"Darklight" - Preparing for Watercooling - Corsair 400R

Tohrchur

Hello! This is my new project: Darklight. I've been upgrading my PC for a few months and there are only a few things left I want to do before I finish my first build.

Specs:
Corsair 400R
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
Intel 3570K
8GB Kingston HyperX RAM
MSI 560Ti Sapphire HD 7970
OCZ 750w
Kingston 240GB SSD
WD Black 2TB HDD
NZXT Sentry Fan Controller
Corsair AF120's

Future Upgrades:
GTX 770
Sapphire HD 7970
Full Water Cooling
Case Window Mod

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build:

Added the 7970 today, here's a pic of the current rig.
3DXPL.jpg

7970: 

3DXRI.jpg

Before the 7970:

3q0al.jpg

3q0c4.jpg

3q0cY.jpg

3q0dT.jpg

3qJ4n.jpg

Some minor cables that need sleeved:

3q0fE.jpg

3q0gj.jpg

Hid the tags on the CPU cooler upon request.

3qJ0g.jpg

3qJ2c.jpg

Today I moved the HDD and SSD to the back of the case.
My reasoning behind this was to help airflow from the front of the case because my HDD and SSD don't get hot.
Also, I wanted to see if they could fit back there because they would need to be there if I want to install a 240mm rad in the front of the case, which I want to do.

I moved the HDD and SSD back to the cages, I didn't want to take then chance of them being damaged.
3tyZs.jpg

3tz1L.jpg

If I remove the hard drive cage I could easily out a 240mm radiator in the front of the case. :)

3tz4B.jpg

Finally I removed the NZXT Sentry fan controller and my disk reader because they made it so I had ugly wires stretching throughout my computer.

3tz8k.jpg
** I should be ordering the 770 in a few weeks! **
I ended up getting a Sapphire HD 7970

3DM7k.jpg

3DM8o.jpg

3DM9j.jpg

I know the red and black doesn't fit my color scheme but I will be watercooling it all so it will all fit in :)

Tohrchur

Ayyye dats a nice build doe... I feel like I've seen it with my own eyes before...

That looks really nice and clean, I love black and white builds :).

That looks really nice and clean, I love black and white builds :).

Thank you! Stay tuned for more! :D

Tohrchur

You should tuck whatever that yellow thing is that is sticking out of under the CPU cooler.  Otherwise, nice!

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

You should tuck whatever that yellow thing is that is sticking out of under the CPU cooler.  Otherwise, nice!

its like a tag for the cooler, I can't move it, I want to cut it off but it voids warranty

Tohrchur

its like a tag for the cooler, I can't move it, I want to cut it off but it voids warranty

Speaking of the CPU cooler... how do you like it? I'm using the same one for a build for my friend.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Speaking of the CPU cooler... how do you like it? I'm using the same one for a build for my friend.

It definitely does the job! There is not a sound problem when the side panels are on the case. I'd recommend it!

Also! I just cut off the yellow tag, and hid the one that voids the warranty. Look up top for pictures.

Tohrchur

Nice and clean, good job.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I have the same CPU cooler I hate it! It so loud in my case and then when I over clock barely get anything out of it should of just stook to stock Cooler for a bit then got a water cooler!

Nice and clean, good job.

Thank you! :D Means a lot!!

Tohrchur

I have the same CPU cooler I hate it! It so loud in my case and then when I over clock barely get anything out of it should of just stook to stock Cooler for a bit then got a water cooler!

I love the look of water cooling so I am biased towards that.  The cooling performance of this cooler isn't as good as it should be I agree but for $30 its not bad, I don't hear it specifically in my build, most likely because of my graphics card.

Tohrchur

How did you mount your HDD up there like that? Looks dangerous...

How did you mount your HDD up there like that? Looks dangerous...

A lot of velcro. 

Tohrchur

What kind of cable sleeves are those?

What kind of cable sleeves are those?

It is paracord. Rothco paracord.

Tohrchur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys! So today I modded my case to have a side window.  I didn't take many pictures sorry.  If you're interested I can explain the process. 

Here I cut the first side and it was pretty terrible, filed it a little and it came out to be nice and straight.  

43dP7.jpg

The side panel didn't fit on the case because the acrylic was in the way so I got a dremel and cut down the parts that were keeping it from fitting in the case.

43dSd.jpg

And the final product! Tell me what you think :)

43dVJ.jpg

Tohrchur

Clean cut mod, nice job. Also, if you really want that black and white color scheme you could pant the red stripes white and it would look pretty sexy

Clean cut mod, nice job. Also, if you really want that black and white color scheme you could pant the red stripes white and it would look pretty sexy

I'm going to be watercooling it all eventually so the air cooler will be gone! :D

Tohrchur

I have the same Video Card, looks really nice.

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

If you could somehow paint that red strip on that 7970 white or black then that's going to look so clean. I love it.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

If you could somehow paint that red strip on that 7970 white or black then that's going to look so clean. I love it.

Yeah I know :(.  I plan to watercool soon so that red air cooler will be gone :D

Tohrchur

Yeah I know :(.  I plan to watercool soon so that red air cooler will be gone :D

Glad to hear that!

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS