Question About Installing Windows 7 Over Vista

Parkergk

I have a Vista installation that is unfixable. I removed the hard drive and placed it in my main PC as a slave in an attempt to save the files on it, but, it won't show up, not even in Computer Management where I can import it. I can see it in the BIOS, but not once I boot..

Anyway, my question is, if I install windows 7 over the Vista install, will my files be saved in a windows.old folder?

Thanks

Last time I checked Windows 7 WILL format the HDD even if it was formatted before installing so no.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Hmm, it may be worth a shit if you can't do anything else. I remember installing Windows 7 over top of Windowes 7 created an .old folder.

It should do the same for vista unless the drive is dead.

blackshades on

Last time I checked Windows 7 WILL format the HDD even if it was formatted before installing so no.

Hmm, it may be worth a shit if you can't do anything else. I remember installing Windows 7 over top of Windowes 7 created an .old folder.

It should do the same for vista unless the drive is dead.

Does Windows XP create one? Because I'd install whatever I could just to preserve the files.

Does Windows XP create one? Because I'd install whatever I could just to preserve the files.

I don't think Windows XP does, at least I don't remember. 

blackshades on

have you try using the Windows Repair option?

I have used the Win 7 disc before to get my Vista OS working when it have the boot failure and the update loop issue.

worth the shot

or get the Ubuntu live CD to access the HDD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

have you try using the Windows Repair option?

I have used the Win 7 disc before to get my Vista OS working when it have the boot failure and the update loop issue.

worth the shot

or get the Ubuntu live CD to access the HDD

Yeah I had tried everything, thankfully, I was able to copy off the important files using a Linux based ROM OS from Hirams Boot CD.

The drive showed extremely strange issues once I tried formatting it, repairing it, and installing Windows 7, which led me to believe that the drive either had a serious hardware issue, or the file system had been permanently corrupted..

Anyway, the customer and I decided to just save her pictures, etc., and she would just use a different computer she had. Though, I appreciate the help guys.  ;)

By the way, I learned that Windows saving old files depends on what you choose during installation.

-If you don't format, and choose Upgrade, your files are kept in place.

-If you don't format and choose Custom, your files are moved to Windows.old folder.

-If you do reformat, then obviously, your files are gone forever.

I think it does, I once installed windows 7 on an xp laptop for someone. They asked where their files are and I told them in windows.old and I never heard anymore.

Desktop: 16gb Ram, i7-2600k, GTX 560 OC.    Laptop: i7, 8gb DDR3, 840m GPU

Server 1 (Files and AD): i3 3220, 4gb DDR3, 1TB Western Digital Blue, Overkill motherboard I got for free (better than main computer) changed to xeon, don't remember exactly what but xeon version of the processor  and 8gb ECC Ram   Server 2 (games): 8gb Ram, i5, Geforce 710m