What's wrong with the LG G3?

Go to solution Solved by Theo,

If you can get the 32/ 3GB ram version. In general theres nothing wrong with it, some people say it overheats but thats the minority.

The only real problem it has is that they have a dumb sharpening effect on the screen which for some people is noticable and for others it isnt, however you can fix that with a custom kernel

So what's wrong with this phone? Why does a phone that has a great camera, a great body and a 1440p display cost only 7.01€ more than a Nexus 5?

The Nexus 5 is 339.99€ and the LG G3 costs 347€. (both with 16GB and here we have another advantage of the G3 as it can be expanded with a microSD card) 

So what's up with that shit? Also I've looked at the price history for the last 2 months the LG G3 has been fluctuating between 308€ and 349.99€. So it's not just a typo. 

I'm currently playing on buying one once the price go back down to around 310€ unless one of you guys can tell me if there is a serious issue with the g3? 

A serious issue? No, but as Linus put it, the screen doesn't look great. 

But just because they're similar in price doesn't mean one is bad.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you can get the 32/ 3GB ram version. In general theres nothing wrong with it, some people say it overheats but thats the minority.

The only real problem it has is that they have a dumb sharpening effect on the screen which for some people is noticable and for others it isnt, however you can fix that with a custom kernel

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

As an owner of a G3, the newer production model has a much better screen look than the Olleh version I saw.

The battery is plenty to get me through 2 days of medium usage and the one time I got it to overheat was in the car, when i left it in there at the beach, something not intended anyway.

It's a great phone, and I absolutely love it.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

A sharping effect? How exactly? As somebody who does not earn any money and has to pay for the phone the  32GB version doesn't really feel worthy of the extra price tag. (Since there is an micro SD card slot) But the 3GB of ram... Not sure if that's worth it. 

As an owner of a G3, the newer production model has a much better screen look than the Olleh version I saw.

The battery is plenty to get me through 2 days of medium usage and the one time I got it to overheat was in the car, when i left it in there at the beach, something not intended anyway.

It's a great phone, and I absolutely love it.

Great :) But how do I tell the Olleh (did you mean to spell older?) version apart fromt the new one? Is there a modelnumber that I can look for? 

Great :) But how do I tell the Olleh (did you mean to spell older?) version apart fromt the new one? Is there a modelnumber that I can look for? 

No, Olleh is the Korean carrier the demo units shipped on. If it doesn't say Olleh on the back, its probably production.

2ffad_g3c.jpg

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

A sharping effect? How exactly? As somebody who does not earn any money and has to pay for the phone the  32GB version doesn't really feel worthy of the extra price tag. (Since there is an micro SD card slot) But the 3GB of ram... Not sure if that's worth it. 

Well they try to make text sharper by making the surrounding pixels white, its pretty noticeable when the backround is dark blue/grey and the letters are black. Its not super annoying but it is there, i got used to it.

How much is the price difference? Any mentions of  slight stuttering that i have seen were on the 2GB model. 

In general it is a great phone, and the design is absolutely beautiful, i dont even have a case/screen protector on mine 

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

No, Olleh is the Korean carrier the demo units shipped on. If it doesn't say Olleh on the back, its probably production.

Ah ok that's cool :)

Does that remove the sharpening effect too or is that part of LG's skin on top of kitkat? 

Does that remove the sharpening effect too or is that part of LG's skin on top of kitkat? 

I have the Verizon version, and I don't notice it unless it's dark. The screen is quite nice to use.

Every version has that effect, LG skins is pretty good, looks a loooooooooot nicer than touchwiz

Every version has that effect, LG skins is pretty good, looks a loooooooooot nicer than touchwiz

What doesn't  :lol:

Well they try to make text sharper by making the surrounding pixels white, its pretty noticeable when the backround is dark blue/grey and the letters are black. Its not super annoying but it is there, i got used to it.

How much is the price difference? Any mentions of  slight stuttering that i have seen were on the 2GB model. 

In general it is a great phone, and the design is absolutely beautiful, i dont even have a case/screen protector on mine 

It's currently a 52€ difference (I want the phone in black and the cheapest 16GB version happens to be the black one and the black 32GB version happens to be the black one.) If I buy the LG G3 at 310€ (and I will as it drops to 310€ quite often.) it would be 99€. 

It's currently a 52€ difference (I want the phone in black and the cheapest 16GB version happens to be the black one and the black 32GB version happens to be the black one.) If I buy the LG G3 at 310€ 

Personally that difference is justifiable. Where are you located?

Personally that difference is justifiable. Where are you located?

I'm located in germany. Why do you ask? Also it posted my other reply before I was done writting it so if you haven't read the full one please do so. 

I'm located in germany. Why do you ask? Also it posted my other reply before I was done writting it so if you haven't read the full one please do so. 

Ah yeah i see, i got mine for 380euro from amazon . de. Well honestly both phones are good, just the 3GB version will have more headroom 

Ah yeah i see, i got mine for 380euro from amazon . de. Well honestly both phones are good, just the 3GB version will have more headroom 

Hmm. If i see the G3 32GB/ 3GB going for 380€ before I see the G3 16GB/ 2GB for 310€ I'll get the 32GB one if not I'll get the 16GB. 

Thanks for the help :)

Also your profile gif is creepy as fuck. 

Hmm. If i see the G3 32GB/ 3GB going for 380€ before I see the G3 16GB/ 2GB for 310€ I'll get the 32GB one if not I'll get the 16GB. 

Thanks for the help :)

Also your profile gif is creepy as fuck. 

Yeah it was a pretty good offer. If you want anything tell me, and yeah i know lol

A serious issue? No, but as Linus put it, the screen doesn't look great. 

But just because they're similar in price doesn't mean one is bad.

I was just assuming that something had to be wrong with it as it's a flagship compared to a ''budget''  phone. 

Battery life and overheating. Of course comparing it to any QHD phone, it's battery life is normal.