Coin Mining

hey everyone. YES I KNOW, I will not make money mining coins. I been following bitcoin since it was sub 300$, and when litecoin used to hit 15$. now its back to 200ish, and litecoin is sub 2$? what?!

anyway, writing a paper on crypto. And now I actually have some decent hardware (7970/7950), my friends seem intrested in coins. So figured could mine some, know it wouldnt be worth much, just a few cents, but just to show the conecpt off to my classmates. 

I know how to mine, get a wallet, ect, but what coin would you guys recommend right now? 

that and when I tried several litecoins pools, it gets stuck with not being able to connect to servers, Yet I know everything is set up correctly?

any help would be appericated!

Well if its just for an exercise, and to make a point, i think that bit coin would be the best (not talking value for watt or whatever here).

It's most well known, so people will be somewhat familiar.

It has a "bad" rep, to those who aren't educated on the subject, making it an attention grabber. 

And finally it has an interesting recent history. Making it a good one to talk about with regards to economy and such things. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Another casualty of slow type speeds. GG No RE

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Another casualty of slow type speeds. GG No RE

lol :P sorry... gg indeed ;P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

-snip-

oh really? i thought mining bitcoins would get you absolutely nowhere with gpus. 

and just for fun, would something like this be worthwile?

http://www.amazon.com/Gridseed-Miner-Litecoin-Bitcoin-Mining/dp/B00J4XPKJU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423790404&sr=1-6&keywords=bitcoin+miner

Not really looking to make up its worth, just for a fun project. and If i do get it, and it has a claimed 10gh/s. isnt that 1,000 times faster then those gpus? and for 50 bucks?

Certain GPU's are great for mining, however nothing beats an ASIC. 

X11, X13, X15, Scrypt-n, NeoScrypt, Lyra2RE, etc coins can only be mined with GPU and CPU as there are no ASICs thus the diffculty is lower then you trade those for BTC. You will make virtually nothing with such a low power ASIC miner.

Yeah, I understand that some are so slow it doesnt matter, but 10gh/s seems really powerful for 50$. when 500$ of gpus can only barely hit 12mh/s

You don't seem to understand the difference between different proof-of-work algorithms. You can see for yourself that the ASIC you listed can go up to 10000MH/s doing SHA256 but only 0.34MH/s doing Scrypt.

yeah, I seem to be getting them mixed up. are you mining scrypt or sha256? 

i apologize for my ignorance, I mined a bit in 2013, but I was just on a hd 7770 at the time, so didnt do much. 

Neither as both are saturated with ASICs. Other algorithms that I listed including X11 can only be mined with CPU and GPU.

so x11 is what I should look into then? 

Yes and other algorithms that can not be mined with ASICs.

any idea why GUI miner would say it cant connect?

internet clearly works

host is copied off of their website,

statum on like website says

worker and pass are correct

port is correct

I installed the amd delevoper apk.

only thing Im thinking is maybe the drivers? im on 14.12. anti virus is off. any ideas?

Certain GPU's are great for mining, however nothing beats an ASIC. 

Well a GPU obviously beats an ASIC, when an ASIC doesn't even exist for the algo. 

I'd hit up a power efficient cryptocurrency that uses X11 or something alike.

Darkcoin and Vertcoin are the only ones that come to my mind. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!