Can't Download Games to Network Drive Origin

pspfreak

First of all I have a symlink setup so that way origin doesn't know i'm installing games to a network share. Regardless of the fact, Origin refuses to start downloading the game. I have verified that I can add and remove files to this folder. 

originsucks.jpg

will be troublesome but just reinstall Origin

if that fails

get back to us

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

will be troublesome but just reinstall Origin

if that fails

get back to us

It was a fresh install but I will give it a try next time im on my pc.

• 1 year later...

I know this was a long time ago but I got this error when I had Origin installed on my computer and then tried to install any games on the network drive. You have to install both Origin and your games on the network drive for this to work.

• 1 year later...

I also had the problem, that Origin dosen't want to download the games on a Network Share. After lots of trying i found the reson why. Origin has a service called "Origin Client Service" which is required to download a Game. This service is executed under the SYSTEM user account, which doesn't know of your Network Share mappings. The easiest way to solve this is to disable the service. Now Origin cannot start the service and runs the Executable as Administrator of your User. To allow the Programs, which run as administrator, to see the Network Share you have to follow these instructions: https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx. You culd also map the Network Share in  the SYSTEM user but this is generally not a good idea, because then the SYSTEM user could be atacked throu that share. Also running the service under your user has the drawback that origin would not work in multi-user environments. My solution has the drawback that Origin prompts you with an UAC for the first download after Origin started. 

Here the detailed steps to realize my solution: 

1. type services.msc in to the Search field and open Services

2. Search for "Origin Client Host" in the list and duble click it

3. set the Startup type to disabled

4. Click OK and close the Services window

5. type regedit in to the search field and open the entry regedit

6. Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

7. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

8. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.

9. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.

10. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

11. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

12. Now Origin should be able to to download to the set installation-path even if it is a network share

• 2 years later...

i have this problem only with the origin client on Windows, its sooo #*¿# annoying. Lutris on Linux works perfect and the origin client downloaded to my NAS from the 1st second on ?

The other problem is, if i start to verify Anthem the client crashes irrecoverable  and i need to fresh install, in Lutris on Linux the client crashes the same way BUT by changing the Proton version for the origin client i can solve the Problem ? and verify as well as start the game but it performs not that good like in win10. I hope that Linux gaming will bring us soon the same support and performance like we know it from windows. There was a BIG improvement over the last year and many Games perform flawlessly. Thumbs up to Proton with Wine and Vulkan. Linux Gaming has far more potential and gives the User way more freedom to log, debug and solve.

cheers, 

Solved thanks to IIIMADDINIII ???

• 7 months later...
On 12/22/2017 at 7:02 AM, IIIMADDINIII said:

I also had the problem, that Origin dosen't want to download the games on a Network Share. After lots of trying i found the reson why. Origin has a service called "Origin Client Service" which is required to download a Game. This service is executed under the SYSTEM user account, which doesn't know of your Network Share mappings. The easiest way to solve this is to disable the service. Now Origin cannot start the service and runs the Executable as Administrator of your User. To allow the Programs, which run as administrator, to see the Network Share you have to follow these instructions: https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx. You culd also map the Network Share in  the SYSTEM user but this is generally not a good idea, because then the SYSTEM user could be atacked throu that share. Also running the service under your user has the drawback that origin would not work in multi-user environments. My solution has the drawback that Origin prompts you with an UAC for the first download after Origin started. 

Here the detailed steps to realize my solution: 

1. type services.msc in to the Search field and open Services

2. Search for "Origin Client Host" in the list and duble click it

3. set the Startup type to disabled

4. Click OK and close the Services window

5. type regedit in to the search field and open the entry regedit

6. Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

7. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

8. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.

9. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.

10. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

11. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

12. Now Origin should be able to to download to the set installation-path even if it is a network share

Thanks, this helped me out a lot.

Much Appreciated

My Rig

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670v2 2.3GHz , GPU: Nvidia GTX Titan (Original 6GB), Memory: 64GB Hynix DDR3 ECC 1333MHz, Motherboard: Asrock X79 Extreme 9, PSU: Antec HCG 900 Watts, Storage: HDD - 1x 4TB WD Black, 1x 4TB Seagate SSHD, 1x 8TB Seagate Archive SSD - 1X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1X Samsung 750 EVO 500GB, Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3, Monitor: Asus VG278H