Need Advice: Audio-Technica AT2020 XLR to Asus Xonar Essence STX

Hi all, 

I plan on buying an Audio-Technica AT2020 mic in the next week or so, but I've come to a fork in the road. I'm not sure which model to get; the XLR version or the USB version.

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card in my pc that I'd ideally like to use with the mic, and I thought about getting the XLR version and just getting a XLR to 6.5mm jack adaptor or something similar, but not being experienced in this area I wasn't sure if this would introduce audio degradation etc. The thing is the USB version is nearly twice the price of the XLR version so I need to know if its really going to be that bad.

I'm only going to be using the mic for voice overs, online gaming and similar (no singing etc..) 

If anyone could give some advice or feedback on whether its even possible to hook up an XLR to my sound card via an adaptor as per the above mentioned method that would be really helpful. 

thanks

USB version. Do not get an XLR to quarter inch adapter as they are not for this purpose. Your soundcard wouldn't make it sound better than the USB version anyways.

The XLR is cheaper because it doesn't have an ADC built in, as you are expected to plug into an audio interface or similar with dedicated mic pre-amps and phantom power. An XLR to whatever adapter would provide none of this.

Ok, thanks for heads up. 

Out of interest, what sort of similar spec mic would be compatible with my sound card?

Cheers

Ok, thanks for heads up. 

Out of interest, what sort of similar spec mic would be compatible with my sound card?

Cheers

None of them. They are all either usb or XLR if you're looking for something of similar quality. Only lower end stuff would be able to go through that sound card which isn't good anyway so just grab a usb. 

None of them. They are all either usb or XLR if you're looking for something of similar quality. Only lower end stuff would be able to go through that sound card which isn't good anyway so just grab a usb. 

ok thanks for the info!