Issues Getting SSD To Run In AHCI

Parkergk

Hey guys, so, I recently had to reformat and re-install windows after my computer got stuck in infinite boot loop due to a corrupt registry and my regback folder being empty for some reason. Anyhow, I forgot to use AHCI when I got and installed my SSD, so I took this as an opportunity to do so.

Before I did anything, I switched my 1-4 SATA ports (where my SSD is connected) to AHCI and set the 5-6 ports (where my DVD drive is connected) to IDE because my DVD drive does not get recognized in AHCI mode. Then I formatted and installed windows, booted up, installed chipset drivers etc., but even after all this I go to check the drive in my BIOS, and it still says "IDE:" before the name in the storage manager..

So, I did some research and apparently you can fix it by editing the msahci and pcide start values in the registry. You're supposed to set both values to 0 and then reboot, but when I check them, they were already at 0.. I did it anyhow and rebooted just in case, but nothing changed. Even downloaded Microsoft's automated Fixit tool but that didn't do anything either..

Then it was suggested to try updating the BIOS, which I did and even reset, but still nothing has changed, it still shows IDE: before the drive name.

If anyone can help out with this I'd be incredibly grateful..  :rolleyes:

Bump. Still hoping someone can help...  :unsure:

Hey guys, so, I recently had to reformat and re-install windows after my computer got stuck in infinite boot loop due to a corrupt registry and my regback folder being empty for some reason. Anyhow, I forgot to use AHCI when I got and installed my SSD, so I took this as an opportunity to do so.

Before I did anything, I switched my 1-4 SATA ports (where my SSD is connected) to AHCI and set the 5-6 ports (where my DVD drive is connected) to IDE because my DVD drive does not get recognized in AHCI mode. Then I formatted and installed windows, booted up, installed chipset drivers etc., but even after all this I go to check the drive in my BIOS, and it still says "IDE:" before the name in the storage manager..

So, I did some research and apparently you can fix it by editing the msahci and pcide start values in the registry. You're supposed to set both values to 0 and then reboot, but when I check them, they were already at 0.. I did it anyhow and rebooted just in case, but nothing changed. Even downloaded Microsoft's automated Fixit tool but that didn't do anything either..

Then it was suggested to try updating the BIOS, which I did and even reset, but still nothing has changed, it still shows IDE: before the drive name.

If anyone can help out with this I'd be incredibly grateful..  :rolleyes:

Hey Parkergk,

Have you tried running that SSD on a different computer to see if the problem persists? Have you tried to attach a HDD to that port to see if it can be seen differently? Did you try other SATA ports? 

I would redo the registry procedures, erase the 0s and write them again, save everything, restart, go to BIOS and switch to AHCI mode there and then reboot again to see if this has any effect. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Parkergk,

Have you tried running that SSD on a different computer to see if the problem persists? Have you tried to attach a HDD to that port to see if it can be seen differently? Did you try other SATA ports? 

I would redo the registry procedures, erase the 0s and write them again, save everything, restart, go to BIOS and switch to AHCI mode there and then reboot again to see if this has any effect. 

Captain_WD.

Yeah.. just tried swapping ports, even disconnected the CD/DVD drive and switched all the port to AHCI with no results.

Based on something I read about a guy saying registry entries are different per motherboard/manufacturer etc., I made a backup of my registry, then searched out all the values pertaining to IDE and AHCI and set them to 0 as well, a lot were set to 3, including one called amdIDE, I was sure that would fix it, but nope....

People say that windows is supposed to run a program during startup to fix/assign the registry values back once you've made the changes you were suposed to, setting them all to 0, but I've never once seen anything do that, they just stay at 0..

Yeah.. just tried swapping ports, even disconnected the CD/DVD drive and switched all the port to AHCI with no results.

Based on something I read about a guy saying registry entries are different per motherboard/manufacturer etc., I made a backup of my registry, then searched out all the values pertaining to IDE and AHCI and set them to 0 as well, a lot were set to 3, including one called amdIDE, I was sure that would fix it, but nope....

People say that windows is supposed to run a program during startup to fix/assign the registry values back once you've made the changes you were suposed to, setting them all to 0, but I've never once seen anything do that, they just stay at 0..

That is strange. Maybe you should try posting a thread in Microsoft's community to get an official to look into your case. Do try the SSD on another computer to see if it can run in AHCI mode there.

If you get an answer somewhere, please post it back here so other people can see the solution as well. :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Your right it is supposed to auto detect it, do me a favor and download and run "AS SSD" it's an SSD bench marking utility, just open it up and post the screenshot here, no need to actually run the benchmark if you don't want to.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Your right it is supposed to auto detect it, do me a favor and download and run "AS SSD" it's an SSD bench marking utility, just open it up and post the screenshot here, no need to actually run the benchmark if you don't want to.

That's was no issue, at all, I already had it downloaded.  :D

Here's the screen: http://imgur.com/CaiuU1v

Despite what device manager says, you do appear to be using AHCI, otherwise you get a red message in place of your green message in the top left. What model of SSD is it?

Edit: Duh, its in the screenshot. Hang on a sec.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Write speed does seem to be a little low however, hmm. Any chance you could do a clean install and don't change the registry settings this time? Which Motherboard do you have?

Despite what device manager says, you do appear to be using AHCI, otherwise you get a red message in place of your green message in the top left. What model of SSD is it?

Edit: Duh, its in the screenshot. Hang on a sec.

Oh really?

Though, when I check under device manager, the Service values in the controllers, they are ide...

"Device type: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

Write speed does seem to be a little low however, hmm. Any chance you could do a clean install and don't change the registry settings this time? Which Motherboard do you have?

Well, I never actually changed any registry values until very late into my fresh install..

It's an ASUS M4A87TD EVO.

Oh really?

Well, I never actually changed any registry values until very late into my fresh install..

It's an ASUS M4A87TD EVO.

Did you use the "AHCI drivers" on the Asus website? You said you did the chipset but can't see a mention of the AHCI ones. Although perhaps it is done through catalyst.

Actually I'm undecided, I don't think the write speed is too low. Can you run crystal disk benchmark and post results? Also fully complete the AS SSD one.

Did you use the "AHCI drivers" on the Asus website? You said you did the chipset but can't see a mention of the AHCI ones. Although perhaps it is done through catalyst.

Well I did find this under utitlites on the ASUS website for my motherboard, which I downloaded:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TD_EVO/HelpDesk_Download/

Description AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP.

AMD AHCI Driver V1.2.0.164 for Windows 32/64bit Vista.

AMD AHCI Driver V1.2.0.164 for Windows 32/64bit 7.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit Vista.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit 7. File Size 12.29 MBytesupdate

Though, the contents of it are extremely confusing and comes with 0 instructions, I could not find where or how to actually install the windows 7 drivers within that pack, only the XP drivers..

Actually I'm undecided, I don't think the write speed is too low. Can you run crystal disk benchmark and post results? Also fully complete the AS SSD one.

Alright, will do.

Well I did find this under utitlites on the ASUS website for my motherboard, which I downloaded:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A87TD_EVO/HelpDesk_Download/

Description AMD AHCI Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP.

AMD AHCI Driver V1.2.0.164 for Windows 32/64bit Vista.

AMD AHCI Driver V1.2.0.164 for Windows 32/64bit 7.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit XP.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit Vista.

AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.35 for Windows 32/64bit 7. File Size 12.29 MBytesupdate

Though, the contents of it are extremely confusing and comes with 0 instructions, I could not find where or how to actually install the windows 7 drivers within that pack, only the XP drivers..

Alright, will do.

Yeah had the same issues on one of my other machines that is a similar sort of spec to yours. Have you looked in the optional updates in Windows updates?

Here we go: http://imgur.com/hqgIyab

Yeah had the same issues on one of my other machines that is a similar sort of spec to yours. Have you looked in the optional updates in Windows updates?

Ahhh, and I did actually, I believe I got an AMD SATA driver from there.

Here we go: http://imgur.com/hqgIyab

Ahhh, and I did actually, I believe I got an AMD SATA driver from there.

Some of the write speeds look a little bit low, some look higher than average. It's probably about right to be honest!

Some of the write speeds look a little bit low, some look higher than average. It's probably about right to be honest!

Yeah probably so for this drive.. I'm planning to upgrade to a Samsung 840 500GB soon.  ;)

I really appreciate all the effort you put into helping me!

Yeah probably so for this drive.. I'm planning to upgrade to a Samsung 840 500GB soon.  ;)

I really appreciate all the effort you put into helping me!

No problems, are you OK with that?

No problems, are you OK with that?

Yeah, I've also sent an email to ASUS, so wil be interesting to see what they say. Thank you mate!  :D

Yeah, I've also sent an email to ASUS, so wil be interesting to see what they say. Thank you mate!  :D

Anytime!