Nvidia SLI GPU outputs?

Go to solution Solved by n0x1ous,

When using SLI, all monitors need to be hooked up to the main card.  If using multiple cards but not running sli you could use the displayports from each no problem.

This is one of the reasons Nvidia switched to having 3 DP ports on the reference gtx 900 series.

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

Quick question, if you SLI 2 cards with both 1 Displayport output, does that give you the ability to use 1 output for 1 monitor and 1 for the other?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I'm pretty sure you can only ever output from one card?

Not sure, but DP supports native daisy chaining

Does it? I only knew about those displayport hubs that made 1 connection into 3 individual display connections.

Sig under construction.

I'm pretty sure that you can hook monitors up to both cards if you want and it would work perfectly fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm pretty sure you can only ever output from one card?

Does it? I only knew about those displayport hubs that made 1 connection into 3 individual display connections.

From DP 1.2 onwards, it supports native daisy chaining.

From DP 1.2 onwards, it supports native daisy chaining.

Daisy chaining?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

When using SLI, all monitors need to be hooked up to the main card.  If using multiple cards but not running sli you could use the displayports from each no problem.

This is one of the reasons Nvidia switched to having 3 DP ports on the reference gtx 900 series.

Mothership - 3770k @ 4.5 - 980ti SLI - Z77UD5

Protégé - FX8350 @ 4.8 - Fury X - CHVFZ

How do you know which one is the main card?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Is that exclusive for DisplayPort, because it's sure as hell not true with DVI...

How do you know which one is the main card?

Generally its the top most card in the first available x16 pcie slot.  Also if you go into nvidia control panel to enable SLI it will show GPU1 GPU2 etc.......

I've only glanced at this thread but unless you want both displaying at once this isnt true. (he never said if he did or didnt)

I have 2 monitors in 1 card and my TV in my second card (hooked with with a mix of DVI and HDMI) and I swap freely between the tv and the 2 monitors.

Further more if I disable SLI via the nvidia control panel I'm 90% sure I can power all 3 displays at once (havent done it in a while) no matter what card im plugged into.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Is that exclusive for DisplayPort, because it's sure as hell not true with DVI...

Well it had a lot to do with gsync since that is DP only and people wanted to run 3 gysnc monitors in SLI.  Its ideal.  I know you could run SLI surround off multiple cards DVI's in the past, but I believe that was only when Nvidia has a 2 display per card limit.  I think it changed with Kepler

I've only glanced at this thread but unless you want both displaying at once this isnt true. (he never said if he did or didnt)

I have 2 monitors in 1 card and my TV in my second card (hooked with with a mix of DVI and HDMI) and I swap freely between the tv and the 2 monitors.

Further more if I disable SLI via the nvidia control panel I'm 90% sure I can power all 3 displays at once (havent done it in a while) no matter what card im plugged into.

absolutely true.  i just assumed he wanted both displaying at once.

Well it had a lot to do with gsync since that is DP only and people wanted to run 3 gysnc monitors in SLI.  Its ideal.  I know you could run SLI surround off multiple cards DVI's in the past, but I believe that was only when Nvidia has a 2 display per card limit.  I think it changed with Kepler

Ugh that's frustrating.

Ugh that's frustrating.

Indeed - Im not 100% sure on that though so don't take it as gospel

Indeed - Im not 100% sure on that though so don't take it as gospel

I just tested it with HDMI and it only works with SLI off. I don't have any DVI cables or compatible devices any more but I can't imagine it will be different.

Thanks for the help!

Basic guide to CPU's!