Printers

Phillyphries
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

lol at least he bought paper when he got out, for his "broken and needing replacement" printer...

I hate my job

Lol, I hate your job too. :) 

So I was working at Staples today and a customer was ramming me with questions about our printers. He wanted to know which was best, and was comparing printers that were like from $100 to $300. He wanted a laser printer, and I recommended one that was ~$100 that seemed to do all that he needed. Instead (mind you, he was kind of acting like a dick, and his family were looking at me with the most rude looks you could imagine) he asked about a ~$300 printer that seemed to do the exact same thing, but it's rated at 30,000 max monthly volume instead of 15,000 with the Canon printer... I laid out the main differences, and told him the higher price could possibly be because of the Touch LCD screen & GUI and the max monthly volume that comes with the HP printer, but the features elsewhere are exactly the same.

Long story short, he cut me off and asked if there was somebody more knowledgeable about printers... As if I was supposed to be an expert of probably the 40 different printers we carry... So I asked my supervisor if he could help him and he told me, "don't worry about it."

So if any of you guys out there are "printer experts" (honestly, if it works, and the page-per-minute and page-per-toner cartridge ratios are good, does it really fucking matter) I would like some pointers. What else should I explain to the customer? I feel like he wasn't going to buy one anyways.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

-OP-

Printers suck.

/thread.

But on a serious note, if all of the features and specifications are the same(scanner, WiFi, Touchscreen, etc.), then there really isn't much difference between printer A and B(C,D,E,F,G..). The amount of pages per cartridge and quality of image usually isn't properly specified by most budget printer manufactures, so it really boils down to what manufacture you like and which one has the features you need. In your case since you work in retail, if a customer is eyeballing a higher end model and won't budge, just let them buy it, it will make them feel better(until it breaks and its all your fault. Sorry lol, been there done that).

Printers suck.

/thread.

But on a serious note, if all of the features and specifications are the same(scanner, WiFi, Touchscreen, etc.), then there really isn't much difference between printer A and B(C,D,E,F,G..). The amount of pages per cartridge and quality of image usually isn't properly specified by most budget printer manufactures, so it really boils down to what manufacture you like and which one has the features you need. In your case since you work in retail, if a customer is eyeballing a higher end model and won't budge, just let them buy it, it will make them feel better(until it breaks and its all your fault. Sorry lol, been there done that).

But he didn't buy anything. I felt like if he really needed to replace his printer that badly, then he'd damn well get it done, and the best way possible. 

The way he was acting made me feel like he wasn't going to buy one regardless, and he didn't. 

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

But he didn't buy anything. I felt like if he really needed to replace his printer that badly, then he'd damn well get it done, and the best way possible. 

The way he was acting made me feel like he wasn't going to buy one regardless, and he didn't. 

Yep, that's retail for you lol. My best advice is: "Don't give a shit about the customers opinion, just tell them the facts, but whatever you do make them happy. Ensure that they purchase something, even if its not the most ideal or best product. If they are leaning towards a product or feel strongly about it(as in they really like it), let them feel that way and let them buy it(persuade them to do so). The customer is always right, even when they are wrong.". I worked a few years in retail and hated it, but then I just stopped caring. I became much happier and my sales even improved, but I had to recommend really crappy products to people but it made them happy.

I know its a terrible attitude to have, but you just can't let other people bring you down lol.

Yep, that's retail for you lol. My best advice is: "Don't give a shit about the customers opinion, just tell them the facts, but whatever you do make them happy. Ensure that they purchase something, even if its not the most ideal or best product. If they are leaning towards a product or feel strongly about it(as in they really like it), let them feel that way and let them buy it(persuade them to do so). The customer is always right, even when they are wrong.". I worked a few years in retail and hated it, but then I just stopped caring. I became much happier and my sales even improved, but I had to recommend really crappy products to people but it made them happy.

I know its a terrible attitude to have, but you just can't let other people bring you down lol.

lol at least he bought paper when he got out, for his "broken and needing replacement" printer...

I hate my job

Lol, I hate your job too. :)

:lol: I'm going to mark this as the answer just because