Issues using cardboard as an I/O cover?

79wjd

Would there be any issues using cardboard to shroud the motherboard's I/O? (and being in close proximity to one of the VRM heatsinks? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I would be worried about the heat.

Don't see a problem other than that though.

I would still just find a replacement IO. Contact the manufacturer for one when you get the chance?

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I would be worried about the heat.

Don't see a problem other than that though.

I would still just find a replacement IO. Contact the manufacturer for one when you get the chance?

I/O shroud, not shield. Heat also wouldn't be an issue with an I/O shield since the I/O doesn't produce any heat whatsoever. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Oh. Lol.

The shield doesn't produce heat but a lot of heat gathers there especially if the case is pressed up against a wall. Kinf of like my case is.

It gets toasty back there during the day.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I agree with this but it would just be better to contact the manufacturer and get a replacement...

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I agree with this but it would just be better to contact the manufacturer and get a replacement...

Shroud =/= shield. 

Nothing like cardboard and duct tape for that ghetto chic.

No duct tape, just cardboard :P

Oh. Lol.

The shield doesn't produce heat but a lot of heat gathers there especially if the case is pressed up against a wall. Kinf of like my case is.

It gets toasty back there during the day.

Well, mine isn't really up against the wall, and the heat that builds up back there wouldn't be that hot anyway (not hot enough to cause issues with cardboard). VRMs on the other hand can get quite hot.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, mine isn't really up against the wall, and the heat that builds up back there wouldn't be that hot anyway (not hot enough to cause issues with cardboard). VRMs on the other hand can get quite hot.  

Please post a pic if you do this. Haha

This will be awesome. I have never mickey moused something like this. Should be awesome.

I say you draw some kind of design on the cardboard to add some style.  :P

Please post a pic if you do this. Haha

This will be awesome. I have never mickey moused something like this. Should be awesome.

I say you draw some kind of design on the cardboard to add some style.  :P

Just need to get some black and blue markers to paint the cardboard....unless I can find something else to do it with. 

I should put the MSI Gaming Dragon on it, but use blue instead of red...that would be really cool actually.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just need to get some black and blue markers to paint the cardboard....unless I can find something else to do it with. 

I should put the MSI Gaming Dragon on it, but use blue instead of red...that would be really cool actually.

This is a really nice idea, I might do this when I get home.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

This. Haha

That actually would be pretty cool. I can't draw for shit, I would just get an image from google, downsize it, and then create a stencil.

This. Haha

That actually would be pretty cool. I can't draw for shit, I would just get an image from google, downsize it, and then create a stencil.

My plan exactly :P

9pYkj5x.jpg

K6lgjlJ.png

Edit: I have no idea how I'm going to trace this dragon onto the cardboard....other than cutting the dragon out, which would just be annoying. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Now time to just paint the cardboard and the dragon. p2dXNLL.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

What would be the best way of painting this? I'm thinking black/blue nail polish, but i'm not sure. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

If the inside of your case ever gets even close to the flashpoint of paper you have other problems to worry about, like your GPU's plastic melting (which happens at half the temp needed to start cardboard on fire).

Cardboard would be just fine even laying directly on your CPU while running benchmarks, you have nothing to worry about.

If the inside of your case ever gets even close to the flashpoint of paper you have other problems to worry about, like your GPU's plastic melting (which happens at half the temp needed to start cardboard on fire).

Cardboard would be just fine even laying directly on your CPU while running benchmarks, you have nothing to worry about.

mmmkay. 

Any ideas for painting the cardboard? I'm thinking Black and blue nail polish would be best / most vibrant...but not sure. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

mmmkay. 

Any ideas for painting the cardboard? I'm thinking Black and blue nail polish would be best / most vibrant...but not sure. 

I made on out of plastic packaging and wrapped it in vinyl which worked well and I would say for the best colors nail polish would have a  great selection or something like modeling paint.