[Win 8.1] Folder Acces Denied as administrator

Go to solution Solved by Robin88,

Hmm, I see, if you're sure it's genuine then that's fair enough, like I say, I've never used BitDefender, and being from the UK I've never had that issue with language options being greyed out.

As for the issue with deleting the folder, it may just be easier to use a Linux Live CD, but let's try Safe mode first, maybe we'll have more luck that way. It's odd though, usually a single user setup has the power to change these settings, but in your case you're being locked out of making permissions changes.

But just to be certain, are you sure the files are not opened in a program? If they are then it may be the reason for you being unable to delete the files.

But anyway, let's leave changing permissions on the folder for now and try Safe mode, it might not work, because it seems you don't have the correct permissions when you should have, however the permissions for that folder are correct and for all intents and purposes you should be able to delete it, but obviously you can't.

To get into safe mode try this.

Type into your search bar "msconfig" and press enter

In the window that opens, click on the "Boot" tab, and look for the option with the words "Boot options"

Check the box titled "Safe Mode" and make sure the radio button titled "Minimal" is checked and click "Apply"

Now click on "OK" and a popup will be displayed asking you if you want to restart, click on the Option titled "Restart" and let the PC restart and it should now boot into safe mode.

From here try deleting the folder, if it doesn't work then you'll have to use a Linux Live CD.

Once you've deleted the folder, type msconfig into your search bar and uncheck the option for "Safe Mode" and click "Apply" then "OK" and then "Restart" to reboot into Windows normally.

When I try to delete a folder from my desktop, I get this message:

Folder Acces Denied:You need permission to perform this actionYou require permission from PC\user to make changes to this folder

I'm the owner and administrator from this computer, so I can't figure out why I get this message.

When I check the security-properties from the folder, It shows that I have full acces to it.

Can you guys help me?

(sorry for my bad english, I'm Dutch)

Intel i7 4790 - GTX970 - GigaByte Z97X-SLI mobo - Corsair 8GB RAM - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Fractal Define R5 - Corsair CX600M PSU

When I try to delete a folder from my desktop, I get this message:

Folder Acces Denied:You need permission to perform this actionYou require permission from PC\user to make changes to this folder

I'm the owner and administrator from this computer, so I can't figure out why I get this message.

When I check the security-properties from the folder, It shows that I have full acces to it.

Can you guys help me?

(sorry for my bad english, I'm Dutch)

Try and open it as an administrator?

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

Try deleting it from the Command Prompt. Press Windows-key+R and enter "cmd" to open the command prompt, then enter "cd Desktop" and "del [Filename]". If it still won't work, try "attrib [Filename]" and post the results.

Do you even custom Bios, bro?

Welcome to the forums. 
Make sure you have set full read/write permissions under the security tab for EVERYONE.
You will have to close all explorer windows, and then navigate to the folder.

Also, may I ask what it is you are trying to delete?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Try and open it as an administrator?

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

i've tried opening as administrator, but it keeps telling me that i have no permission. :unsure:

Intel i7 4790 - GTX970 - GigaByte Z97X-SLI mobo - Corsair 8GB RAM - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Fractal Define R5 - Corsair CX600M PSU

Try deleting it from the Command Prompt. Press Windows-key+R and enter "cmd" to open the command prompt, then enter "cd Desktop" and "del [Filename]". If it still won't work, try "attrib [Filename]" and post the results.

I've tried to delete trough cmd, but it keeps saying that i have no acces. 
btw, it's a folder with installer files for bitdefender free antivirus, but now it's installed, I don't need the folder anymore

This is what i got when i tried the 'del [folder]' command:
C:\Users\Koen>cd Desktop

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop>del RarSFX0

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\additional.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\additional.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\avcheck.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\avcheck.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdardrv.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdardrv.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdmetrics.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdmetrics.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdnc.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdnc.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdnc.ini

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdnc.ini.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\bdnc.ipv4

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\contacts.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\contacts.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\detection.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\gzflt.sys

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\gzflt.sys.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\gzfltum.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\gzfltum.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\htmlayout.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\htmlayout.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\Installer.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\Installer.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\installerpackage.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\installerpackage.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\install_x64.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\install_x64.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\install_x86.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\install_x86.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\no_connection.html

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\no_connection.html.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\npcomm.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\npcomm.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\qs_scan_log.html

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\qs_scan_log.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\qs_scan_log.xsl

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\qs_scan_log.xsl.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\servers.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\servers.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\setuplauncher.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\setuplauncher.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\standalone.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\standalone.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\ThreatScanner.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\ThreatScanner.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\trufos.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\trufos.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\trufos.sys

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\trufos.sys.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\unrar64.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\unrar64.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\update.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\update.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\update_config.xml

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\update_config.xml.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\UserGuide.pdf

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\UserGuide.pdf.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\WPFKickstarter.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\WPFKickstarter.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\WPFKickstarter4.exe

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\WPFKickstarter4.exe.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wslib.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wslib.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wspack.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wspack.dll.md5

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wsutils.dll

Access is denied.

C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0\wsutils.dll.md5

Access is denied.

And how do i use the attrib? should i type "C:\users\user\desktop\[the folder that i can't delete>attrib" ?

Welcome to the forums. 

Make sure you have set full read/write permissions under the security tab for EVERYONE.

You will have to close all explorer windows, and then navigate to the folder.

Also, may I ask what it is you are trying to delete?

All permissions are granted exept the 'special permissions', that one is unchecked, and i can't seem to find out how i get that one checked too.

And the folder i was trying to delete is a folder with installation files for bitdefender free antivirus. Since i already installed it, i don't need the folder anymore.

You need to open cmd as administrator, just opening cmd by itself doesn't grant administrator access.
To do this, type "command" without quotes into the search bar and right click on the one titled "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator"
Now type "rd C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0 /s" without quotes and press enter,
Type "Y" without quotes and press enter again, this should now remove the folder, along with all the files within that folder.

Edit:

Make sure you type all commands correctly, you can easily delete the wrong folder by accident with the CMD prompt, and I and everyone else will not be held responsible for any mistakes made that removes the wrong files or folders ^__^

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

You need to open cmd as administrator, just opening cmd by itself doesn't grant administrator access.

To do this, type "command" without quotes into the search bar and right click on the one titled "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator"

Now type "rd C:\Users\Koen\Desktop\RarSFX0 /s" without quotes and press enter,

Type "Y" without quotes and press enter again, this should now remove the folder, along with all the files within that folder.

Edit:

Make sure you type all commands correctly, you can easily delete the wrong folder by accident with the CMD prompt, and I and everyone else will not be held responsible for any mistakes made that removes the wrong files or folders ^__^

Thanks for your reply,

but unfortunatly, even when i run cmd as administrator, it still shows that i have no acces :(

Thanks for your reply,

but unfortunatly, even when i run cmd as administrator, it still shows that i have no acces :(

Okay. Boot into a live CD of something like linux, and delete it from there. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Thanks for your reply,

That's odd, let's try something else then.

Go to the folder you wish to delete and right click on it, and then choose "Properties"

In the window that opens, click on the "Security" tab

In this tab click on "Advanced" and in the new window click on "Change Permissions"

In the window that opens, uncheck the box with the phrase "Include inheritible permissions from this objects parents" and click "Remove" in the pop-up and then check the box with the phrase "Replace all child object permissions with inheritible permissions from this object" and click "Apply", then in the pop-up that opens click "Yes" and then finally click "Yes" in the second pop-up.

This will remove all permissions from the folder and all the files within the folder, leaving only the owner of the folder with the permission to change anything (this should be you, but just in case we're going to give your username explicit control of the folder and all files within that folder)

Now click on "Add" and in the window that opens, type your username into the box titled "Enter the object name to select" and press the button titled "Check Names" this should change this to your computer name followed by your username i.e "Koen-PC\Koen"

Click on "OK" and in the new window that opens check the box titled "Full Control" and make sure the drop down list for "Apply to" is set to "This folder, subfolders and files" and click "OK"

click "OK" then "OK" again and "OK" one last time to close the properties window, and try to right click delete the folder, and if it doesn't work then, you'll need to use a Linux Live CD to delete the folder.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium

Follow Robin88 steps to change the permission

but i have a feeling the ownership of the file may be the culprit

use CMD command to take ownership of the folder

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Follow Robin88 steps to change the permission

but i have a feeling the ownership of the file may be the culprit

use CMD command to take ownership of the folder

That method I gave should give him exclusive ownership of the folder and files anyway, but if it doesn't work then he may have to try forcing ownership via the command line as you say, or it may be just as easy to just use a Linux Live CD to delete the files that way.

It makes me wonder why BitDefender would lock the user from deleting the install files that he obviously doesn't need any more. (I'm beginning to wonder if this version of BitDefender is even genuine at all)

I'm pretty sure that BitDefender comes as a single setup.exe file, and not in a folder you need to extract, but I could be wrong, having never used it personally. And I have the sneaking suspicion that it's actually fake or a dodgy crack to enable the full version.

But we'll worry about that later, the OP would need to confirm it is indeed genuine before we start looking at potential malware. :(

Edit:

I don't think it is genuine, I just downloaded the installer from BitDefenders website and it gives me a 158KB file called Antivirus_Free_Edition that when run downloads the actual installer as 1 file (10,203KB in size which in my case is called Antivirus_Free_Edition_x64) in the same directory as the 158KB file, whatever version of BitDefender the OP has, it can't be genuine.

That method I gave should give him exclusive ownership of the folder and files anyway, but if it doesn't work then he may have to try forcing ownership via the command line as you say, or it may be just as easy to just use a Linux Live CD to delete the files that way.

It makes me wonder why BitDefender would lock the user from deleting the install files that he obviously doesn't need any more. (I'm beginning to wonder if this version of BitDefender is even genuine at all)

I'm pretty sure that BitDefender comes as a single setup.exe file, and not in a folder you need to extract, but I could be wrong, having never used it personally. And I have the sneaking suspicion that it's actually fake or a dodgy crack to enable the full version.

But we'll worry about that later, the OP would need to confirm it is indeed genuine before we start looking at potential malware. :(

Edit:

I don't think it is genuine, I just downloaded the installer from BitDefenders website and it gives me a 158KB file called Antivirus_Free_Edition that when run downloads the actual installer as 1 file (10,203KB in size which in my case is called Antivirus_Free_Edition_x64) in the same directory as the 158KB file, whatever version of BitDefender the OP has, it can't be genuine.

thanks for your reply,

when i get to the point to disable inheritance, i can't click on it (http://gyazo.com/cc54d3a273d17e728e75239ab9c02dfa).

But i'm sure it's a genuine version of Bitdefender, I also used the installer in the first place, but the installer only showed the Romanian language option, so with this guide: (http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=48775) i installed the english version of bitdefender.

Hmm, I see, if you're sure it's genuine then that's fair enough, like I say, I've never used BitDefender, and being from the UK I've never had that issue with language options being greyed out.

As for the issue with deleting the folder, it may just be easier to use a Linux Live CD, but let's try Safe mode first, maybe we'll have more luck that way. It's odd though, usually a single user setup has the power to change these settings, but in your case you're being locked out of making permissions changes.

But just to be certain, are you sure the files are not opened in a program? If they are then it may be the reason for you being unable to delete the files.

But anyway, let's leave changing permissions on the folder for now and try Safe mode, it might not work, because it seems you don't have the correct permissions when you should have, however the permissions for that folder are correct and for all intents and purposes you should be able to delete it, but obviously you can't.

In the window that opens, click on the "Boot" tab, and look for the option with the words "Boot options"

Check the box titled "Safe Mode" and make sure the radio button titled "Minimal" is checked and click "Apply"

Now click on "OK" and a popup will be displayed asking you if you want to restart, click on the Option titled "Restart" and let the PC restart and it should now boot into safe mode.

From here try deleting the folder, if it doesn't work then you'll have to use a Linux Live CD.

Once you've deleted the folder, type msconfig into your search bar and uncheck the option for "Safe Mode" and click "Apply" then "OK" and then "Restart" to reboot into Windows normally.

It worked! :D

In safe mode, i could just delete the folder, and now i finally got rid of it! Thanks a lot for your help :)

I'm glad I tried these forums for help ;)  Great community as Linus told so often in his video's :)

That's great news, I'm glad we were able to fix the issue :)
Could you mark the thread as solved and choose the correct answer please, so that anyone with the same issue can use it in future, cheers :) nvm, you've already done that ^__^

It is a great community here, there's obviously some bad eggs here, but I don't think there's anywhere that doesn't have them, and for the most part everyone here is really nice :)