Best socket for crysis 3?

Ok now im reaaaaallllyyyy screwed up.

Z87 VS Z77 VS X79?

#OMG

Can someone share experiences on having different socket.

WIll i7 3820 improove performance over i5 3570k (since i7 3820 is recommended in c3 builds)

And will core i5 4670k improove performance over x79 since ive seen some hexa core cpu's and quad i7's are getting worse than quad core i5's in gaming.

Since i cannot find some comparising on internet my main question for those who dont understand bunch of letters up there:

i5 3570k or

i7 3820

or i5 4670k

#LinusTechTips

I would love if Linus made a comparson between those CPU's up there and even do a video of how to build a kickass c3 PC since i haven't seen that video yet.

The i5's CPU are great for gaming, the i7's are the same as the i5's but the i7's offer hyper-threading which is not needed for gaming, that is why people always recommend i5's for gaming since you'll be saving $100.

The three CPU's that you have listed are all very similar in terms of gaming performance. If you will want to save some money, go for the i5 3570k on a Z77 platform. If you want something that is newer generation for a slight price increase meant and VERY slight performance difference, go for the i5 4670k on the Z87 platform and for gaming, the i7's are pretty much the same as both of the i5's plus hyper-thread (Which games DO NOT use)   

Also considering you said "For Crysis 3" you do not need an extremely powerful CPU to run this game, the Z77 or Z87 platform will be more than sufficient than needed. The Z79 platform are more for the "Enthusiasts" people who intend to use up a lot of CPU power. For a game like Crysis 3, the GPU will be the important role.  

Did you really just hashtag "Oh My God?"

4670K.

LGA2011 is intended for enthusiasts as well as low cost workstations (the non-xeon line).

LGA 1150/LGA 1155 are more mainsteam and intended for gaming,low-mid intensity 3d modeling and video editing,as well as general use scenarios like browsing.

the 4670K would most likely do best out of those three because it has higher IPC than Sandybridge E and Ivybridge

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Even something like an i5 2500k would be fine for gaming if you could find one and get a motherboard for it. Although cause it's probably hard to get a new 2500k, a 3570k would be great.

any of the i5s is a good choice (so socket 1150/1155), there is very little difference between them unless you're using the iGPU (I seriously hope you don't plan to do that...). I'd go 1150 for the sake of upgradeability and having the latest featureset.

The i5's CPU are great for gaming, the i7's are the same as the i5's but the i7's offer hyper-threading which is not needed for gaming, that is why people always recommend i5's for gaming since you'll be saving $100.

The three CPU's that you have listed are all very similar in terms of gaming performance. If you will want to save some money, go for the i5 3570k on a Z77 platform. If you want something that is newer generation for a slight price increase meant and VERY slight performance difference, go for the i5 4670k on the Z87 platform and for gaming, the i7's are pretty much the same as both of the i5's plus hyper-thread (Which games DO NOT use)   

Also considering you said "For Crysis 3" you do not need an extremely powerful CPU to run this game, the Z77 or Z87 platform will be more than sufficient than needed. The Z79 platform are more for the "Enthusiasts" people who intend to use up a lot of CPU power. For a game like Crysis 3, the GPU will be the important role.  

Did you really just hashtag "Oh My God?"

Thanks, very informative post, I was asking about those things because i did see increase up to 20 fps stepping from z77 to x79 platform.

And just ignore hash tag OMG, it was meant to be a joke, very stupid -.-

any of the i5s is a good choice (so socket 1150/1155), there is very little difference between them unless you're using the iGPU (I seriously hope you don't plan to do that...). I'd go 1150 for the sake of upgradeability and having the latest featureset.

so stepping from x79 to z87 is a good choice and will give better performance? i seen people get better fps with z87 on 1440p: averages about 50 fps on that rez and high setting, and as far as i know 1440p for this game is monstrious, and the guy didnt even had a good gpu

so stepping from x79 to z87 is a good choice and will give better performance? i seen people get better fps with z87 on 1440p: averages about 50 fps on that rez and high setting, and as far as i know 1440p for this game is monstrious, and the guy didnt even had a good gpu

Highly doubt that. 

For me, all settings maxed out and on a 2560x1440 monitor I barely get 17 FPS. My CPU is a 3770K (Overclocked) and my GPU is a GTX 680 (Overclocked) 

Who said that? And FYI, Crysis 3 requires a lot of GPU power, not that much emphasis on CPU, as long as it's a decent quad (i5 3570K/4670K/ i7 3820). Heck, even an FX8320/8350 can manage Crysis 3 relatively well. I know mine can, but only because I have a pair of GTX670 in SLi on my FX8350 setup. I can play Crysis at Very High setting, FXAA @5760x1200 on my main rig, if I were to run the game @1080projectors, I can easily maintain 60fps and higher.......that is enough to tell me that C3 is more GPU intensive than CPU intensive.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Go for a z77 or z87 config. Saves you a tonne of money if you buy an i5 and both platforms, 1150 and 1155 perform great for games, x79 is an overkill.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Thanks people, based on your posts i decided to go with i5 4670k later in the future. :D

Nice hashtags... Seriously?

Go with 4770k.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I am gaming intense, and everyone can say that I5's are best for that, i should really go for haswell i5, but thank you on your advice! :)