Video freezes in fullscreen - audio stream continues and Chrome "Not Responding"

Danny123470
Go to solution Solved by Sicarius,

Hmm, something is screaming GFX drivers to me here; have you tried using an even older version of the drivers? Or better yet using your intergrated GFX quickly? I'd personally try to use your intergrated GFX to rule out your GPU. If this is happening with two different browsers it must be either flash player or your GPU/GFX drivers.

Hi, 
I am using Chrome on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, and I am using an AMD R9 280x with the 14.11.2 Beta drivers from AMD. I am having an issue (across Chrome and Firefox) where my video stream will freeze, but the audio will continue, but when the video finishes, Chrome just white screens and stops responding, and the only way to rectify the problem is by ending Chrome's processes in Task Manager. If I press Escape to get out of the fullscreen video before it finishes and freezes Chrome, the window disappears, the audio keeps playing, and apparently there are no Chrome processes open according to the taskbar. I have already tried the latest 14.12 drivers, but I reverted back to the Beta drivers thinking it might have been a bug in them. I have also tried installing Flash Player and disabling the PepperFlash (Chrome's built in Flash) but that never helped either. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 
Regards, 
Danny

Hmm, something is screaming GFX drivers to me here; have you tried using an even older version of the drivers? Or better yet using your intergrated GFX quickly? I'd personally try to use your intergrated GFX to rule out your GPU. If this is happening with two different browsers it must be either flash player or your GPU/GFX drivers.

Thanks for the reply! I don't actually have any on board graphics with the Motherboard I am currently using. I know that YouTube uses the HTML5 player now for Chrome so that should also rule out Flash Player? I did replace the stock cooler with an NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55, but I'm not currently noticing any artifacting in games and my temperatures never tend to go anything higher than about 60 degrees. I did read about some people having worries about the VRAM temps on their cards using the G10, but my card (MSI Gaming Edition) also has a passive heatsink covering the VRAM, but there is also no temperature reading available for the VRAM on this model, so I have no way of seeing if that could be a potential cause either, but from having no artifacts, I'd say it should be okay.

Well you were 100% right! I uninstalled the 14.12 drivers and moved down to the 14.4 drivers from April 2014, and I've had no issues with YouTube anymore! Thank you very much for your help!

Well you were 100% right! I uninstalled the 14.12 drivers and moved down to the 14.4 drivers from April 2014, and I've had no issues with YouTube anymore! Thank you very much for your help!

No problem, glad it is all fixed :)

No problem, glad it is all fixed :)

I thought it had fixed the problem but it just happened again  :( Now I'm not sure at all what could be causing it, all that's left for me to try is uninstalling Flash Player and just trying Chrome's integrated Flash, but I don't think that could have anything to do with the problem  :blink:

EDIT: I actually forgot that after uninstalling and re-installing Chrome, it must re-enable the built in Flash (PepperFlash) by default, so I have tried disabling it again and I will let you know how that goes..