Looking for a good Router for gaming mostly and little Browsing.

brandynmagers

So i'm looking for a fairly good reliable and long lasting router for Gaming mostly and a little bit of browsing. I have 3 people in my home including myself and the others don't really get on the internet much. But even then i get extreme lag spikes every now and then on random days even if no one is on the internet. So i need a better router. Right now i don't have a router(I think) but a modem if there is even a difference i'm not sure. Its from Time Warner Cable whenever i got it installed. My max budget is $150. Also i am connected wireless. The Modem i have now is in the basement and i'm upstairs if that matters, in a normal suburban house.

Motherboard:: Asus Maxiumus ROG Crosshair VII AM4     Ram:: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)     SSD:: Intel 730 series 240Gb SSD
 GPU:: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB ROG Strix     CPU:: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @3.70GHz   COOLING:: NZXT Kraken x72 AiO, 3x Thermaltake Riing Plus

It's more likely the distance between you and the router/modem, rather than the router/modem itself. Have you tried using a hard wire connection to see if you get the same issues? Powerline might solve the problem, rather than spending a load on a new router. 

It's more likely the distance between you and the router/modem, rather than the router/modem itself. Have you tried using a hard wire connection to see if you get the same issues? Powerline might solve the problem, rather than spending a load on a new router. 

I still get connection issues ive tried

Motherboard:: Asus Maxiumus ROG Crosshair VII AM4     Ram:: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)     SSD:: Intel 730 series 240Gb SSD
 GPU:: ASUS GTX 1080 8GB ROG Strix     CPU:: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x @3.70GHz   COOLING:: NZXT Kraken x72 AiO, 3x Thermaltake Riing Plus

Not sure how well a router is going to help you. That being said, I was running my own modem and router when I was with TWC and never really had any kind of problems, but I also live in a major metro area. Now what TWC gives you might not be all that great either, so a router may certainly help you out.

Netgear is the brand I've typically used. The last router I used was the WNDR3400. If you think you need Gigabit ports, you can go with the WNDR3700. Both have N600 WiFi and are going for under $80 on Amazon right now. There's also the WNDR4300 going for around $100 on various sites. It's an N750 WiFi router, and might be worth your while since you say you've got floors separating you from the router.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Not sure how well a router is going to help you. That being said, I was running my own modem and router when I was with TWC and never really had any kind of problems, but I also live in a major metro area. Now what TWC gives you might not be all that great either, so a router may certainly help you out.

Netgear is the brand I've typically used. The last router I used was the WNDR3400. If you think you need Gigabit ports, you can go with the WNDR3700. Both have N600 WiFi and are going for under $80 on Amazon right now. There's also the WNDR4300 going for around $100 on various sites. It's an N750 WiFi router, and might be worth your while since you say you've got floors separating you from the router.

What about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&cm_re=router-_-33-124-190-_-Product.....or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091&cm_re=router-_-33-320-091-_-Product .... and is it good for gaming

Of those two I would more recommend the latter. But I'd recommend going with an N600 or N750 router, such as what I've already recommended, over an N900 as you're not going to see much gain going with an N900 router.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Of those two I would more recommend the latter. But I'd recommend going with an N600 or N750 router, such as what I've already recommended, over an N900 as you're not going to see much gain going with an N900 router.

Can you send me a link please?

Just do an Amazon or NewEgg search for the model numbers I provided above and you should find them easily.

Does it matter of the retailer it says there is a ASUS one and a Netgear one

I wouldn't count on WIFI for gaming, especially if you play competitive video games. I'd suggest a powerline adapter. I switiched over from WIFI and it was great. Not a single spike since.

I wouldn't count on WIFI for gaming, especially if you play competitive video games. I'd suggest a powerline adapter. I switiched over from WIFI and it was great. Not a single spike since.

What is a power line connector?

It allows you to transfer data over your home power lines. You plug one adapter in a wall socket near your router and the other one near your computer. You connect the first one to your router with an ethernet cable and the second one to your computer with another cable. 

Picture