G3258

I ran a G3258 and a GTX 970, and Skyrim was bottlenecked but still very playable, while Bioshock Infinite ran perfectly (e.g., 100% GPU load with VSync off). I can't say anything about the AC games since I never played them on the system, but in most new games my GTX 970 was bottlenecked pretty badly by my overclocked Pentium. For instance, Tomb Raider was pretty badly bottlenecked to the point it was really annoying playing through it. Of course any bottleneck you have with a GTX 960 will be way less than with a GTX 970 though. Still, if you can spend the extra $30-$45 on an i3-4130, i3-4150, or i3-4160 to go with the 960, I would highly recommend it. GTX 970 + G3258 is a horrible combination for the most part; the bottleneck is ridiculous.

If you're seriously thinking 970, instead of paying $420 for a G3258 + GTX 970, you could spend roughly that same amount on an i5-4440 and an R9 290 and get a vastly superior, I'm talking night and day, better gaming experience. The R9 290 is very close to the GTX 970 in performance, and an i5 or better makes a huge difference for gaming since most games seem to be optimized for quadcores now. The R9 290 would get bottlenecked hugely by a Pentium or i3 though, while the performance is rock solid with an i5 or better.

I have a G3258 and 970 currently, and while I did have some bottlenecking in TR, it never dropped below 80fps with everything maxed.

I say go for the G3258 and the 970. Save for a couple paychecks and get a 4690k. Then you can pair the 3258 with a cheap H81 board and have a decent HTPC starter kit.

I have a G3258 and 970 currently, and while I did have some bottlenecking in TR, it never dropped below 80fps with everything maxed.

I got really lousy GPU usage in the Mountain Village section especially with my 4.4GHz G3258 + GTX 970.

Therefore it shits on AMD in Skyrim and vast majority of games.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

Remember that big post that shit on you with facts?

Most games use one or very few main thread(but could use more than 2, perhaps for sound, network, debug...etc.), where pentium's lower core count isn't as big of problem as AMD weak singlecore performance.

And, clearly, pentium is strong enough to compete with i3.

G3258 would still bottleneck where quad threading is prefered.

G3258 would still bottleneck where quad threading is prefered.

You do realize that bottleneck always exists, right?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Im thinking of getting g3258 for now and changing to skylake processor when it's out next time :o is that good idea?

I got really lousy GPU usage in the Mountain Village section especially with my 4.4GHz G3258 + GTX 970.

Yeah, my GPU was definitely being necked but everything was still over 60.

DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO ARE SHITTING ON THE G3258.

If you OC the G3258 and OC your GPU you WILL be able to play Skyrim 40-70 AVG Fps.

Amen. I play Skryrim with RLO, pure waters and some other mods I've forgotten and it's still butter smooth. I disabled Vsync in control panel and enabled triple buffering.

just wondering, is there any cheaper itx mobos then asrock h97-itx ac that has dual band wifi?

Once the pentium is overclocked to say 4.5 ghz you will kick absolute ass in skyrim. Skyrim is known to depend heavily on single threaded performance. An area in which once overclocked, the g3258 excels at.

post-19725-0-66288800-1424079983_thumb.p

post-19725-0-66288800-1424079983_thumb.p

A 960 or a 760 is the GPU that I recommend you wont go higher with the G3258.

My 970 is perfectly fine on most games with my G3258. TR 2013 is a dream.

I researched the G3258 as an entry CPU for gaming recently and it does seem to make sense.

Get one of the Z97 Boards featured in LTT's Back for the Buck MoBo series, the G3258 and the highest end GPU you can fit into your budget.

Even with a GPU around the 200$ mark you will be able to play all your games (exept overmodding Skyrim).

As you can see, very playble framerates.

Also, you will be able to upgrade to a broadwell i5 to greatly enhance your processing power without having to switch plattforms.

I think this is a great combo and you will be very happy with it.

My 970 is perfectly fine on most games with my G3258. TR 2013 is a dream.

Show me your frame times, also do you suffer from stuttering ؟؟؟

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Show me your frame times, also do you suffer from stuttering ؟؟؟

Not at all. I usually stay around 120FPS.

Not at all. I usually stay around 120FPS.

What is your res and settings ??? What other games do you play ???  source games ??? Trine 2 ???? Battlefield 3/4 ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What is your res and settings ??? What other games do you play ???  source games ??? Trine 2 ???? Battlefield 3/4 ??

I also play CSGO, CoD AW and a load of other games.

I play on 1080p at Ultimate preset, but SSAO at normal becuase apparently nVidia cards aren;t optimised for the highest setting or smth

I also play CSGO, CoD AW and a load of other games.

I play on 1080p at Ultimate preset, but SSAO at normal becuase apparently nVidia cards aren;t optimised for the highest setting or smth

What is your FPS in CS:GO ??? Do you ever suffer from stuttering ??? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What is your FPS in CS:GO ??? Do you ever suffer from stuttering ??? 

Never. On Dust2, I get 170-210FPS and on Cache, around 140.

Never. On Dust2, I get 170-210FPS and on Cache, around 140.

What other games do you play ?? Do your gameplay sometimes just doesn't feel that smooth ?? Get little slow ..

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

THe GTX960 is a bit awfull for the money honnestly.

you can get a 280X for the same money, which is still a better card.

The GTX960 makes totaly no sense to me, its just as fast as the 760.

What other games do you play ?? Do your gameplay sometimes just doesn't feel that smooth ?? Get little slow ..

Why are you interrogating me?

Why are you interrogating me?

Trying to get information, tbh your the only person I met that said that his gaming experience with your hardware is good, if you don't feel comfortable or your being offended for some reason I'm sorry and you can drop this discussion.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ