Sub $150 Case Help

Anniemoose98
Ok, I am looking at new cases. My current CM Elite 430's Cable Management is a joke, and I do not really like the looks or the bright LED lights on it.  So, it seems to be time to find something better.

I want to find something that is sub $150, and the closer to $100 the better. I want it to be big enough for SLI'd 660s (Non-TI) and a NH-D14. I would like airflow so that I can maintain cool temps in the SLI and OC'd setup. I don't really enjoy all of the lights and things that are on many cases, as the case sits right across from my bed and I can't sleep in bright rooms. If I can either find a case without LEDs or with an off switch,  but I work at a hardware store so I can manage some basic mods... I had seen the 650d, but I am worried about the fact that it is only a Mid Tower. I had also looked at the Define XL, but the interior design seems a bit dated and I have heard of some of their quality control issues.

Thanks for any input!

Anniemoose98

if you want elegant then wait for the corsair 540 or get a 650d.....

I don't honestly know if the 650d would be small, it is just the word "Mid-Tower" that scares me. Would it be able to comfortable hold my setup? Also, with the 600t, how bright would the front LED be? I really don't want to have to keep covering my case with a blanket at night.

Also, if I was going to look at a R4 shouldn't I just look at a Define XL because of the size?

if you want elegant then wait for the corsair 540 or get a 650d.....

Also, with the 540, could it hold the SLI'd 660s while maintaining room for the NH-D14 and keeping good cooling?

Any modern mid-tower is more than capable of holding two graphics cards and a tall CPU heatsink.  You don't need to worry about that. ;)

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Any modern mid-tower is more than capable of holding two graphics cards and a tall CPU heatsink.  You don't need to worry about that. ;)

I feel much better then! My current Elite 430 (A mid-tower) seemed  quite small. I would like a "futureproof" case, as much as possible. (Though I do NOT feel like pushing what I get as far as Linus pushed his TJ-07!). So out of the most elegant cases out of these (unless there are more suggestions), in my mind the R4, Define XL, and the 650D, what do you suggest for good airflow and relative quietness?

Also, with the 540, could it hold the SLI'd 660s while maintaining room for the NH-D14 and keeping good cooling?

yes and the layout is designed for really good airflow....

yes and the layout is designed for really good airflow....

If I ever decided to go with a watercooling solution (Because I want to reuse whatever case I get,) would that have room?

I just noticed the NZXT Switch 810. I like the case design equally to the 650D. What one out of those two is the best?

If I ever decided to go with a watercooling solution (Because I want to reuse whatever case I get,) would that have room?

yes it can hold a 80mm thick 360 mm rad or a normal 360 rad with a 280 in the top and a 120 in the back...

Also, the R4 VS the 650D, in size, features, cooling potential, and futureproof-ness.

Well the r4 is plenty big enoph for what you need and its 80 on ncix right now so its even under the 100 limit you set

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75045&promoid=1316

Cpu:I7-3770|motherboard:msi z77 MPower|Ram:G-Skill Sniper 1866|Graphics:Evga 650ti SSC|Boot drive:128gb Samsung 840|Data drive:2 tb Seagate 7200 Case:Fractal Design R4|Power supply: corsair cs 750m|OS:Windows 7 home Premium|keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013| mouse: Razer Death Adder chroma

The Corsair c70 is a great choice. Has great airflow, lots of cable managment and can almost definetly fit the set-up you are looking for. Its $150 usually but when its on sale its $100.

Well the r4 is plenty big enoph for what you need and its 80 on ncix right now so its even under the 100 limit you set

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=75045&promoid=1316

Ok, what are the differences between the R4 and the Define XL? What one do you guys recommend over the other? I like both, and just want to know which is better out of those two...

Also, for the one that you recommend the most, what is the optimum fan setup for SLI? Also, what fans (preferably on the LOW cost side,) should be used for it? I would like to keep it relatively quiet, but I do want it to be cool, especially with the NH-D14 and the two SLI-d 660s.

Also, what is Fractal's support like in the US given that they are a European company? I want something that I can trust will have a good company behind it.

EDIT: Also, is the Midi as large or as quiet as the R4/XL? If it is, out of these three  what is suggested?

the midi is more or less the R4 with out a door i like the door it makes it a little quieter as for the difference if the R4  and the XL  is one is a full tower case and the R4 is a mid tower case its bigger then most mid tower cases as far as i know and  i know it can handle 2 card and D14 no problem so if you whant it quiet i think the best bet is the R4 unless you happen to  have a xl-atx board if you look at my profile pic that the inside of my R4 and that is a non modular power supply so alot of space

Cpu:I7-3770|motherboard:msi z77 MPower|Ram:G-Skill Sniper 1866|Graphics:Evga 650ti SSC|Boot drive:128gb Samsung 840|Data drive:2 tb Seagate 7200 Case:Fractal Design R4|Power supply: corsair cs 750m|OS:Windows 7 home Premium|keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013| mouse: Razer Death Adder chroma

the midi is more or less the R4 with out a door i like the door it makes it a little quieter as for the difference if the R4  and the XL  is one is a full tower case and the R4 is a mid tower case its bigger then most mid tower cases as far as i know and  i know it can handle 2 card and D14 no problem so if you whant it quiet i think the best bet is the R4 unless you happen to  have a xl-atx board if you look at my profile pic that the inside of my R4 and that is a non modular power supply so alot of space

attachicon.gif955.pngattachicon.gif957.pngattachicon.gif961.pngattachicon.gif965.pngattachicon.gif966.png

My suggestion is Bitfenix      ( Ronin   No Master  .  No Mercy )   :ph34r:    NCIX     $.99.00.

Get a storm trooper or storm Stryker.. U can find them on sale for around $150

I have narrowed it down to the Define XL (So that in the future, if I get a XL-ATX board, I will be good,) the Bitfenix, and the Trooper (I don't like the Stryker's color scheme.) The only thing that worries me about the second and third are the windows. I want to keep things DARK. Do either have non-windowed versions? Out of these, which is the most future proof and has the most metal? I want this to last. Also, which can I keep the darkest? Or can I keep them all about the same?

Thanks for putting up with my insane questions  :P

Anniemoose98

I just found out about the Arc XL (See, I SHOULD have actually watched the Fractal vid from Computex  :lol:!) Should I just wait for that since I want to use the NH-D14 and want good Airflow as well? 

I have narrowed it down to the Define XL (So that in the future, if I get a XL-ATX board, I will be good,) the Bitfenix, and the Trooper (I don't like the Stryker's color scheme.) The only thing that worries me about the second and third are the windows. I want to keep things DARK. Do either have non-windowed versions? Out of these, which is the most future proof and has the most metal? I want this to last. Also, which can I keep the darkest? Or can I keep them all about the same?

Thanks for putting up with my insane questions :P

Anniemoose98

The trooper does not have a Window like the Stryker.. If you want a Window for the trooper you have to order separate..

I really honestly like the Define XL and the soon to be released Arc XL. What would be better for a possible SLI setup and a NH-D14 to get adequate airflow? I really like the Define series but I am worried that it won't cool well with those components... In that case I am left with the Arc XL, but will it be as quiet or as cheap as the Define XL?

are you looking at the xl or xl r2

are you looking at the xl or xl r2

Should have clarified, the XL R2

I think that is a fine choice , good cable management and up gradable on the motherboard size