Guide on how to dye a fan (repost from another user at Overclock3d)

starships

So Linus mentioned fan dyeing in yesterdays livestream, but that he or Slick didn't know anything about it. Here is a guide I've followed from a user named Firat over at overclock3d.net. Basically what you need is rit dye, and you can only dye to darker colours.

I've tried it on a cheap fan I had laying around as a test, but I plan to use Noctuas for a watercooling build in the near future, so I'll probably be dyeing them black. The only downside is you lose that huge 6 year warranty.

o.O a guide to fix Noctua's uglyness ! <3

• CPU - Intel x79 3820 @ 4.30 Ghz || Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme || RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator 1866 Mhz 4x4 || GPU - EVGA GTX 680 SLI (2x)

• Case - CM HAF-X || Storage - Corsair SSD 120GB/60GB WD 1TB Black || PSU - Corsair HX1050 || Display(s) - 3x@ 24" 1x Auxillary 19" || Cooling - Corsair H100

Keyboard - Mionix Zibal 60 || Mouse - Logitech G602

im really glad someone looked into this because this is a really awsome idea (i just came from the livestream replay lol)

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

SWEEEET, once i got my case all painted up, i may try this :)

yea that ia great diy.

maybe post some pics of your work?

yea that ia great diy. maybe post some pics of your work?
Sorry, when I tested it was a couple of months ago, I sold some old components and threw in the fans for the guy. The thread on Overclock3D has like 10 pages of posts though, and a few people posted pictures of theirs. Scroll near bottom on page 6, one guy dyed them black/red, and took some good pictures.

Maybe someone could tweet this at Linus/Slick, and they could try doing a video guide or something? Would probably get more views, credit goes to Firat of course.

I am saddened that so many people hate the noctua looks. I have said this before but I'll say it again. Having noctua fans in your case is something that SHOULD stand out.

If you have spent over $200 kitting your case out with fans they should be one of the things you are proud of in your case.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I am saddened that so many people hate the noctua looks. I have said this before but I'll say it again. Having noctua fans in your case is something that SHOULD stand out. If you have spent over $200 kitting your case out with fans they should be one of the things you are proud of in your case.

But why that colour scheme, there are plenty of colour schemes that complement what other companies hardware look like. But they somehow invented a colour scheme that is pure ugly and doesn't match anything in the market.

What's the point having a silent / cool machine for $200 dollars in cooling when the real hardware costs $2000 and just doesn't match. Quite happy with the newer companies like Corsair stepping up their game for more options. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Corsair atleast they got the right idea of like black main with a colour accent that is removable/ switchable to a matching colour as necessary.

I am saddened that so many people hate the noctua looks. I have said this before but I'll say it again. Having noctua fans in your case is something that SHOULD stand out. If you have spent over $200 kitting your case out with fans they should be one of the things you are proud of in your case.
Imo, it's not that they're ugly per se, they just don't match anything. If I'm doing a build with a black/blue colour scheme for example, I don't want to have random brown/beige spots from the fans. If I happened to be doing a brown/beige colour scheme though I'd definitely leave the original colour, but no other companies use that colour for anything.