GPU Waterblock Compatibility?

Vypr
Go to solution Solved by EK Luc,

04G-P4-2981-KR

Cool then! It use a reference PCB so the EK-FC980 GTX is the block you need to buy for your card.

I am wanting to watercool my GTX 980 and I was curious on compatibility, this is the waterblock I am looking at. 

I have the EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 and that waterblock says it works for the reference model only, but I thought the ACX 2.0 had the same PCB as the reference. So would this work or not? Thanks

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3

I am wanting to watercool my GTX 980 and I was curious on compatibility, this is the waterblock I am looking at. 

I have the EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 and that waterblock says it works for the reference model only, but I thought the ACX 2.0 had the same PCB as the reference. So would this work or not? Thanks

You must be very careful in selecting gpu waterblocks, check compatibility in specs of this wb. There can be not much difference, but it can result in fried grfx card.

This is quite annoying problem, which I'm facing a lot: there are a lot fullcover waterblocks for reference cards, and very few for non-reference.

from XSPC : Supports Nvidia GTX 980 (Nvidia reference designs only) - See more at: http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-gtx-980#sthash.EugZishN.dpuf

On Evga's site, they suggest waterblocks for your card. They are Evga waterblocks though. I don't know of any compatibility with others.

Spoiler

from XSPC : Supports Nvidia GTX 980 (Nvidia reference designs only) - See more at: http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-gpu/razor-gtx-980#sthash.EugZishN.dpuf

On Evga's site, they suggest waterblocks for your card. They are Evga waterblocks though. I don't know of any compatibility with others.

Yea, but EVGA's waterblocks are never in stock. 

Yea, but EVGA's waterblocks are never in stock. 

Alphacool also is out of stock with this, that can probably suit u. Try to write them, ask about compatibility and if they can make another one for u. They reply usually in 3-5 days, but there's a chance, that they will do another one wb for u (making such wb's is not complicated).

EDIT: you can still do as I did recently: sell your card and buy a reference one, but yes, u gonna loose a lil' bit.

I went to http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/and it says the ACX 2.0 uses the reference PCB and it gave me waterblock recommendations, how accurate is that? 

Can you tell me the exact model number of your GTX 980?

Can you tell me the exact model number of your GTX 980?

04G-P4-2981-KR

04G-P4-2981-KR

Cool then! It use a reference PCB so the EK-FC980 GTX is the block you need to buy for your card.

That block will work EVGA gtx 980 acx2.0 is a reference pcb the cooler looks different but once it's off it is the same as the nvidia reference card underneath. 

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Yea, I was looking into your website just recently and saw it on the compatibility list. I may end up grabbing one of them. Thanks