Need a new storage device ^_^

DXS

Hi, so i have two 3TB external HDD that i use plus my laptop's 1 tb drive but am running out of space fast  :( really fast,

i was thinking of getting a 4tb but it would just add to the bulkiness  :angry: which is getting kinda of too much.

So i need help in choosing a new storage device :) , i want to get something like 20TB, something that i can upgrade later on :rolleyes:,

if or when it starts getting filled up, I have collections of movies currently occurring 3tb, and i have been holding back because of lack space,

i have collections of musics, pictures and apps  <_< you could say am a collector of some kind, i thought of getting a NAS but couldn't even decide 

if i should go with QNAP or Synology not to even talk about which model i should go for if i finally made a choice and then i saw this,

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/249837-insane-compact-nas-2014-48tb-network-attached-storage/.

And now am like oooO that looks good :wub: , i mean i would obviously make mine 20 and not 48 but am really lost,don't know if i choose a different 

case for the build or if i should even build or buy a NAS...Ahhh so confused, need help. I just need something that has a lot of space,that i can use as backup and

i don't have to carry it with me to assess my collections.

Any suggestions is appreciated

Thanks  

I don't think you're going to get any hard drives that big. Especially for a laptop. Are you using external hard drives right now?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I don't think you're going to get any hard drives that big. Especially for a laptop. Are you using external hard drives right now?

Well i hasn't looking for a single hard drive of 20TB :D  and yes i am currently using two 3tb external hdd

Well i hasn't looking for a single hard drive of 20TB :D  and yes i am currently using two 3tb external hdd

I'm really not sure.

How many movies do you have? That sounds like an absolute extreme amount of media to reach 3+TB

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I'm really not sure.

How many movies do you have? That sounds like an absolute extreme amount of media to reach 3+TB

Only my movies fill up one of the 3 tb, the other 3tb has my apps,games,doc, and videos , i have a lot of movies,especially anime series, i have a full collection of both disney and pixar till 2013 i think or maybe 14 and have a lot of movie series collection  :rolleyes: and really i have been holding back on adding more lol am like Goku from DBZ

At that rate sell off the externals and build yourself a small cheap storage server lol

At that rate sell off the externals and build yourself a small cheap storage server lol

Hmmm good point but i was going to add the externals to whatever storage device i get, plus i need more storage,selling the one i already have isn't really an option

I have a lot more data than you. :P

I have a D-Link DNS-325 2 bays NAS with 2x 4TB WD Red in raid0, and 4x 1TB WD Elements 2.5 USB 3.0.

And I'm in need to get 4x 2TB WD Elements 2.5 USB 3.0, because 1 of my 2 HDD's in the NAS is dying, can't write into it, only read. And will backup all 8TB to external HDD's, so then I can send the faulty HDD to RMA.

And I will get a D-Link DNS-345 4 bays NAS when WD releases Red with 10TB HDD's, and 4x 10TB WD Red. :P

System 1: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus AT5IONT-I mini-ITX - Intel® Atom™ D525 onboard 1.8GHz Dual-Core HT - Integrated NVIDIA® ION™ - 2x 2GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

System 2: Thermaltake Element Q - Thermaltake 220W SFX - Asus E2KM1I-DELUXE mini-ITX - AMD E2-2000 onboard 1.75GHz Dual-Core - Integrated AMD® Radeon HD 7340 - 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 - Samsung 120GB 840 Series - Scythe Kama Rack 3.5 - Asus DVD-RW

Building: Bitfenix Prodigy Black - Corsair AX860i - Asus Maximus VII Impact - Corsair Hydro Series H100i - Intel® Core™ i7 4790K - Asus Matrix Platinum GTX 980 4GB - Corsair 16GB Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz CL10 - Samsung 1TB EVO 840 Series

Hi, so i have two 3TB external HDD that i use plus my laptop's 1 tb drive but am running out of space fast  :( really fast,

i was thinking of getting a 4tb but it would just add to the bulkiness  :angry: which is getting kinda of too much.

So i need help in choosing a new storage device :) , i want to get something like 20TB, something that i can upgrade later on :rolleyes:,

if or when it starts getting filled up, I have collections of movies currently occurring 3tb, and i have been holding back because of lack space,

i have collections of musics, pictures and apps  <_< you could say am a collector of some kind, i thought of getting a NAS but couldn't even decide 

if i should go with QNAP or Synology not to even talk about which model i should go for if i finally made a choice and then i saw this,

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/249837-insane-compact-nas-2014-48tb-network-attached-storage/.

And now am like oooO that looks good :wub: , i mean i would obviously make mine 20 and not 48 but am really lost,don't know if i choose a different 

case for the build or if i should even build or buy a NAS...Ahhh so confused, need help. I just need something that has a lot of space,that i can use as backup and

i don't have to carry it with me to assess my collections.

Any suggestions is appreciated

Thanks  

Hello DSX and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud EX4. It is a good 4-bay NAS with many features that could be very useful. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=7QT9fJ

For simple storage it might be cheaper and more adequate to make a NAS yourself with a large enough case, good RAID controller and powerful enough CPU and RAM to act as a server. I would strongly recommend using NAS/RAID class drives as they work smoother, better and safer in RAID environment due to their additional features in their firmware and tuning. I could recommend WD Red and WD Red Pro. Both a great drives and have specific designs. Here are links to both of them:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I have a lot more data than you. :P

I have a D-Link DNS-325 2 bays NAS with 2x 4TB WD Red in raid0, and 4x 1TB WD Elements 2.5 USB 3.0.

And I'm in need to get 4x 2TB WD Elements 2.5 USB 3.0, because 1 of my 2 HDD's in the NAS is dying, can't write into it, only read. And will backup all 8TB to external HDD's, so then I can send the faulty HDD to RMA.

And I will get a D-Link DNS-345 4 bays NAS when WD releases Red with 10TB HDD's, and 4x 10TB WD Red. :P

Yaya  <_< thats only coz you have more space than me -_- for now anyway, lol :D  nice specs though

Hello DSX and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

I could suggest checking out WD My Cloud EX4. It is a good 4-bay NAS with many features that could be very useful. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=7QT9fJ

For simple storage it might be cheaper and more adequate to make a NAS yourself with a large enough case, good RAID controller and powerful enough CPU and RAM to act as a server. I would strongly recommend using NAS/RAID class drives as they work smoother, better and safer in RAID environment due to their additional features in their firmware and tuning. I could recommend WD Red and WD Red Pro. Both a great drives and have specific designs. Here are links to both of them:

Captain_WD.

Thanks very much, will check them out :D