Should I play the waiting game?

Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

I'm sure many of you are tired of answering this question but I'm a bit out of the loop so I need to ask it.  Tax returns will be coming for me in a week or so and I'm wanting to do an upgrade on my rig.  So what I want to  know is:  Should I get the 4790K and new mobo I've had my eye on?  Or does it make sense to wait for the next round of CPUs/mobos?  The big reason I ask is I have no idea how far along in the cycle we are right now and don't know when to expect the next release.  All tips, advice, and insight are appreciated.  Thanks. 

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

yeah, i don't think that the waiting game is the best of idea for you. 

better off getting that cpu, which is pretty damn good. :)

Also what tedster said.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

yeah, i don't think that the waiting game is the best of idea for you. 

better off getting that cpu, which is pretty damn good. :)

Also what tester said.

It's Tedster. Edward > Teddy > Ted > Tedster/Tedward

Sig under construction.

id wait, the 3570k is good enough to last :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It's Tedster. Edward > Teddy > Ted > Tedster/Tedward

Oops sorry! i was on my phone and it auto corrected :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Absolutely, that diagram has saved me numerous times when I was in your position :D

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Absolutely, that diagram has saved me numerous times when I was in your position :D

So are we waiting for a tock in 2015 ? but early 2015 or late ? its still january

Add about 18 months from the last tick/tock

Add about 18 months from the last tick/tock

Lol, thats now

I guess the waiting game it is, i was just about to upgrade

Intel announced that volume shipments of Skylake CPUs are scheduled for the second half of 2015. Also, Skylake development platform is announced to be available in H1 2015.