RAM suggestion - Savage, Predator etc.

Go to solution Solved by cesrai,

Hyperx fury I would recommend but the other two are great as well.

Okay, so, my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard is having some issues properly recognizing one of my two Corsair XMS3 1333 MHz CL9 DIMMs... so I'm selling this RAM.

Now, what should I get?

HyperX Predator 8GB (2x4GB), 2400MHz, CL11, 1.65V ----------------------------- about 85 USD (mind you, this is the price for a re-sealed package, not brand new)

HyperX Predator 8GB (2x4GB), 1866MHz, CL9, 1.5V -------------------------------- about 82 USD (again, same as above : re-sealed, not brand new)

So I'm guessing the first (or third?) option is my best pick?

Or should I get two DIMMs of HyperX FURY Blue 4GB, 1600MHz, CL10, 1.5V (40 USD a piece)? Haha...

Hyperx fury I would recommend but the other two are great as well.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Would HyperX Predator 1866 MHz CL9 be better than those? Especially for the price, I mean.

It's great but it too long so it may cause trouble with some air coolers, it has a green PCB, but it OC very well and it's from Kingston, I would recommend any type of RAM from Kingston as I have used them and they never failed me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's great but it too long so it may cause trouble with some air coolers, it has a green PCB, but it OC very well and it's from Kingston, I would recommend any type of RAM from Kingston as I have used them and they never failed me.

I've got a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO right now.

I think I'm gonna go with the third option. Seems like it's the best bang for the buck (at least on paper). They wouldn't interfere with the cooler, would they?

I've got a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO right now.

I think I'm gonna go with the third option. Seems like it's the best bang for the buck (at least on paper). They wouldn't interfere with the cooler, would they?

What will be the orientation ???  the fan will push air to top or back ??? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What will be the orientation ???  the fan will push air to top or back ??? 

They shouldn't interfere with the cooler, as I'm gonna install them on the RAM sockets 2 and 4 (1 being the closest to the CPU)... The CPU fan takes air from... I dunno how to say this... with the case standing up, the CPU cooler draws air from downwards.

They shouldn't interfere with the cooler, as I'm gonna install them on the RAM sockets 2 and 4 (1 being the closest to the CPU)... The CPU fan takes air from... I dunno how to say this... with the case standing up, the CPU cooler draws air from downwards.

So the fan would push the air to top ??? it takes the air from the bottom and pushes it up, I don't think they will be a problem with RAM and the CPU cooler.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

So the fan would push the air to top ??? it takes the air from the bottom and pushes it up, I don't think they will be a problem with RAM and the CPU cooler.

Here's a very artistic diagram.

The black scratches you see near the GPU = cables. They do interfere with the front intake fan air flow quite a bit, I suppose, but there's nothing I can do about it. Temps are great so far.

post-76761-0-21763200-1423825193.jpg

Here's a very artistic diagram.

The black scratches you see near the GPU = cables. They do interfere with the front intake fan air flow quite a bit, I suppose, but there's nothing I can do about it. Temps are great so far.

I don't think there will be any problem.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I don't think there will be any problem.

With the placement, yeah. Hope the same will apply for the motherboard, because, as I said, HyperX isn't listed on the motherboard - RAM compatibility list at all.

But hey, neither is the current RAM I got installed... 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1333 MHz CL9... 4 GB usable, 4 GB hardware reserved (BIOS sees all 8). If I try to boot the system with DIMM #1 alone, it doesn't post. So it is compatible, in a way, even though Gigabyte doesn't list them. Haha.

Have you determined the cause of the issue? The way i see it, either...

- The board's memory systems might be problematic

- You could be selling someone a faulty RAM kit

You should make sure that you won't encounter the same issue on another kit, and make sure you're not ripping off some poor bloke

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

With the placement, yeah. Hope the same will apply for the motherboard, because, as I said, HyperX isn't listed on the motherboard - RAM compatibility list at all.

But hey, neither is the current RAM I got installed... 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1333 MHz CL9... 4 GB usable, 4 GB hardware reserved (BIOS sees all 8). If I try to boot the system with DIMM #1 alone, it doesn't post. So it is compatible, in a way, even though Gigabyte doesn't list them. Haha.

It's okay they Hyperx fury isn't listed on my motherboard support list or my friends and it works fine.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Have you determined the cause of the issue? The way i see it, either...

- The board's memory systems might be problematic

- You could be selling someone a faulty RAM kit

You should make sure that you won't encounter the same issue on another kit, and make sure you're not ripping off some poor bloke

I tested the RAM in two other systems and it works just fine.

On my system, if I try to boot with only ONE DIMM, it doesn't post. Regardless of the RAM socket I try it in. With the OTHER DIMM, it works. With both DIMMs, it works, but... BIOS, CPU-Z, Speccy show 8 GB, Windows only uses 4...

There's gotta be something within that RAM module that my specific motherboard doesn't like.

gotcha. as you were

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

gotcha. as you were

I'm not ripping off anyone.

I'm getting ripped off if the new kit doesn't work... will have to return the motherboard ---- spend another 10 days taking it out of the case lol.