GTX 970 vs a 290x?

meritmaster

Which card is better, and would you prefer? Also please explain why! 

• CPU
    I5-3570k
  • Motherboard
    MSI GD-80 z77a
  • RAM
    16GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600 Mhz
  • GPU
    1x Gigabyte GTX 970 (non G1)
  • Case
    Cooler Master Haf 922
  • Storage
    256gb Sandisk SSD | 160gb WD Blue 7k 16mb Cache
  • PSU
    Antec 750 watt (80+ bronze)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 720p 42' TV|LG Flatron e2250|Nivdia shield
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master LED 200mm fans 2x|Cooler Master 120mm fan| Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Cooler Master CM Storm ($30) red
  • Mouse
    Razor Naga Blue & Cooler master CM Storm mouse
  • Sound
    Siberan v2 Headset & B&W fronts, infinities in the back, and energy 10' sub woofer
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 & Android

I am going to be buying this version of the 290x (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696)
  • to replace this trash  GTX 970 i bought, but is it worth the upgrade? Would a single 290x out power two 970's in SLI?

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

How about SLI Gigabyte = almost 2x single 290x?

https://papahardware.com.br/#!/compare/AMD-R9-290X-XFX/NVIDIA-GTX-970-Windforce-2-WAY-SLI-Gigabyte

Get the 970. It has a lower impact on your power bill, as well as running cooler and more quiet. Since you already have one, getting the 2nd will be awesome.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

• CPU
    I5-3570k
  • Motherboard
    MSI GD-80 z77a
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Cooler Master Haf 922
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master LED 200mm fans 2x|Cooler Master 120mm fan| Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Siberan v2 Headset & B&W fronts, infinities in the back, and energy 10' sub woofer
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 & Android

I am going to be buying this version of the 290x (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150696)

• to replace this trash  GTX 970 i bought, but is it worth the upgrade? Would a single 290x out power two 970's in SLI?

If you tell me this is because of the news from NVIDIA, I am going to be pissed. Keep your money, and your 970.

Firstly, that 970 ISN'T trash don;t join the fanboys please. It is still a decent card and you won;t push it to the limit gaming on that monitor at that resolution. And for your questions about 290X beating an SLI I would say only in certain situations  like when it's launch day with no good/real driver solution for SLI /optimised for the game.

So my advice. Keep that 970, it's not a bad option for you now.

How about SLI Gigabyte = almost 2x single 290x?

https://papahardware.com.br/#!/compare/AMD-R9-290X-XFX/NVIDIA-GTX-970-Windforce-2-WAY-SLI-Gigabyte

Get the 970. It has a lower impact on your power bill, as well as running cooler and more quiet. Since you already have one, getting the 2nd will be awesome.

sorry man the power bill one I'm pretty much sure iit's been proven to be while true  it's savings in pennies (insignificant)

If you already own a 970, sidegrading to a 290x would be stupid unless you can get a full refund for the 970. A 290x would be marginally faster than ONE 970, much slower than 2 970s in sli.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If you tell me this is because of the news from NVIDIA, I am going to be pissed. Keep your money, and your 970.

It's not because the news, i posted about the problems before they were known, or hit main stream news. I'm tired of my frames hitching, which has happen with both recent Nvidia cards that i have owned (970 & 660 ti PE)

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

• CPU
    I5-3570k
  • Motherboard
    MSI GD-80 z77a
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Cooler Master Haf 922
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 & Android

A single 290x will not be better than two 970's in sli. Also the 970 is not trash. Here is a review http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/8

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I want to play 2k, or 3k resolution in gaming, and not be stuck with a shit 1080p experience i get from the GTX 970. Ins't the 3.5 gb of vram going to handicap me, as it has already done...

~Abraham Lincoln

It's not because the news, i posted about the problems before they were known, or hit main stream news. I'm tired of my frames hitching, which has happen with both recent Nvidia cards that i have owned (970 & 660 ti PE)

if it was just the GPU you switched and the hitching continues, It might be your system than gpu (just saying) Computers can be a fickle thing :/

A single 290x will not be better than two 970's in sli. Also the 970 is not trash. Here is a review http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/8

35-55 fps@1080p on Shadow of Mordor is trash.

~Abraham Lincoln

I want to play 2k, or 3k resolution in gaming, and not be stuck with a shit 1080p experience i get from the GTX 970. Ins't the 3.5 gb of vram going to handicap me, as it has already done...

the 970 supposedly does well in 2k, as for 4k :/ well erm you probably have decent perf as long as vram usage is low ?

sorry man the power bill one I'm pretty much sure iit's been proven to be while true  it's savings in pennies (insignificant)

Oh yeah? Where I live, and with the things I do, a 290x would cost 28,7$ a month to sustain. A gtx 970 would cost 14,3$.

I'm sure that's totally "insignificant".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Oh yeah? Where I live, and with the things I do, a 290x would cost 28,7$ a month to sustain. A gtx 970 would cost 14,3$.

I'm sure that's totally "insignificant".

...Are you quoting me based on when your GPU IS loaded? cause thats way to high and lets be honest if you can afford the 970/290X and that amount of money is significant......well...priorities? :/ 

...Are you quoting me based on when your GPU IS loaded? cause thats way to high and lets be honest if you can afford the 970/290X and that amount of money is significant......well...priorities? :/ 

Ofc that is on load. I leave my pc 24/7 on, for FAH / Boinc purposes.

As I said, that's based on what I do with the card. And yes, that much money is pretty significant. Over 2 years, you'll have saved 345,6$ = enough to upgrade to the "new gtx 970" that's going to be out by that time.

if it was just the GPU you switched and the hitching continues, It might be your system than gpu (just saying) Computers can be a fickle thing :/

No, both cards suffered from a lack of vram. The 660 utilized only 1.5gb of the advertised 2gb gdrr5, and it caused massive frame hitching. I have had different video cards in the system, and i have replaced numerous parts, it's not my system causing the problem. I can see what's happening in MSI after burner, so i know my game starts to choke when i hit 3.5 GB of memory..

~Abraham Lincoln

If you already own a 970, sidegrading to a 290x would be stupid unless you can get a full refund for the 970. A 290x would be marginally faster than ONE 970, much slower than 2 970s in sli.

The GTX 970 actually beats the 290X most of the time, so it'd be a downgrade depending on which games you play and, sometimes, on what resolution. 

One of the major times the 290X wins, if it does, is in BF4 @ 4K. For example, in BF4, the 290X is the better option by a small percentage. However, 1440p or lower belongs to the 970. Company of Heroes 2 belongs to the 290X on all resolutions, possibly due to the developer better optimizing for AMD GPUs, but I will not talk with certainty on that.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

No, both cards suffered from a lack of vram. The 660 utilized only 1.5gb of the advertised 2gb gdrr5, and it caused massive frame hitching. I have had different video cards in the system, and i have replaced numerous parts, it's not my system causing the problem. I can see what's happening in MSI after burner, so i know my game starts to choke when i hit 3.5 GB of memory..

Just a quick question, is your card memory clock boosting to the correct 3506 mhz (in afterburner)? Mine wasn't, I had to tweak a few things. But once I did, I noticed my playing experience got a lot better.

Ofc that is on load. I leave my pc 24/7 on, for FAH / Boinc purposes.

As I said, that's based on what I do with the card. And yes, that much money is pretty significant. Over 2 years, you'll have saved 345,6$ = enough to upgrade to the "new gtx 970" that's going to be out by that time.

:/ well just saying not everyone FAH? on load 24/7 IS a rare/fringe case?

Just a quick question, is your card memory clock boosting to the correct 3506 mhz (in afterburner)? Mine wasn't, I had to tweak a few things. But once I did, I noticed my playing experience got a lot better.

I heard tweaking anything can void my warranty?

~Abraham Lincoln

Must be your card. Can you post a link of your benchmark? http://www.hardwarepal.com/shadow-mordor-benchmark/ Their benchmark shows 91.883 at 1080p for shadow of mordor.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

1080p 

"in a nvidia GAME" 

with a 970.... 

yea... sorry man

but, i agree with you

they did something very wrong to you

with that card

1080p 

"in a nvidia GAME" 

with a 970.... 

yea... sorry man

but, i agree with you

they did something very wrong to you

with that card

There is nothing wrong with the card, but instead the design of the card, and the type of memory used.... this so called "hynix" memory is the probably the culprit, as they are in all the models of 970's that are going haywire. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684&cm_re=gigabyte_970-_-14-125-684-_-Product has the hynix chips, while the g1 version of the 970 doesn't, and thus performs much better. 

~Abraham Lincoln

Upgrade you display before anything. 720P bwa LOL

I hear this all the time, try reading everything, as it clearly says i have a LG monitor, which is my 1080p display. 

I know you felt obligated to say something, but don't open your mouth if you're too ignorant to comment. 

~Abraham Lincoln