed...

And as far as the CPU once you over clock both the CPU's to the same speed they are literally the exact same speed.

Also what if he wanted some ASUS motherboard specific features?

I do agree with the last comment if he was only gaming but since he's streaming he will see a substantial difference is snappiness and less stutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgDZKGA89I    < more cores for streaming.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Both your RAM and his are the same speed...

And as far as the CPU once you over clock both the CPU's to the same speed they are literally the exact same speed.

Also what if he wanted some ASUS motherboard specific features?

I do agree with the last comment if he was only gaming but since he's streaming he will see a substantial difference is snappiness and less stutter.

The Mushkin RAM rates it's timings at CAS12, the Corsair at 15.  The Corsair makes up for it a bit with a higher clock... they are actually about the same... really.  The Mushkin is not really faster.

0.0056 seconds per request for both sets.

His i7 is fine for simple game streaming.

I really enjoy new tech and am one of those people that wants the best I can afford at all times. I'm looking to make a few big purchases and would love some feedback.

• CPU
    i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz
  • Motherboard
    ASUS P67 Sabertooth
  • RAM
    16gb Corsair Vengeance
  • GPU
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 OC (1400mhz GPU Clock / 7750mhz Memory Clock)
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD / 600GB WD Raptor
  • PSU
    Corsair AX1200
  • Display(s)
    LG 34UC97 3440x1440
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K65 Mechanical
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    AKG K712 Pro Studio Reference Headphones / Mayflower Electronics O2 Amp Dac Combo
  • Operating System
    Windows 8.1

I'm looking to replace the CPU/Motherboard/Ram and (Cooler for aesthetics/watercooling)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cBc8CJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cBc8CJ/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Silverstone TD03 92.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($97.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1067.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-19 23:12 EST-0500

I do plan on adding a second 980 within 6 months.

This build is for gaming/streaming... What kind of performance increase can I expect? Also, will using the same hard drives be as simple as plug and play so I don't have to re-install everything?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you would notice any improvement in gaming performance. You might see a bit with streaming.

Adding a second GTX 980 will of course boost gaming performance. But similar improvement would be noticed it were were added to the existing build.

The quickest and most pain free approach to the upgrade process is to reinstall the o/s. This necessitates reinstalling all programs. It is time consuming but good prep eases the process.

You might consider waiting for the release of Broadwell cpu. Expected sometime in the April - June timeframe. Or perhaps even wait for Skylake which is expected by the end of 2015.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

@JScott03 you can look at the roadmap of intel cpus. your current i7 is doing still very well there is acutally no reason to upgrade. even the i7 4790k is not that much faster justifying the price tag. same goes for the i7 5820k its even a little slower during gaming because of the lower clockspeed. but feel free to go full enthusiast:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($202.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $883.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-20 09:14 EST-0500

post-138674-0-45290300-1424441370.jpg

post-138674-0-45290300-1424441370.jpg

Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D with 2x SP120 / 1x AF120 Mainboard: Z97 Msi Gaming 5 CPU: i7 4790K @4.0 Ghz CPU-Cooler: Noctua U14S RAM: 16 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600 Mhz GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X HDD: WD Green 2 TB SSD: Samsung Evo 250 GB PSU: Corsair RM 750W Monitor: BenQ XL 2411z 144hz 1080p

@JScott03

Add a 2nd GTX 980 into your current pc if you need to. Going from an i7 2600K to X99 doesn't make much sense. You still have a very capable system.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I was unaware of the upcoming tech in cpus but that's how it is in the pc world should have known. To answer a few of your questions...

The reason I went with Asus is only because I have always owned/purchased Asus. This and I forgot to mention I'm going for a Black/White color scheme. Same goes for the corsair ram. The green pcb on the mushkin bothers me but I do like the price.

Streaming is my main reason for wanting to switch to 6core. Even streaming Mobas (hereos of the storm) I notice a large performance hit. This could of course though have something to do with my obs settings.

I'm very familiar with installing a new OS and clearing up my old harddrives... it would just be nice to plug and play. I'll try that first and see if I run into any issues.

Best answer was chosen based on my questions being answered. Thanks again. I am going to wait a little bit to hear of upcoming intel cpus. Adding a second 980 at this point seems like the best option.

Thanks again to everyone!

I'm very familiar with installing a new OS and clearing up my old harddrives... it would just be nice to plug and play. I'll try that first and see if I run into any issues.

There are some guides on the net that detail steps for replacing the motherboard drivers, etc. without reinstalling the o/s. If you haven't done so already you may want to check them out. I am skeptical that the processes will go well since one would be moving to a different motherboard architecture.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.