Torn Between Cherry G80 and Ducky Legend

Weirdybeardyman

I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard to replace my crappy windows media keyboard 1.0.

I really like the look of the Ducky Legend and its anodised aluminium would perfectly match my AOC monitors but...

The Cherry G80(-3000)? is one of the cheapest full keyboards with cherry MX blues in and has a very nice retro look that I want to complete with a full set of WASD

keycaps.

Both these options would cost around the same price; especially if I ended up getting some custom printed keys from WASD aswell.

My possible design for the WASD keyset is to have it with the rainbow colour scheme of the ZX Spectrum and possibly have the

ZX spectrum logo for the Windows Keys or the escape key, possibly have a key with the PC master race logo for my WASD keys or something else

and also possibly have the retro rainbow Apple logo on a key just because it looks cool.

Here is a keycap design example;

post-126955-0-97461700-1423050107.jpg

I have a few questions though;

Which option would you prefer?

Any keycap design input?

Is it possible to get a G80 with a UK ISO layout with MX Blue switches?

Anybody know which G80 is the right one for me as they have confusing names and poor descriptions on Amazon?

Will putting a UK ISO layout Keyset on a US keyboard work or not?

Any other suggestions of a mechanical keyboard to put the keycaps on that is cheap?

Thanks for your help :)

Another Keyset idea with Alternative printed keys on it;

post-126955-0-79475700-1423055482.jpg

I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard to replace my crappy windows media keyboard 1.0.

I really like the look of the Ducky Legend and its anodised aluminium would perfectly match my AOC monitors but...

The Cherry G80(-3000)? is one of the cheapest full keyboards with cherry MX blues in and has a very nice retro look that I want to complete with a full set of WASD

keycaps.

Both these options would cost around the same price; especially if I ended up getting some custom printed keys from WASD aswell.

My possible design for the WASD keyset is to have it with the rainbow colour scheme of the ZX Spectrum and possibly have the

ZX spectrum logo for the Windows Keys or the escape key, possibly have a key with the PC master race logo for my WASD keys or something else

and also possibly have the retro rainbow Apple logo on a key just because it looks cool.

Here is a keycap design example;

I have a few questions though;

Which option would you prefer?

Any keycap design input?

Is it possible to get a G80 with a UK ISO layout with MX Blue switches?

Anybody know which G80 is the right one for me as they have confusing names and poor descriptions on Amazon?

Will putting a UK ISO layout Keyset on a US keyboard work or not?

Any other suggestions of a mechanical keyboard to put the keycaps on that is cheap?

Thanks for your help :)

Another Keyset idea with Alternative printed keys on it;

Honestly both are safe. Whichever one is cheaper of the two will be fine.

Also, the name of the keyboard layout you're looking for is ISO and they're quite hard to find nowadays. Only WASD sells them (88-key) as far as I know.

And no, a UK ISO layout on a US keyboard won't work because of the backslash on a UK layout keyboard near the left (I believe) that isn't there on a US layout keyboard.

The right keyboard for you is the one with the switch you like. That's about all my input on that one.

If you can sacrifice the numpad a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid can usually be found for cheap with blues and the keycaps are easy to replace because it uses a generic tenkeyless layout. But you won't find ISO from them I don't believe.

And I guess the keycap set thing should just be whatever you think looks cool. I would just do all green keycaps if it were mine but I like green a lot and you may not and since this is your keyboard for probably the next 20+ years, it's up to you to design it how you want :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Thanks for the input, Might have to redesign my keycaps to suit the G80 then and not have an ISO layout. I was designing the keycaps on WASD for 105 keys but I guess i'll have to change to a 104 layout. I found out you can download a Config file and get them to print an image over the whole of the Keyboard which sounds awesome :)

Thanks for the input, Might have to redesign my keycaps to suit the G80 then and not have an ISO layout. I was designing the keycaps on WASD for 105 keys but I guess i'll have to change to a 104 layout. I found out you can download a Config file and get them to print an image over the whole of the Keyboard which sounds awesome :)

Glad I could help!

Also, for future reference, people will never get back to you if you don't use the "quote" button because not everybody follows each topic they visit. You're getting a notification because I quoted you. Had you not liked my post I may have never come back :P

See ya around.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||