device with optical input and 5.1 bare wire outputs

lunarlyte

I am looking for a small receiver/amp or something that has optical input from pc and with bare wires +/- outputs to speakers. Does anyone have any ideas? need a make and model or even a link.

Small? Not possible. You want a full blown amp/receiver combo. You're taking a digital signal and turning into real audio outputs that can power full size speakers.

I guess relatively small. maybe thin receiver size. I just don't want something that is full blown home theater receiver size. the particular inputs and output is more important than the size.

The real challenge is the form factor you are asking for.  There are a thousand options in a full size receiver, not so many in smaller ones.  You might find something like that separate but I think your best bet is going to be in one of the HTiB (Home Theater in a Box), that includes a slim line receiver and a bunch of cheap cube speakers.  Then you just use your own speakers.  Something like this $159 RCA system, perhaps.  Just be advised that not all such systems have optical IN, so read the specs carefully:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0W3-000J-00001

The Marantz NR1403 might be one possible solution but is nearly $400 (Amazon):  http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1403-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0081N916M/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1424025064&sr=1-5

Creek, NAD and Rotel all used to have options in this form factor a decade ago but how available they are today is going to take some detective work.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

I was trying to not go the HTiB route but I think you are right and that would most likely be my best option. I might just tear open my old logitech z-5500 and see if I can get it to work. That's why I was wondering about this. I have all the speakers mounted and didn't want to change them, just needed an interface between pc and speakers. 

that sewell DAC looks intriguing but that pro grade amp is not what I am looking for. I really don't want this project to cost an arm and a leg, but thanks for the links.