want to be a game developer where to learn the good stuff?

levsingh

hey guys i am doing a games development course which is undergraduate and i am in my first year. whatever they tought us right now is basics, we are working with 3ds max for modelling and unity for the engine. but aside from that they are doing other stuff like flash, hardware and stuff which i know is important but they are not in the field which i want to work. so basically its a 3 year course and the speed which they are moving in is too slow at the end of the 3rd year all i will know is how to make some basic structures but i want to push so i am researching on this topic finding tutorials etc have improved alot but there are some stuff that are important and there are no tutorials for that and stuff and i dont know what to do. 

so i hope you get my picture. i want to learn some pro stuff which i know no one is gonna tell for free so could you guys suggest any online tutorial sites or any classes where i can go or any online tutors you know. i dont want paid tutorials that just explain some basic stuff but some advanced stuff. btw i live in london so if anyone know any places where i can go or something. HELP 

-snip-

I use some of those tools for basic simulation, and C/C++ is almost a requirement.

I'd recommend learning some high and low level languages.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I use some of those tools for basic simulation, and C/C++ is almost a requirement.

I'd recommend learning some high and low level languages.

yeah we will learn c# for unity. i know c++, action script a little

yeah we will learn c# for unity. i know c++, action script a little

I'm not a game designer by any means, but I often design audio solutions like theaters, and I build them in UE4 after my paper draft, and editing the way the materials respond to sound exactly as it should takes some serious programming. You'd be glad if you learned the languages. Ruby, Python, Fortran, C, C++, and at least dip your feet in assembly language.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

As far as where? I learned on my own, but I've heard good things about Turing school, but it's not online.

http://www.lynda.com/Programming-Languages-training-tutorials/1467-0.html?previousCategory=50

http://www.lynda.com/Game-Design-training-tutorials/1461-0.html?previousCategory=1

And you'll find plenty of other topics on those pages & others on Lynda.com to help you. I've found their tutorials to be very good! And a subscription is really affordable. Of course the best part is being able to learn just as fast as you can go through a video.

You should be able to find a Linus link with discount, too.