Why no cases without 5.25" bays?

It seems to me that with optical drives becoming less and less used, that at least one case manufacturer would come out with a case without 5.25" drive bays.  But no such case exists to my knowledge.

The way I think about it is this.  You could use an external drive to install windows and do anything else that a traditional internal drive would do.  With the large drive bays out of the way, you would have much better cooling with air blowing directly at the cpu cooler (assuming air cooling) or you could fill it to the brim with 3.5" or 2.5" bays for hard drives and ssds, if you have a need for a large amount of storage.  Alternatively, there could be a basement type design such as with the Corsair 900D or Silverstone TJ07 that handles all the storage drives as well as the PSU, and make the case shorter and taller.  This brings the motherboard closer to the front of the case and further improving cooling for the CPU and graphics card.

So why has no manufatcurer taken a leap like this?  Is it too risky?  Would a case without them not sell well? Are there design challenges that I'm not seeing?

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

Well what's the point in them taking them out they can be used for things like hot swap bays.

The truth is that there are still many people that have an optical drive. There is no reason for them to not put one in as there would be less of a market (although not a large portion). People aren't suggesting it so they aren't making it.

And what would they put there.

I was thinking fan(s) or more hard drive or ssd bays.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K OC@ 4.4GHz | Cooler Master Hyper N520 | ASUS Maximus V Gene | 8GB Mushkin 1866MHz RAM | MSI R7970 Lightning | Seasonic X-850 | Fractal Design Define R4 White Windowed Edition

Peripherals: BenQ XL2420T 1920x1080@120Hz | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (with Cherry MX Browns) Mechanical Keyboard | Razer DeathAdder Left-handed Edition Mouse | ODAC to various things

I was thinking fan(s) or more hard drive or ssd bays.

True.

Fractal's node 304 doesn't have an optical drive bay.  I think there a couple of others but not many.  Most manufacturers don't want to exclude certain parts of their market that do still need one.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

fractal4.jpg

ypu mean like this? ODD bays are slowly dying, but still users request them.. drill

bit and a drill makes them go away..

airdeano

Caselabs cases all have no optical bays. Instead they come with brackets that you can install if needed.

I would buy one of it would be suitable. I don't have drive in my r3. Sometimes I have used external for os install but now I install from usb stick.

Optical drives are far from obsolete. Many people still prefer the experience of physically purchasing and installing a game, and most music lovers will definitely prefer an actual CD over an iTunes download. 5.25 inch bays can also be used for things like fan controllers.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

it would be cool, if they still had the slot on the case for the 5.25 inch bay, but with a removable cage and another cage for hdds and ssds that could be put in place of it.

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

it would be cool, if they still had the slot on the case for the 5.25 inch bay, but with a removable cage and another cage for hdds and ssds that could be put in place of it.

Well they're completely different sizes so it's easier said than done.  5.25"-mounted drive bays are an simpler solution.

I think they should stay, cases look better with them anyways and its doesnt case space problems in every case.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1