Macbook Pro heating

flamer7

Hey there guys, so when I play games on my rMbp(750m), it tends to get hot. For example, I can only run Dying light on the LOWEST specs, 1280x800 for only a minute or so before it starts to overheat and lag like crazy. I know macs suck at gaming, but can anyone tell me if elevating the laptop will help with the heat issues? Anyone? And if any of you have the same graphics card, could you tell me how your performance is? I get lag even in games such as Fifa!

on what surface are you using your Macbook?

Uhm, the table is wooden? Yeah wood

I doubt it, unless you're playing on a heater or something. The cooling is macs is just crap, by design, so that the average user thinks "omg so silent" when the reason it's so silent is that it isn't cooling as it should.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hey there guys, so when I play games on my rMbp(750m), it tends to get hot. For example, I can only run Dying light on the LOWEST specs, 1280x800 for only a minute or so before it starts to overheat and lag like crazy. I know macs suck at gaming, but can anyone tell me if elevating the laptop will help with the heat issues? Anyone? And if any of you have the same graphics card, could you tell me how your performance is? I get lag even in games such as Fifa!

Try this I use it on my 15 inch retina macbook pro that also has a GTX 750m. It allows you to ramp up the fans to a maximum of 6400rpms though I would only recommend 4000-4500 at max which should be sufficient. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

I dont play many games on my mac but the ones that I do play with this fan software I am capable of playing on high-ultra at 30+ frames.

I doubt it, unless you're playing on a heater or something. The cooling is macs is just crap, by design, so that the average user thinks "omg so silent" when the reason it's so silent is that it isn't cooling as it should.

Yeah I guess so. dang!

Try this I use it on my 15 inch retina macbook pro that also has a GTX 750m. It allows you to ramp up the fans to a maximum of 6400rpms though I would only recommend 4000-4500 at max which should be sufficient. http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

I dont play many games on my mac but the ones that I do play with this fan software I am capable of playing on high-ultra at 30+ frames.

Yeah I do use that, but when I play in bootcamp windows I cant use that

dont game on a mac buy a pc

No more $$ man

dont game on a mac buy a pc

Some people dont have a choice such as me my mac was forced on me by my old college. It was apart of the tuition to pay an extra $3,000 for my mac and about $1,000 worth of software. I intend to build a pc in 4 weeks when I get my next student loan check and sell my mac since I transfered to a different college that doesn't require a mac.

Yeah I do use that, but when I play in bootcamp windows I cant use that

Unfortunately on bootcamp your SOL since OSX limits what windows can or can not do thats why I only play games on the OSX side of mine except for games like League of Legends which arent demanding at all and I can play on max settings 50+ frames without it heating up. I have tried downloading both MSI Afterburner and Intel extreme tuning utility to try and set a custom fan curve and that function is locked on the Windows side.

Yeah I guess so. dang!

It MAY be possible to undervolt your gpu a little to see if temperatures improve, but I'm not sure there's a safe way to do so on a mac and I wouldn't be surprised if it involved voiing your warranty. In the process you might also be able to force the fan to spin at 100% even if it's loud, but again, do so at your own risk...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It MAY be possible to undervolt your gpu a little to see if temperatures improve, but I'm not sure there's a safe way to do so on a mac and I wouldn't be surprised if it involved voiing your warranty. In the process you might also be able to force the fan to spin at 100% even if it's loud, but again, do so at your own risk...

He will void the warranty Apple doesnt like anyone tweaking their hardware. The best advice I can give him would be depending on which model of macbook he has to sell his. For instance mine is a late 2013 15 inch retina macbook pro with a 2.3Ghz i7 16gb of ram 512gb SSD and a GTX 750m which when you combine the fact that I have the 3 year extended apple care warranty, Lojack for mac, and Microsoft office for mac I am able to get around $2,200 for mine used. If yours is newer you can get a similar price and just build a desktop while still having plenty of cash leftover.

How old is your MacBook? You might need to clean it. 

It's the retina model with the 750M. So it is fairly new. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

well... it's a poorly cooled laptop that relies partly on its aluminium construction for heat dissipation. has almost no air intakes. Having a dGPU doesn't help either.

Shouldn't come as a surprise really. Most you can do is make sure it's well-ventilated and that you keep the fan curve up

He will void the warranty Apple doesnt like anyone tweaking their hardware. The best advice I can give him would be depending on which model of macbook he has to sell his. For instance mine is a late 2013 15 inch retina macbook pro with a 2.3Ghz i7 16gb of ram 512gb SSD and a GTX 750m which when you combine the fact that I have the 3 year extended apple care warranty, Lojack for mac, and Microsoft office for mac I am able to get around $2,200 for mine used. If yours is newer you can get a similar price and just build a desktop while still having plenty of cash leftover.

Yeah I bought apple care as well :/

How old is your MacBook? You might need to clean it. 

Ehm, a year or so?

You can use Macs Fan Control while on Mac and on Bootcamp: http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Cool! I'll try it out!

well... it's a poorly cooled laptop that relies partly on its aluminium construction for heat dissipation. has almost no air intakes. Having a dGPU doesn't help either.

Shouldn't come as a surprise really. Most you can do is make sure it's well-ventilated and that you keep the fan curve up

Yeah, will elevating the laptop from the front damage it in any way? Like if I place a book under the front part, is that alright?

Yeah, will elevating the laptop from the front damage it in any way? Like if I place a book under the front part, is that alright?

Should be totally fine. I don't see a problem with it. It's a laptop. People think they're super-fragile because of their thin displays, but they're really not that flimsy. Macbooks are among the sturdiest.

Send it in to have its innards cleaned...

Then get a good cooling pad... The cooling down the aluminum unibody should at least help in some way..

Should be totally fine. I don't see a problem with it. It's a laptop. People think they're super-fragile because of their thin displays, but they're really not that flimsy. Macbooks are among the sturdiest.

Yeah I guess so, thanks KemoKa

Send it in to have its innards cleaned...

Then get a good cooling pad... The cooling down the aluminum unibody should at least help in some way..

I'm flying to Australia soon for studies, so I'll hold out buying cause it may be bulky? Or is it? And what cooling pads would you recommend for rMbp?

I'm flying to Australia soon for studies, so I'll hold out buying cause it may be bulky? Or is it? And what cooling pads would you recommend for rMbp?

Not sure, but chek what's available at your price point... I've seen good ones from CoolerMaster and DeepCool... They're not exactly too bulky (depending on the model), but considering the MBP, the slimmest one would be about 1 and 3/4 to twice the thicknes of an MBP...

Not sure, but chek what's available at your price point... I've seen good ones from CoolerMaster and DeepCool... They're not exactly too bulky (depending on the model), but considering the MBP, the slimmest one would be about 1 and 3/4 to twice the thicknes of an MBP...

Hmm, not too bad! I'll check em out