Recommended graphics card for Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU (@ 3GHz) and Asus P5KC motherboard (PCI-E 1.0)

Xen0m0rph
Go to solution Solved by ApolloX75,

I'm looking for the best graphics card for my old PC such that it won't be bottle-necked by the following components, which i do not intend to upgrade anymore:

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 overclocked at 3 GHz
  • Motherboard: Asus P5KC - looks like it supports only PCI-E 1.0; also, it supports DDR2 RAM only
  • Case: Antec 302 - it's a mid-tower case, so it won't fit comfortably very long cards

I will probably upgrade though the current amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB and the power supply if needed.

As you can imagine, i'm not necessarily looking for last-gen 4K GPUs, but instead the best GPU whose maximum performance won't be unattainable due to bottle-necking of the rest of the components. Right now i don't have any budget limitations planned for this.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Anything suggested here will work fine. PCI-E revision specs don't change the physical socket like the old AGP ones did, so don't worry about that. It won't bottleneck it either.

750 ti is probably the best solution for you or an R9 270, that Q6600 is still a good chip even after all these years but pairing it with a GTX 970 might be pushing the envelope.

I'm looking for the best graphics card for my old PC such that it won't be bottle-necked by the following components, which i do not intend to upgrade anymore:

• Motherboard: Asus P5KC - looks like it supports only PCI-E 1.0; also, it supports DDR2 RAM only
  • Case: Antec 302 - it's a mid-tower case, so it won't fit comfortably very long cards

I will probably upgrade though the current amount of RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB and the power supply if needed.

As you can imagine, i'm not necessarily looking for last-gen 4K GPUs, but instead the best GPU whose maximum performance won't be unattainable due to bottle-necking of the rest of the components. Right now i don't have any budget limitations planned for this.

GTX 970/R9 290X if the sky is the limit. If it really is, upgrade your system too.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Pretty much anything, a Q6600 won't bottleneck any where near as bad as my Core 2 duo E8500. (Its motherboard was PCIe gen 1 as well, and Crysis 3 on Ultra was above 60FPS average for me when I upgraded it to an X5450).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

GTX 970/R9 290X if the sky is the limit. If it really is, upgrade your system too.

I do not intend to upgrade my current system, i'm replacing it with another one anyway, but i'll still have this one around for me or my brothers.

GTX 970 on PCI-E 1.0, when its specifications support PCI-E 3.0, wouldn't it be wasteful?

Pretty much anything, a Q6600 won't bottleneck any where near as bad as my Core 2 duo E8500. (Its motherboard was PCIe gen 1 as well, and Crysis 3 on Ultra was above 60FPS average for me when I upgraded it to an X5450).

I'm more "afraid" of the motherboard actually, it's a really old one (2006 i think).

I do not intend to upgrade my current system, i'm replacing it with another one anyway, but i'll still have this one around for me or my brothers.

GTX 970 on PCI-E 1.0, when its specifications support PCI-E 3.0, wouldn't it be wasteful?

Well in that case a get a GTX 750ti or something similar, or if you can find one, a GTX 650Ti OC 2GB, they are good for games at 1080p, medium settings.

I'm more "afraid" of the motherboard actually, it's a really old one (2006 i think).

It will be fine, I'd be more worried about the power supply if your going to install a new graphics card.

PMSL

GeForce GT 720 V2

Looks like it's a lower end GPU, with passive cooling, i was hoping there could be some better compatible GPUs (GTX 500 or above).

Anything suggested here will work fine. PCI-E revision specs don't change the physical socket like the old AGP ones did, so don't worry about that. It won't bottleneck it either.

750 ti is probably the best solution for you or an R9 270, that Q6600 is still a good chip even after all these years but pairing it with a GTX 970 might be pushing the envelope.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I know, it's not PCI-E compatibility that i'm questioning but rather the limited bandwidth that may cap the GPU's performance.

The 750 ti does indeed look like a good match. Thanks.

I know, it's not PCI-E compatibility that i'm questioning but rather the limited bandwidth that may cap the GPU's performance.

The 750 ti does indeed look like a good match. Thanks.

Even high end cards won't get bottlenecked with original PCIE x16, don't worry about it.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Even high end cards won't get bottlenecked with original PCIE x16, don't worry about it.

Yep, once I cranked my X5450 up a little bit,my GTX 970 was hitting 100% usage in all games. PCIe version never has quite the impact people expect.

PMSL

strix 750 ti. looks great, and it really is silent as fuck

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

750TI or a 960, could look into a 2ndhand 760/770

Let's agree to disagree

750TI or a 960, could look into a 2ndhand 760/770

GTX 960-waste of money and a PCIe slot.

PMSL