Hard Drive Sata Cable Exploded/Melted

Didn't quite think this fit into the "troubleshooting" section since the problem's for the most part been solved, and "off-topic" didn't seem right because it is tech-related, but today, one of the boot drives in one of our instant replay systems, er, exploded or something, and I thought other people might find it interesting.

Luckily, the system had a pair of boot drives in RAID 1, so cleaning up the inside of the case and removing the drive allowed us to get the system back together before our show (with a few minor complaints about the array being degraded), but man, something really went wrong.

I only managed to get a picture of the molex->sata power cable, but it is really messed up. 

Other than these pictures, there was a bunch of residue over all the components in the case, but considering that everything still seemed to work properly after removing this power connector and the accompanying drive (which I didn't get to test, but I'm sure must be broken), it looks like we got lucky with the malfunction originating near the hard drive and not near the power supply.

From what I hear, all they did was power cycle the machine, and then this happened. It was working, they turned it off, and it didn't turn back on because this happened. So I suppose the moral of the story is to never power cycle anything ever.

post-124368-0-24062100-1422518526_thumb.

post-124368-0-78469600-1422518527_thumb.

post-124368-0-24062100-1422518526_thumb.

post-124368-0-78469600-1422518527_thumb.

Apparently there have been quite a few incidents where molex to SATA cables have caught on fire.

It was likely a dodgy cable which caused some kind of short that melted the cable.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

O that looks pretty bad. I hope none of your other components were hurt! :o

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Did you try to transfer a digital bear or some shit?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

That had to be a really low quality cable, or it had the insulation damaged.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

wow. You are lucky that it did not caught on fire.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-2400  |  Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3  |  8GB RAM  | Gigabyte R9-270X 4GB | Corsair Graphite 600T white edition | CMStorm Rapid I (blue Switch) | Razer Deathadder

Mobile Devices: Macbook Air 13" | iPad Mini (1st Gen) | iPhone 6 128GB | www.nic-koh.com

Didn't quite think this fit into the "troubleshooting" section since the problem's for the most part been solved, and "off-topic" didn't seem right because it is tech-related, but today, one of the boot drives in one of our instant replay systems, er, exploded or something, and I thought other people might find it interesting.

Luckily, the system had a pair of boot drives in RAID 1, so cleaning up the inside of the case and removing the drive allowed us to get the system back together before our show (with a few minor complaints about the array being degraded), but man, something really went wrong.

I only managed to get a picture of the molex->sata power cable, but it is really messed up. 

Other than these pictures, there was a bunch of residue over all the components in the case, but considering that everything still seemed to work properly after removing this power connector and the accompanying drive (which I didn't get to test, but I'm sure must be broken), it looks like we got lucky with the malfunction originating near the hard drive and not near the power supply.

From what I hear, all they did was power cycle the machine, and then this happened. It was working, they turned it off, and it didn't turn back on because this happened. So I suppose the moral of the story is to never power cycle anything ever.

I would suspect the drive having some shorts between the data and power wiring or possibly the power cable you used had some contacts shorted and when it fried, the data cable did just as well.

Wow man, unlucky. I hope nothing was damaged because of this.

O that looks pretty bad. I hope none of your other components were hurt! :o 

Wow man, unlucky. I hope nothing was damaged because of this.

Luckily it seems that everything else is doing fine, we managed to get the system up and running again within about 20 minutes.

wow. You are lucky that it did not caught on fire.

Definitely, it was mounted in a server rack when it happened, so we're just happy that it didn't, you know, ruin the entire room.

That had to be a really low quality cable, or it had the insulation damaged.

10/10 High Quality Product

I know, right? It's exactly the kind of quality you want to see in multi-thousand dollar machines.

I would suspect the drive having some shorts between the data and power wiring or possibly the power cable you used had some contacts shorted and when it fried, the data cable did just as well.

Yeah, probably. It's just such a fluke thing. It was on and running, we power cycle it, and it doesn't come back on because this happened.