My friend has issue!

skljom
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

so he just told me that he threw away 4 rubber pieces taht goes on the back of the GPU on the screws... I think that is the issue.. Can he find them somewhere?

Yeah that will most likely be what affects the mounting pressure, he could probably find some small soft rubber washers from the hardware store 

He changed his gpu thermal paste and now the GPU is overheating a lot, when he turns the pc on the gpu temps are 105 Celsius. Here are pictures before new paste and after. After seeing pictures I told him to pull less thermal paste and so he did, he put a very very little termal paste but results are still the same... He says that he attached cooler firmly and it doesn't move when he shakes it. Any suggestions?

GPU is VTX Radeon 6950, 2GB GDDR5.

edit: here are pictures, sorry guys: http://imgur.com/UOTHPCT,EwoD7OR,4sEFLx9,hrVTWLp,uxix2se#4

EDIT2: sorry guys my friend forgot to tell me that he threw away the rubber on the screws that goes on the back of GPU.

Hoe Hoe Hoe and a bottle of RAM © Gankplank

First.. did he remember to plug the fan back into the header?

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Pics?

He changed his gpu thermal paste and now the GPU is overheating a lot, when he turns the pc on the gpu temps are 105 Celsius. Here are pictures before new paste and after. After seeing pictures I told him to pull less thermal paste and so he did, he put a very very little termal paste but results are still the same... He says that he attached cooler firmly and it doesn't move when he shakes it. Any suggestions?

GPU is VTX Radeon 6950, 2GB GDDR5.

Did he attach the rear tension portion that pulls the block onto the die to ensure proper pressure or any other washers, other than that as Prastupook said make sure the fan is on and functioning properly.

-Good Lord that dust build up! :o

Edited by W-L

http://imgur.com/UOTHPCT,EwoD7OR,4sEFLx9,hrVTWLp,uxix2se#4

He said he did and that they are spinning on 100% all the time

I should first ask... why did he change his paste to begin with?

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I should first ask... why did he change his paste to begin with?

it was overheating without doing anything, like 60 degrees without anything turned on

HOLY FUCK BATMAN

Did he clean that dust out???

yes he did haha

Did he attach the rear tension portion that pulls the block onto the die to ensure proper pressure or any other washers, other than that as Prastupook said make sure the fan is on and functioning properly.

-Good Lord that dust build up! :o

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10956180_1030553243628750_1158612714_n.jpg?oh=ecf053dc92d7d794386defca37fe1488&oe=54CAA32F&__gda__=1422553371_8be988e6e50436b50bd1f2ee17c62134here is the back of the card, sorry for facebook links....

yes he did haha

Did he use the dot/small line method? Did he spread it himself? Did they keep the thermal pads on the heatsink for all of the VRAM?

1. Have him disassemble and repeat, making sure to apply a single strip on the gpu.

2. MAKE SURE he put the thermal pads back on.

(also make sure nothing broke / cracked)

3. MAKE SURE the fan is plugged correctly into the header.

4. Reassemble the cooler to the PCB and do it slowly, corner across.

5. Make sure the device manager is actually detecting the GPU, as are drivers.

I believe he used too much thermal paste. Did he watch the Linus's video about GPU thermal paste removal? 

And by the way, these cards are very hot even at idle. My GT9800 is always at 60C. 

Did he use the dot/small line method? Did he spread it himself? Did they keep the thermal pads on the heatsink for all of the VRAM?

He said that the card doesn't have thermal pads, on the first time he put the paste in the middle like a rice grain, it spread out as he put cooler back on the card. Second time he put even less so that he tries "less is better" method but the results are still the same.

I believe he used too much thermal paste. Did he watch the Linus's video about GPU thermal paste removal? 

And by the way, these cards are very hot even at idle. My GT9800 is always at 60C. 

these cards? He is using HD 6950 not nVidia GT9800 but I think you are reffering to die size. But just look how dusty it was man... he needed to clean that out and also to change thermal paste while he is doing that...

1. Have him disassemble and repeat, making sure to apply a single strip on the gpu.

2. MAKE SURE he put the thermal pads back on.

(also make sure nothing broke / cracked)

3. MAKE SURE the fan is plugged correctly into the header.

4. Reassemble the cooler to the PCB and do it slowly, corner across.

5. Make sure the device manager is actually detecting the GPU, as are drivers.

look at the last picture and the board of the GPU, he doesn't have thermal pads. The gpu is without them

Don't think that's the issue since the excess paste would come off the sides of the chip even if he used a tad too much.

He said that the card doesn't have thermal pads, on the first time he put the paste in the middle like a rice grain, it spread out as he put cooler back on the card. Second time he put even less so that he tries "less is better" method but the results are still the same.

Only things I can think of is the fans aren't spinning, the cooler isn't properly seated, or both.

NP, and there isn't a back tension plate on this card from looking around but there should be some springs that should be put onto the screw in this case, did he forget to put those back in place?

Other than that it's most likely a fan or seating issues as others have said, not too much more I can think of.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/powercolor-hd6950-pcs-2gb-review-dual-action/2/

Don't think that's the issue since the excess paste would come off the sides of the chip even if he used a tad too much.

Only things I can think of is the fans aren't spinning, the cooler isn't properly seated, or both.

yeah I think the same, maybe the heatsink didn't set properly on the GPU. THere is like no freaking way that it is overheating like that if it is posted corectly

NP, and there isn't a back tension plate on this card from looking around but there should be some springs that should be put onto the screw in this case, did he forget to put those back in place?

Other than that it's most likely a fan or seating issues as others have said, not too much more I can think of.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/powercolor-hd6950-pcs-2gb-review-dual-action/2/

yeah, he said that there are spings on the screws. He put some paper on the gpu processor, than he put the heatsink back and screwed it, he says that the paper is not moving and there is no gap or distance between processor and cooler.

btw he is using Cooler Master thermal paste, he applied it on the cpu and he lowered his temperatures a lot. I don't think that it is thermal paste issue :/

btw he is using Cooler Master thermal paste, he applied it on the cpu and he lowered his temperatures a lot. I don't think that it is thermal paste issue :/

yeah, he said that there are spings on the screws. He put some paper on the gpu processor, than he put the heatsink back and screwed it, he says that the paper is not moving and there is no gap or distance between processor and cooler.

Would he happen to know if it's a silver based thermal paste since I do know arctic silver's thermal paste is effective but reaches optimum heat transfer after 200 hours of operation but the difference at most is around 5-10C.

As for the paper did he put it between the cooler side and the PCB to screw down to or on the back side of the GPU, if he put it on the cooler side that can add extra thickness.

Would he happen to know if it's a silver based thermal paste since I do know arctic silver's thermal paste is effective but reaches optimum heat transfer after 200 hours of operation but the difference at most is around 5-10C.

As for the paper did he put it between the cooler side and the PCB to screw down to or on the back side of the GPU, if he put it on the cooler side that can add extra thickness.

he put the paper on the processor and then he put radiator over it and screwed it (little bit of paper just to test does the radiator make good contact with processor). He said after he screwed radiator that he could not take the paper out. Here is the picture without paper https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10955993_1030568350293906_575488593_n.jpg?oh=2348085ae26c27153a0277ec5c48d0a4&oe=54CA8C50&__gda__=1422540608_3f905f5983a003476d20fb2766bf323d

he put the paper on the processor and then he put radiator over it and screwed it (little bit of paper just to test does the radiator make good contact with processor). He said after he screwed radiator that he could not take the paper out. Here is the picture without paper https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/10955993_1030568350293906_575488593_n.jpg?oh=2348085ae26c27153a0277ec5c48d0a4&oe=54CA8C50&__gda__=1422540608_3f905f5983a003476d20fb2766bf323d

What paper on the processor...