Lollipop on the S3

thorpj

Firstly, apologies if you jumped onto this thread, expecting to see "Official Android 5.0 for the S3", sorry... that wasn't my intention.

We know that's not going to happen, but i dislike Touchwiz on 4.3, immensely. So i'm looking for an unofficial way to get Lollipop on my S3.

I found an oppertunity...

And then found this on the last page of his XDA thread...

5PcAogC.png

So that's not going to happen.

Now i'm fine with a PC, but when it comes to phones, and rooting, and all of that, i know very little. But i can research, and follow a process. The only mention of getting 5.0 on the S3 seems to be cyanogen mod. But i've no idea what i'm supposed to do there.

There seems to be a million different versions, files and processes.

The model number for my S3 is: GT19305T

TLDR: How can i get 5.0 on my GT19305t [samsung S3]. 

If you can't help me, please direct me to the right place if possible

thanks in advance

EDIT1: Found this: Could it be useful?   http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/rom-namelessrom-2-0-t2990550

EDIT2: Final post by arter97 in his thread: 

st2Xqz3.png

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-t-mobile/orig-development/rom-slimlp-d2att-alpha-build-0-91-t3026996

There is that, never used SlimLP Because my device doesnt support it, but it seems fine

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-t-mobile/orig-development/rom-slimlp-d2att-alpha-build-0-91-t3026996

There is that, never used SlimLP Because my device doesnt support it, but it seems fine

Hi, thanks for your advice

I'd rather not with some rom that's in beta.

It makes a lot more sense for me to use Android L

Perhaps you could shed some light on this?

st2Xqz3.png

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Hi, thanks for your advice

I'd rather not with some rom that's in beta.

It makes a lot more sense for me to use Android L

Perhaps you could shed some light on this?

st2Xqz3.png

Pre3tty sure almost all lollipop roms for  the S3 are beta :(

Hehe, that's probably true.

Would you know how long it'll take for the Lollipop roms to exit beta?

FYI: I saw a weekly update report from my carrier (in november) saying that the S3 would be getting kitkat, status: "waiting for samsung to test" But since then i've read that there's been some problems, and my carrier just told people to go speak to Samsung, which is a bit of a d move...

Hehe, that's probably true.

Would you know how long it'll take for the Lollipop roms to exit beta?

FYI: I saw a weekly update report from my carrier (in november) saying that the S3 would be getting kitkat, status: "waiting for samsung to test" But since then i've read that there's been some problems, and my carrier just told people to go speak to Samsung, which is a bit of a d move...

I would flash CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.4) and be done with it, it is an upgrade other 4.3 but sadly not 5.0 :(

I would flash CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.4) and be done with it, it is an upgrade other 4.3 but sadly not 5.0 :(

Hmm ok, so is there no promise in trying CyanogenMod 12, as Arter suggested? I'd imagine that i could survive a few bugs, provided that they're not huge deal breakers.

From the [limited] talk that i've heard about this stuff, Cyanogen mod seems to be quite popular, so it would seem that they've got a solid team working on it. Besides, the One+ uses it :)

yup all cm12 roms are either nightly or rc 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

yup all cm12 roms are either nightly or rc 

Hmm ok,

having just read up on what RC, nightly and all that actually mean [:D]

I guess an RC build would be ok for me. Fairly stable sounds good 

Ok, thanks for your help all. I won't be able to reply to any more messages till later...

having just read up on what RC, nightly and all that actually mean [ :D]

Basically beta builds. Not meant to be used as daily drivers but for the most part can

Big thing that's broken right now on S3 is video recording

"Rawr XD"

Basically beta builds. Not meant to be used as daily drivers but for the most part can

Big thing that's broken right now on S3 is video recording

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know

Thankfully i'm not big on using a phone as a video recorder anyway :)

Reading the comments:

0drrzfB.png

Back to searching :D

Reading the comments:

I highly doubt that there's no device maintainer for S3... it's one of the most popular phones out there

"Rawr XD"

I highly doubt that there's no device maintainer for S3... it's one of the most popular phones out there

I did see that, but i've also read elsewhere, and from a number of XDA devs that have had to make their own ROM for the S3, because there's no device maintainer for the S3.

I've been doing a lot more research, and i've finally hit something! 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development-i9305/rom-resurrection-remix-4-4-2-kitkat-v5-t2704828/post51612639#post51612639

I'll just need to figure out how to root, then use a recovery tool, and the ROM.

This looks promising :)