i5-4690K wont pass a single test on prime95

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

Stock cooler and stock settings with Prime95 is asking for trouble. This has already been pretty much covered but I'd like to input some more. First saying that 70C with stock cooler under stress test is quite cool. 80C is bit hot but still way under warning limits.

Stock settings with P95 = Overvolting danger and damage to CPU, overheating and autoshutdowns.

Stock cooler on any stress test = Overheating and autoshutdowns.

Hi.

im on stock settings in mobo. only xmp. 

I tried torture test using prime95 to see if my rig is stable with stock cooler.

In the blend test first test it already stop and temp hitting 70°C.

and i dont know what's the problem.

Guys help me pls. TIA

SPECS:

CPU: i5-4690k

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
RAM: G.Skills 2x4GB 1866 F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM 
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 960 g1 gaming
PSU: CX600M
Case: Fractal Design R4 white with window
CPU Cooler: I'm currently on stock cooler. I'm just waiting for my allowance to buy aftermarket cooler. 

Stock cooler is not built for Prime95...

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Have you changed your voltage settings?

p95 shouldn't be used unless your voltage is fixed.

Otherwise p95 is known for causing spikes and unstability.

Try aida64 instead.

When in doubt: C4

Hi.

im on stock settings in mobo. only xmp. 

I tried torture test using prime95 to see if my rig is stable with stock cooler.

In the blend test first test it already stop and temp hitting 70°C.

and i dont know what's the problem.

Guys help me pls. TIA

SPECS:

CPU: i5-4690k

Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
RAM: G.Skills 2x4GB 1866 F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM 
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 120gb
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 960 g1 gaming
PSU: CX600M
Case: Fractal Design R4 white with window
CPU Cooler: I'm currently on stock cooler. I'm just waiting for my allowance to buy aftermarket cooler. 

I made the same mistake with my first build, don't use the stock cooler to stress test your CPU or you will fry it. Wait until you get an aftermarket cooler.

watch this video to understand how voltage works with stress testing at default settings. what to look for. ya its 4790k but the same rules apply for 4690k

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Stock cooler is not built for Prime95...

Oh i see. 

Have you changed your voltage settings?

p95 shouldn't be used unless your voltage is fixed.

Otherwise p95 is known for causing spikes and unstability.

Try aida64 instead.

i tried fix voltage. and it hits 80 °C . I guess i have to buy aftermarket cooler asap.

I made the same mistake with my first build, don't use the stock cooler to stress test your CPU or you will fry it. Wait until you get an aftermarket cooler.

Ok,This is my first build too :D . is it safe to play games like fc4,bf4 with stock cooler?

watch this video to understand how voltage works with stress testing at default settings. what to look for. ya its 4790k but the same rules apply for 4690k

thanks. watching right now.

Ok,This is my first build too :D . is it safe to play games like fc4,bf4 with stock cooler?

I don't see a problem running some games, just don't stop checking your temperatures, play for 5 minutes and check them, play for another 10 and check. You know what I mean.

If you aren't overclocking, then you're fine with the stock cooler. It won't overheat. 

But getting an aftermarket cooler will allow you to run it cooler and overclocked.

When in doubt: C4

''We've got a gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK...piece Of shit board, don't buy it...''

Way to be brutaly honest !

loved the video, thanks man...i'm subscribing to your channel today!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Stock cooler and stock settings with Prime95 is asking for trouble. This has already been pretty much covered but I'd like to input some more. First saying that 70C with stock cooler under stress test is quite cool. 80C is bit hot but still way under warning limits.

Stock settings with P95 = Overvolting danger and damage to CPU, overheating and autoshutdowns.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for your input. Ill remember that.

When you do get aftermarket cooling, make sure to set your voltage to manual/constant/override/static before stress testing.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

There has to be something wrong here and I have to disagree.. No matter what you are doing on any modern CPU you should be able to stress test it and be totally stable even with the stock cooler. I have an fx 6300 and on stock settings with stock cooler I NEVER go over 45 Celsius on prime 95 with ambient 16 degrees

When you do get aftermarket cooling, make sure to set your voltage to manual/constant/override/static before stress testing.

Ok. I see that if you stress test with default settings. voltage goes up when 100% load.

There has to be something wrong here and I have to disagree.. No matter what you are doing on any modern CPU you should be able to stress test it and be totally stable even with the stock cooler. I have an fx 6300 and on stock settings with stock cooler I NEVER go over 45 Celsius on prime 95 with ambient 16 degrees

try watching the Video posted by ProKoN

AMD and Intel chips are bit different when it comes to temp. Haswell specially is really incompatible with P95. Any AMD chip is good with stock settings and P95. Don't know about stock cooling since I've never done stress test with one. Only benchmarks which don't put quite that much load on chip.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv