POST taking a long time

soup

Used the AI tweaker (after hearing how good it was:Linus even said it got to within a few percent of what he could achieve manually)to overclock wasn't sure about it so reloaded defaults.  After this, POST seemed to take an age (30~40secs) sure it used to be much shorter than this.  Flashed BIOS to the latest one cleared CMOS but still takes 30~40 secs to POST .  Is this a reasonable time for POSTing and I was imagining the short POST before or am I SOL?

MoBo is a Sabertooth Z79 mark II BIOS is now 2205

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I have the same problem, POST taking forever. Are you getting a red BOOT_DEVICE LED on your board too? Because that's what's causing me the holdup.

Right after a wee bit checking I realised I had my MP3 player plugged in (USB).  In my old system I had it plugged in 24/7 so it was always fully charged whenever I needed it.  The UEFI must hunt for USB items(as that [for some reason] was first in the boot order) and on finding a file system on it tries (usuccesfully) to boot from it, after several tries it tries the second item in the boot menu, the SSD in my case, this works, it is this trying (usuccesfully) to boot from the MP3 player that was taking the time .  Try checking all your USB ports for something plugged in .  You could also check your boot order in the UEFI.

Good luck, and thanks for the lead if I hadn't had the side off and was lying on the floor to watch for red LEDs I would never have noticed, and so thought of, the MP3 player being plugged in.

"This too shall pass"

Only have two USB devices connected to the motherboard right now, my mouse and keyboard. I'll check the device manager for anything out of the ordinary.

Mmm have put the player back in with the intention of moving it down the boot order IT DOESN'T APPEAR and the POST is still relatively quick .

I am fairly sure I saw the player on the boot list last night but I can't see it this morning (was working till 2:30 in the morning (GMT) so when I had pulled the player out and everything worked called it a night).

Must have been something coincedental that got changed at the same time as the player was unplugged . Or perhaps removing the player reset something (equivalent to switching it off and on again ;) ).

All I can suggest is for you to enter your UEFI and ensure your boot order is as expected.

Good luck

Edit:-

Apparently boot-LED staying lit indicates that the board has not found a proper boot device (yet) so whatever device you are booting from ensure it is good.and ensure the boot device is plugged in to SATA 0 and that your SATA cable is good .

Mmm seeing that line about ensure boot device is in SATA 0 has made me think  - Am I definetly plugging the player into the USB socket (same controller.) that it was in last night, but as everything works just now shan't try to break it.

"If it aint broke don't fix it."

"This too shall pass"

Within the BIOS you should be able to enable, partially enable, or disable USB devices on boot (should be titled something like USB Initialization). Default should be on partial. You can try messing with the different initialization settings to see the effect on POST times, but it sounds like you've identified the device dragging the time down. If it's plugged into the front USB header you can try swapping it to the MOBO, or vice versa, to see if that has an effect as well.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

• 3 months later...

Personal bump

"This too shall pass"