Tech Tips 4 Youtubers

LDX

Tech Tips 4 Youtubers?

I am starting this thread to collect all the knowledge needed for a Noob youtuber, and also not so noobs

I started to upload some renders just for fun and in the way I decided to go further, and I have learned a few things, but still need to find out many things 

Right now I am researching about a decent Camera for HQ videos, so far I have done evrything with a cheap Logitech C510 webcam

But I am looking to improve and to have better tools available just in case, Options so far (in the budget) are a used nikon D5100, Lumix G5, Samsung NX1000, etc

but I am sure you have much better sugestions for that

so topics I would like to discuss are:

-Best gear (Camera, Lighting, Sound) In the Budget Between $300 to $600 (or anything under the $1000)

-Adsense and copyrights: what kind of 3rd party material can I use and for how long (songs, videos, pics, etc) 

-How can I know that my Adsense/Youtube setup is already working

-Software: Editing (Vegas, Premier, Win Movie Maker, etc)  best format files (MP4, MWV, AVI, MOV, etc.), best FPS (24, 30, 60, etc) 

And if u want to discuss additional topics, Pls feel free to add them..... :)

You'll never be able to actually talk about best gear, since that's all quite reliant on budget.

I can tell you right now one of the best cameras would be the Red Epic Dragon, but it costs $50000.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You'll never be able to actually talk about best gear, since that's all quite reliant on budget.

I can tell you right now one of the best cameras would be the Red Epic Dragon, but it costs $50000.

Red dragon cam for a youtuber?

But okay let me edit the post

AS for the best fps, I'm pretty sure youtube compresses it to 30 fps and 192kHz on 1080p.

okay so 30 fps is Okay? cause I have heard 24 is the utube fps, but I was wtaching this video yesterday

okay so 30 fs is good? cause I have heard 24, but I was wtaching this video yesterday

30 fps is the best for youtube so might as well use same fps as youtube.

About gear... Don't buy a $4000 camera of you just starting to make videos for YouTube... It's just wrong. 

Start with something more affordable.

And don't skimp on audio! (In my opinion) you better of using your phone camera and have a decent microphone. Than having an epic 4K video with crappy audio that makes you think you're in a low bandwidth Skype call with a crappy microphone...

Again don't buy a $300 microphone if you're a beginner. Buy something like a $40 USB microphone and a slightly cheaper camera setup should impoove your production value by a lot...

I myself about to get a blue snowball ($60) and a Canon t3i to start...

And take advantage of the daylight in your room. Open the window, and take more videos at good hours... So you won't have to buy separate lighting kits. 

Tripod. Depends in your video style... If you need one and you don't need the smooth movement. Get a cheap one...

Getting a t3 and separate usb Mic might need extra audio sync on post
I remember that Linus broke his external Mic in Korea so slick started to use an external recorder
But that's extra work

Anyway a t3 it's still a little bit expensive for me

Was thinking in something more affordable but still have the chance of changeable lenses

Anyway a t3 it's still a little bit expensive for me

Was thinking in something more affordable but still have the chance of changeable lenses

You could get one of those mirrorless cameras they can be around $300 such as the nikon 1 j1

Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS is a awesome camera

CowboyStudio lighting is best for under 100 dollars.

ePhoto green screen is best for effects

So far for equipment.

To earn money you can use Adsense and youtube partnership.

3rd party networks arent good since normal youtube partnership features you on front page when you get more than 300 views.

There are many free copyright-free songs and images. And ive heard from Pewdiepie that he uses copyright things and he never had any youtube, and goverment encounters.

So far for earning money.

Best editing software is Vegas, best formats are mpeg4 and MP4.

Best resolution is 1280x720: Takes less to upload than 1080p and personally i cannot notice any bigger difference, you can probably do on 4k TV's.

So far about everything. Hope this helps

Software recording wise...

Paid programs;

-DXTory

-FRAPS

-Bandicam

-XSplit(has local recording option, but this is subscription based)

Free;

-Open Broadcast Software(is primarily a streaming program, but has local recording, like XSplit)

Editing/rendering wise...

Paid;

-Sony Vegas Pro

-Adobe Premiere

Free;

-Handbrake

-Windows Movie Maker

Personally I am currently configuring OBS to get a decent quality for video recording that isn't too big file size wise, if it is then I'll just configure Handbrake to compress it further. Format I use is .mp4

Formats
Great, so far I think we can all agree that 30fps in MP4 is the best way to go in terms of format
I agree, 720 might be the best in terms of uploading speed and even playting speed,
I still need to wait youtube to load If I want to watch 1080p, and for my screen size 720p is OK
But some guys might want to have their videos available on 1080p, we dont know how is gonna in the near future
and there might be some audiences that watch youtube on their 50" TV sets

Software
I have been using vegas too, just cause I find it more user friendly
I am also using "atube catcher" because it has many tools in just one place:
Youtube clip downloads in the format u need, screen capture, file converter, etc
although for gameplay recordings I think the winner will be always "fraps" (but thats me)

SO...!

AdSense....!!!
I also believe that youtube partnership is the best way to go, however I have heard that 3rd party firms
pay more for views, but u need to be very careful with the copyrights of your content.... Better to stay sticked to the Boss
Monetizing
I was askin that cause I have used a whole song from Feeder (Shade) for one of my gameplays and youtube didnt allow me
to make money from that specific video... is like everytime they find out there is a song involved in ur videos, it gets tricky
So I was thinking that perhaps there is a trick, I mean for an instance just using like 10 seconds of a song with copyrights

But I will never know, some of my videos that has music that I have composed and record by myself at home were not allowed for monetizing
So I am not sure what is the right formula, since some other videos with copyright content are monetizing right now...

Cameras!!!!
Lets list a few models of entry level cameras suitable for youtube production... (Between $300 to $400??)
Some features for this list might be:
-Changeable lenses
-External Microphone input (Just in Case) Some models support audio thru' the "hot shoe"
-Flip LCD Screen??? Or Not? Just in case u are a "one man band" and want to see how the angle is showing
-FullHD 1080p (Just in case) and Mp4 Export video format.
-Decent Low Light Capture, So U won't spend too much in lightning gear
and other features u might wanna list

I have been considering Lumix G5, Samsung NX1000, Nikon D5100, etc...

Go with a GH2 if u can get one for a good price. Micro 4/3 cameras have VERY GOOD VIDEO, and they can be had cheap 2nd hand. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Cameras!!!!

Lets list a few models of entry level cameras suitable for youtube production... (Between $300 to $400??)

Some features for this list might be:

-Changeable lenses

-External Microphone input (Just in Case) Some models support audio thru' the "hot shoe"

-Flip LCD Screen??? Or Not? Just in case u are a "one man band" and want to see how the angle is showing

-FullHD 1080p (Just in case) and Mp4 Export video format.

-Decent Low Light Capture, So U won't spend too much in lightning gear

and other features u might wanna list

I have been considering Lumix G5, Samsung NX1000, Nikon D5100, etc...

I would look around for a Canon T3i on sale. Now that there are two new versions with pretty much no updates, you can find good deals on a refurbished, or even new t3i. It fits all of your requirements, and is even a great photo camer too if you want to get into photography. 

Yes, the T3i is a bit on the expensive side, especially for a beginner... Power shot is not a bad option. I however think about an HD camcorder for around $400 is something more appropriate. I chose the T3i because I wanted to shoot still images. And a DSLR is much better for that...

By the way, what video editing software you think is appropriate for a beginner on YouTube?

I'm planning to buy the CyberLink PowerDirector 11... But I'm not sure yet...

I've heard that PowerDirector is the fastest professional video editing software and it supports AMD GPU acceleration... Not just CUDA...

But I might look for some free software for now...

I would look around for a Canon T3i on sale. Now that there are two new versions with pretty much no updates, you can find good deals on a refurbished, or even new t3i. It fits all of your requirements, and is even a great photo camer too if you want to get into photography. 

you are not the first to recommend that model, I am starting to get interested in that one

and it is within the budget, even when I have read that the Nikkon equivalent is a little bit better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Kiss-X4-550D-Rebel-T3i-with-EF-S-IS-II-18-55mm-Zoom-Black-/190864106763?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2c7063250b

Go with a GH2 if u can get one for a good price. Micro 4/3 cameras have VERY GOOD VIDEO, and they can be had cheap 2nd hand. 

yeah I professional photographer in my city recommended me the same model

but I think is a little bit beyond my budget

Getting a t3 and separate usb Mic migt need extra audio sync on post

I remember that Linus broke his external Mic in Korea so slick started to use an external recorder

But that's extra work

I know, but there are tricks to make audio sync easy and fast...

Like clap at the beginning of the recording, then in post production you match the clap frame to the spike in the sound wave. It is not 100% accurate but then you can tune and tweak it... It takes less then a minute usually...

I know, but there are tricks to make audio sync easy and fast...

Like clap at the beginning of the recording, then in post production you match the clap frame to the spike in the sound wave. It is not 100% accurate but then you can tune and tweak it... It takes less then a minute usually...

well I just think trhat since the T3i have a mic input, u might wanna take advantage of that

but i have considered doing that If I ever get a Lumix G5, cause It doesnt have mic input (AFAIK)

U might wanna look into the Samson GoMic, its portable, and also has a Mic output, and also has a usb port...

very versatile

I have a Canon 500D, I think it's referred to a TiRebel in the US. I thought this would be a good starter but apparently you can't use an external mic with it :( is it worth looking at another audio recorder and syncing audio?

I have a Canon 500D, I think it's referred to a TiRebel in the US. I thought this would be a good starter but apparently you can't use an external mic with it :( is it worth looking at another audio recorder and syncing audio?

didnt know that, I better get the 550D, just in case

however u might be okay if u are recording at ur pc just by using the built-in mic

if there is not much echo comming from the walls, u can also use a screen to avoid echo

I don't like to recommend a product without using it, but this $200 camcorder has nice reviews on Amazon, Sony HDR CX190...

Flipable display: Y

1080p: Y

Low light performance: Y (in the reviews and in product description)

Changeable lenses: No

Another good looking deal for a refurbished canon vixia HF R300 for $170 in amazon (looks even better than the Sony above, if you don't mind the refurbished)

30/24 FPS: yes

Flipable display: yes

1080p: yes

Low light: decent + (thanks to the low resolution sensor. 3.28 megapixel)

Smart autofocus looks very interesting

Optical image stabilization

(In one of the reviews, bad battery life was mentioned)

If you want 60 FPS (for some slow motion) you can step up to the $250 HF R400 model.

A better camera, Canon Vixia HF M500 for $550 in amazon

With a much better image stabilization, much better low light performance thanks to the CMOS pro sensor and 1920x1080 sensor resolution (sounds low, 2.1 megapixels)...

I'm not sure about if I can add an AA filter to any of them... They didn't mention any AA filter in the description... And I'm a bit conserned about aliasing and moire...

I'm probably going to get the T3i and put Magic Lantern firmware... If I can squeeze it into my budget...

well I just think trhat since the T3i have a mic input, u might wanna take advantage of that

but i have considered doing that If I ever get a Lumix G5, cause It doesnt have mic input (AFAIK)

U might wanna look into the Samson GoMic, its portable, and also has a Mic output, and also has a usb port...

very versatile

But as far as I understand the audio interface, sound card if you like in the canon cameras isn't good enough...

And I totally forgot that I have got a Zoom H4n in here... So I'll probably won't have to buy a microphone anyway...