....Did I just short circuit my PC?

TallOne123
Go to solution Solved by TallOne123,

Here's the promised update to my dilemma.

Well, I haven't been as lucky as some people here. Users have seen sparks go off when they made the same mistake I had, and their computer functioned just fine. As for me, there weren't any fireworks but my PC wasn't so lucky. 

Symptoms: Whenever I tried turning my PC on, every fan and LED would light up for just a sec, and then shut itself down, then start back up, then shut itself down ad infinitum. Through a quick search on the intertubes, this was either a problem with the motherboard or my power supply.

Determining the problem: This was the easy part. I just tested the power supply to see if it worked, and if it did then the problem would be with the motherboard and vice versa. I performed the standard

courtesy of corsair and discovered that my power supply was supplying wattage normally. Which meant my mommyboard went dead. F*ck me. 

What apparently works: Replugging every cord and extension that relates to the power supply and motherboard, and rebooting the PC. 

What definitely works: Just getting a new motherboard LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'm typing this from the computer I short circuited; I replaced the motherboard and got it working again. Hopefully this helps others out there who are suffering the same thing I have.

Hoo boy, I think I'm in a bit of trouble here.

I believe I just short circuited my PC, but I can't be sure because I've never experienced it before. Here's what happened: While my computer was still on, I plugged in the PSU molex extention to the molex part of my PCIE to Molex adapter while the 8-pin PCIE portion of that adapter was already connected to my graphics card. Computer then shut down.

Now whenever I try to turn it on, the motherboard and GPU lights up, and all my fans spin, but it only stays on for around two seconds before it shuts down, then it turns back on, then shuts down, repeat, repeat, repeat. It stops after I turn off my PSU or pull the plug on my PSU.

Now the question is, is there salvation for my rig? And if not, then is this a symptom of a short circuited PC? Which component of my PC did I just fry? And how do I verify that?

----------------------------------------

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth z87 TUF series LGA 1150

GPU: Sapphire r9 290

CPU: i5 4670k

I think its also worth mentioning that my CPU was not overclocked, just my GPU.

Remove the gpu and try to power it on. 

Also, don't plug/unplug hardware while it's power/ed/ing on, thats just asking for trouble. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Try unplugging your cables from the hardware and replugging it. 

note: Never ever ever plug stuff while the system is on, ever.

Either you're master race or you're not.

Also, don't plug/unplug hardware while it's power/ed/ing on, thats just asking for trouble. 

Try unplugging your cables from the hardware and replugging it. 

note: Never ever ever plug stuff while the system is on, ever.

I'll be doing that now, be back very soon.

Please, anyone, more fixes or suggestions?

Hoo boy, I think I'm in a bit of trouble here.

I believe I just short circuited my PC, but I can't be sure because I've never experienced it before. Here's what happened: While my computer was still on, I plugged in the PSU molex extention to the molex part of my PCIE to Molex adapter while the 8-pin PCIE portion of that adapter was already connected to my graphics card. Computer then shut down.

Now whenever I try to turn it on, the motherboard and GPU lights up, and all my fans spin, but it only stays on for around two seconds before it shuts down, then it turns back on, then shuts down, repeat, repeat, repeat. It stops after I turn off my PSU or pull the plug on my PSU.

Now the question is, is there salvation for my rig? And if not, then is this a symptom of a short circuited PC? Which component of my PC did I just fry? And how do I verify that?

Unplug everything, then pull the card out and re-seat it. Sometimes that's all it needs.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

well hopefully you only killed your PSU and not your GPU or the rest of your system 

But its not looking good 

Its a vary bad idea to plug Components in while the computer is running.

Okay, does unpluggign all the hardware mean unplugging my peripherals and PSU from the motherboard, or does it also entail me unplugging the PSU's 24 pin extension that feeds power to the motherboard as well? BC ive been trying to get that out for a while now but it doesnt even budge. My fingers hurt.

Okay, does unpluggign all the hardware mean unplugging my peripherals and PSU from the motherboard, or does it also entail me unplugging the PSU's 24 pin extension that feeds power to the motherboard as well? BC ive been trying to get that out for a while now but it doesnt even budge. My fingers hurt.

If you have a PSU tested I'd say use that to test your PSU. but assuming you dont. Unplug everything connected to the PSU except for the motherboard plugs and see what happens. Also disconnect anything connected to the motherboard as well just in case :) 

Also does your motherboard have internal speakers. If not are you able to get it. System beeps when powered up can help diagnose what the issue might be. 

Guys, I think I give up. I just found a local computer repair shop near me and I think I'm going to have them take a look come next Monday. They'll probably have something more solid than me just plugging and unplugging cables all day.

Thanks for the help, LTT. I'll be sure to update this thread with a solution on Monday.

Guys, I think I give up. I just found a local computer repair shop near me and I think I'm going to have them take a look come next Monday. They'll probably have something more solid than me just plugging and unplugging cables all day.

Thanks for the help, LTT. I'll be sure to update this thread with a solution on Monday.

you have a great occasion of learning how to troubleshoot this kind of issue. don't you want to try (well if you do want to try something at least for the sake of learning and not wasting money you can pm me I'll help you and make sure your troubleshooting goes right)

I had the same problem when my motherboard wasn't getting the required power leading me to believe it's your PSU that got damaged. Makes sure everything is properly plugged in (24-pin and 8-pin). This can also happen when your motherboard doesn't detect any CPU fans so make sure that the fan is spinning and plugged in properly.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

There's a small tab you need to press down on to pull that plug out, don't force it you'll just damage the socket. Don't give up! It's much more satisfying to solve the issue on your own.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Here's the promised update to my dilemma.

Well, I haven't been as lucky as some people here. Users have seen sparks go off when they made the same mistake I had, and their computer functioned just fine. As for me, there weren't any fireworks but my PC wasn't so lucky. 

Symptoms: Whenever I tried turning my PC on, every fan and LED would light up for just a sec, and then shut itself down, then start back up, then shut itself down ad infinitum. Through a quick search on the intertubes, this was either a problem with the motherboard or my power supply.

Determining the problem: This was the easy part. I just tested the power supply to see if it worked, and if it did then the problem would be with the motherboard and vice versa. I performed the standard

courtesy of corsair and discovered that my power supply was supplying wattage normally. Which meant my mommyboard went dead. F*ck me. 

What apparently works: Replugging every cord and extension that relates to the power supply and motherboard, and rebooting the PC. 

What definitely works: Just getting a new motherboard LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I'm typing this from the computer I short circuited; I replaced the motherboard and got it working again. Hopefully this helps others out there who are suffering the same thing I have.

That only works if you didn't damage the board -- which you managed to do. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

• 8 years later...
On 2/8/2015 at 9:48 AM, 79wjd said:

Hey man, I know that this thread is quite old but my CPU doesnt have integrated graphics. how could I know that the GPU is shorted?