Help?

wjm22400

Okay so i have a ps3 and i would like to open it up and take a look at it, But there is a problem. in the front where their are star screws there is a little nub in the middle of the screw which wont let me unscrew them so, what do i do?

What model PS3 is this?

I am not 100% but i dont think it is a slim but its not one of the first ps3's either

just get a torx screwdriver set. 

I'm gonna ask a stupid question.... What is that

That's an incredibly stupid question (:

Torx (pronounced "torks"), developed in 1967 by Camcar Textron, is the trademark for a type of screw head characterized by a 6-point star-shaped pattern.

Sig under construction.

It's not a stupid question.   However, I have a feeling you'll want a security torx bit.  The security screw has a raised center to make it slightly more difficult to open. Years ago, I managed to open mine with a small flat-head screw driver, but it's hard to completely describe how to position it. 

Check out this for the original design

This one for the slim revision.

And this one for the last version

It's not a stupid question.   However, I have a feeling you'll want a security torx bit.  The security screw has a raised center to make it slightly more difficult to open. Years ago, I managed to open mine with a small flat-head screw driver, but it's hard to completely describe how to position it. 

Check out this for the original design

This one for the slim revision.

And this one for the last version.

This will help me, but the problem is that in the middle of the torx screw there is a nub that wont let me unscrew it

This will help me, but the problem is that in the middle of the torx screw there is a nub that wont let me unscrew it

Ya that's what I was saying in my previous most.  I was able to turn the security screw on mine by using a small screwdriver in the gap as shown in the picture.  If you have one small enough, it's pretty easy.  There's enough leverage. 

post-122698-0-54020700-1423542887.png

You can also use a knife. It work with my CECH-3001A, the screws were a little stripped. You can also clip the nubs off to

If you want a proper screw driver for this you need the "tamper proof" ones link these http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Point-Tamper-Proof-Piece/dp/B002P4YCGM/ref=pd_sim_hi_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZGR5CHRE33T74RNPXA4

Some times refered to as T* as opposed to normal Torx which are T

That one won't work (wrong shape), but this one will.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SPLQ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_cc_2?qid=1423572051&sr=1-2-catcorrπ=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Torx+security+bit

Ya that's what I was saying in my previous most.  I was able to turn the security screw on mine by using a small screwdriver in the gap as shown in the picture.  If you have one small enough, it's pretty easy.  There's enough leverage. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-09 at 10.33.15 PM.png

Okay thanks this helps, If i cant find something small enough to unscrew it with i will get the special screw set that you posted.

It's not a stupid question. 

Well it is a bit dumb, considering he could have Googled it. :0/

;0P

I just found something that fit. I think I just used a flat-head that fit.

Be really careful with the ribbon cable latches, they're really delicate and if they break (or detach, and you can't get them back on) then it's pretty much over for the PS3.  

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Well it is a bit dumb, considering he could have Googled it. :0/

Nearly every question asked on any forum can be found by Google'ing.    And nearly every Google search has a forum reply in the top 5 results.  

That inherently makes asking questions in a forum a very good idea.  Even the "dumb" ones. 

Nearly every question asked on any forum can be found by Google'ing.    And nearly every Google search has a forum reply in the top 5 results.  

That inherently makes asking questions in a forum a very good idea.  Even the "dumb" ones. 

Dude, I was joking. :0P

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

I can be oblivious sometimes.   :mellow:

That's okay. Apologies if it looked like hostility. Maybe I should edit it (you can't always tell what people mean in text) :0/

That's okay. Apologies if it looked like hostility. Maybe I should edit it (you can't always tell what people mean in text) :0/

Nah.  I heard it as fairly neutral in my head... as was my reply.  

I'm reminded of Key and Peele's "Text Message Confusion."   

Those would be torx security bits. They are a pain in the ass. You will have to buy a specific driver for this but once you own one thy are nice to have around for other things.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.