Planning for my first build

dragonite400

Heyy whatsup guys

Just doing planning for my first build, I decided I want it to last at least like 4-5 years in terms of what it can do, looking for any tips, thoughts on said build, also I'm definitely going with air cooling, cause I don't need watercooling, it seems like it'll be too much of a fuss. Anyways here it is

Oh yes also I'm planning to game, not incredibly hardcore, depends how much I get into it over the years really, but I would like to run current/recent games on high/best graphics at 1080p.

Intel® Core™ i5 4690K Processor
Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD
Kingston Hyper X Fury HX316C10FBK2/16 16GB (2x8GB) Black
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce OverClocked 4GB Video Card
ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
Noctua NH-d15
NZXT Phantom 630 Case Matte Black with Window
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
=$1907

Extras:
Razer Deathstalker Gaming Keyboard
BenQ GL2460HM 24in Widescreen LED Monitor
Razer DeathAdder 2013 Gaming Mouse

=$319

Total = $2226

Cheers for all your opinions and help, take care aye and I'll keep an eye on this post :) Thank youuuuu :D

Dragonite400

Heyy whatsup guys

Just doing planning for my first build, I decided I want it to last at least like 4-5 years in terms of what it can do, looking for any tips, thoughts on said build, also I'm definitely going with air cooling, cause I don't need watercooling, it seems like it'll be too much of a fuss. Anyways here it is

Oh yes also I'm planning to game, not incredibly hardcore, depends how much I get into it over the years really, but I would like to run current/recent games on high/best graphics at 1080p.

Noctua NH-d15

=$1907

Extras:

=$319

Total = $2226

Cheers for all your opinions and help, take care aye and I'll keep an eye on this post :) Thank youuuuu :D

Dragonite400

Welcome!

I wouldnt go with 16gb of ram unless your editing, for gaming 8gb is enough. thats all i can say

And remember, youre here forever

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Heyy whatsup guys

Noctua NH-d15

=$1907

Extras:

=$319

Total = $2226

Dragonite400

The build is good.

Like @Rashy said though, 16gb ram is overkill for gaming. Go for two good 4gb 1866mhz sticks. You could probably stick another hdd in there with the money you saved.

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

The build looks great. If would change the peripherals if I were you but if you like them so be it. I don't see a PSU, why is that so ? 

Heyy whatsup guys

Noctua NH-d15

=$1907

Extras:

=$319

Total = $2226

Dragonite400

16 gb overkill, and always use pcpartpicker.com for your builds. makes it easier for suggestions.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

@Rashy Yeah that's been one of my major concerns, like 16 does seem a bit overkill aye, thank you :)

@tomison25 Cheers mate, yeah 8gb seems the way to go :) Although if I do I might just go 1600hz and one stick, I'm pretty damn sure the hz don't make a massive difference, although I'm not too sure about one or two sticks but thank you :)

@Rangelov Fair enough, to each their own about peripherals, I like em, I'm used to laptops, used em all my life so that kind of keyboard I think will work for me. And that is an extremely good point hah, totally forgot the psu my bad xD I'll have to search around.

@RedSphyxis Hah sure mate can do :D and thank you

@msquare That is fair enough, I think if I were to go with 12 I'd instead just go all out and get 16, although I don't think I'll be using monitoring software? I'm not entirely sure what kind of software you're talking about, I'd love it if you told me, but from the sounds of it 8 should be enough for me

Thanks everyone for all your help! Appreciate it heaps :D

@Rashy Yeah that's been one of my major concerns, like 16 does seem a bit overkill aye, thank you :)

@tomison25 Cheers mate, yeah 8gb seems the way to go :) Although if I do I might just go 1600hz and one stick, I'm pretty damn sure the hz don't make a massive difference, although I'm not too sure about one or two sticks but thank you :)

@Rangelov Fair enough, to each their own about peripherals, I like em, I'm used to laptops, used em all my life so that kind of keyboard I think will work for me. And that is an extremely good point hah, totally forgot the psu my bad xD I'll have to search around.

@RedSphyxis Hah sure mate can do :D and thank you

@msquare That is fair enough, I think if I were to go with 12 I'd instead just go all out and get 16, although I don't think I'll be using monitoring software? I'm not entirely sure what kind of software you're talking about, I'd love it if you told me, but from the sounds of it 8 should be enough for me

Thanks everyone for all your help! Appreciate it heaps :D

I think by monitoring software he meant recording... perhaps.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Hey wait, I have 16 GB of RAM and I never have a problem :huh: .

On topic, where do you live @dragonite400 ?  Those look like Canadian prices...jk..Aussie?

thats a great build for a first timer that motherboard will offre support for sli so when that gpu becomes underpowered (2 years plus at 1080p) then you can add another 970

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

@Rashy Ah yeah sounds like you'd be right mate :)

@msquare Ohhhhhhhhhhh okay makes sense why the extra ram is suggested, I don't currently record, I might one day, so I might just get extra ram then? Like one stick of 8gb should do me fine for now ^_^

@stconquest Haha sweet, ah screw it I'll do 16gb, it'll last me well enough hahah so many back and forth thoughts :P and Australia bro xD You were right on it

@LiamApex Thanks man I really appreciate it :D Yeah I totally agree with you about the motherboard aye it'll do me well :)

@Rashy Ah yeah sounds like you'd be right mate :)

@msquare Ohhhhhhhhhhh okay makes sense why the extra ram is suggested, I don't currently record, I might one day, so I might just get extra ram then? Like one stick of 8gb should do me fine for now ^_^

@stconquest Haha sweet, ah screw it I'll do 16gb, it'll last me well enough hahah so many back and forth thoughts :P and Australia bro xD You were right on it

@LiamApex Thanks man I really appreciate it :D Yeah I totally agree with you about the motherboard aye it'll do me well :)

no problem glad i could help 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Air cooling is fine when you have a cooler as massive as that, though since you said water cooling would be "Too much of a fuss", I don't think you're aware of closed loop coolers. The D15 is about $100, that can get you something like an H100i or, if you can spare $10 more, the H100iGTX (Basically, aside from minor technical improvements, it just looks cooler.). It's a closed loop, so it doesn't have any typical water cooling hassle like planning the loop, cutting the pipe, checking for leaks, etc.- You just mount the radiator on the case and the block on your CPU, plug the power & fans in, and done.

Honestly, the D15 is so massive that it will actually perform about as well as a closed loop cooler, so that's not why I'm suggesting it.

The reason you should get a closed loop cooler is precisely the reason why the D15 is good, it's massive. Usually it hangs above the RAM and it might interfere with the GPU, it might not even fit in the case (I haven't looked at the dimensions). The D15 is a cooler that you kind of have to plan for and word around. Something like the H100i gives you way more room. It's just a little block on the CPU with tubes connecting it to the radiator, easy access to everything around the socket.

I'm just saying this from personal experience, I used to use an EVO 212 which, while it's a big cooler, it isn't nearly as big as the D15, and it got in my way a lot. I got hold of an H100i and everything got easier.

There are other reasons as well, like the tower cooler actually heats up the inside of the case a bit more than a radiator does (Well, depending on your water loop), which can be bad for the MB and GPU, but that's negligible really.

Prices vary a little, but I would heavily advise you consider one of these: http://www.microcenter.com/product/404944/Hydro_Series_H100i_Extreme_Performance_Liquid_CPU_Cooler

Or, if you want it to look cooler, this one: http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h100i-gtx-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

And, if you do get one of those (Or a different one, those are just my personal recommendation-), note that it will be louder than the D15 by the very virtue of the fact that its fans aren't Noctua fans. You can replace them later on with Noctua fans, which is what I did.

The cooler aside:

That does look like a pretty solid selection. People are talking about your RAM, and while personally I use 16gb, and while all you actually /need/ is 8gb, I'd recommend something like 12gb. Cheaper than 16, gives you more room than 8. 

Just for reference, of my 16gb, my resource monitor has never said I'm using more than 45%. You can't see the monitor I use in-game with full-screen, but I do more demanding things outside of games anyway. Just a good idea of how much that actually is.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

@Dash Lambda Interesting and good thoughts Dash, I do know about the closed loop coolers, I've done my fair bit of research on air cooling and water cooling, even considered the whole fuss of doing my own but quickly decided against that hah way too costly for me. Anyways I do believe for me, I'm looking at about $50 more for the H100i rather than just $10 :P I know that the Noctua will fit inside the cash I've already checked that out, and it should be fine with the GPU I bloody hope it's fine. Considering I just found a company though that is a lot closer to me so I'll be paying less freight, I don't believe they actually have Noctua anyway, so it might be best for me to go with the H100i. I'm honestly not sure, thank you for telling me and giving me your opinion and suggestion :) also Cheers about the ram thing, really appreciate that aye :D I've decided finally to go for 16gb, it just feels right, like I know I'm not going to have any problems if I do that so yeah that's my final choice on that matter at least xD One thing at a time. Awesome mate thank you for your help!!!! :D

@Dash Lambda Interesting and good thoughts Dash, I do know about the closed loop coolers, I've done my fair bit of research on air cooling and water cooling, even considered the whole fuss of doing my own but quickly decided against that hah way too costly for me. Anyways I do believe for me, I'm looking at about $50 more for the H100i rather than just $10 :P I know that the Noctua will fit inside the cash I've already checked that out, and it should be fine with the GPU I bloody hope it's fine. Considering I just found a company though that is a lot closer to me so I'll be paying less freight, I don't believe they actually have Noctua anyway, so it might be best for me to go with the H100i. I'm honestly not sure, thank you for telling me and giving me your opinion and suggestion :) also Cheers about the ram thing, really appreciate that aye :D I've decided finally to go for 16gb, it just feels right, like I know I'm not going to have any problems if I do that so yeah that's my final choice on that matter at least xD One thing at a time. Awesome mate thank you for your help!!!! :D

I'm glad I could be helpful~ :3

Oh, and a quick note about that processor, that's the same chip I have and I can vouch for the fact that it is friggin' awesome for overclocking. My chip is stable at 4.6Ghz without exceeding the safe voltage or temp limits~

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.