Does the Graphics Card Manufacturer Matter?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums but am looking to build a pc.  I am looking at getting the amd radeon r90 290 (not the 290x) from new egg.  This is my first build so I don't want to spend a lot on a high end nvidia card but I also want good gaming performance.  I am looking at buying the Asus version from newegg.com but there is also a sapphire brand version for the same price with an extra fan on it.  Would one brand have better performance than the other or will they both output the exact same performance?  

Don't get an Asus R9 290, as it's one of the worst coolers on the 290. 

Gigabyte windforce, Sapphire Tri-X, XFX double dissipation, or Powercolor PCS+ are the ways to go. 

Sapphire is the best of the bunch, so if it's the same price, go with that one.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I have a Sapphire 280x and it works great, haven't heard great things about the Asus 290 so IMO you should go Sapphire

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Don't get an Asus R9 290, as it's one of the worst coolers on the 290. 

And at least for me in Canada is typically the most expensive. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Yes all the brands are different. Mostly the coolers are what vary. The Sapphire cooler is very nice from what I've seen I would go with it over the ASUS one.

I've heard major complaints that the Asus cooler doesn't do a halfway decent job.  It's between the XFX double dissipation and the Sapphire version now, which are both the same price as the Asus one.  Since the Sapphire one has 3 fans instead of the 2 on the XFX I think I'm going to go with that one but please let me know if you think otherwise.  Thank you for the feedback on the Asus one.

I've heard major complaints that the Asus cooler doesn't do a halfway decent job.  It's between the XFX double dissipation and the Sapphire version now, which are both the same price as the Asus one.  Since the Sapphire one has 3 fans instead of the 2 on the XFX I think I'm going to go with that one but please let me know if you think otherwise.  Thank you for the feedback on the Asus one.

THIS http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/

Better dissipation and upgraded stats

THIS http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/R9290DC2OC4GD5/

Better dissipation and upgraded stats

I was going to get that but it supposedly has a terrible cooler that everyone hates.  Djdwosk97 said it in this thread.  Thanks for the suggestion but I've heard too much bad about it.  I'm probably going to get the msi one because it comes in red (which is the color I'm going with for my build) and msi is ok with the buyer taking it apart so long as it is put back together properly.  

I was going to get that but it supposedly has a terrible cooler that everyone hates.  Djdwosk97 said it in this thread.  Thanks for the suggestion but I've heard too much bad about it.  I'm probably going to get the msi one because it comes in red (which is the color I'm going with for my build) and msi is ok with the buyer taking it apart so long as it is put back together properly.  

MSI is definitely a better choice. And does MSI allow you to remove the cooler and still be under warranty? I thought MSI was one of the ones that didn't allow that....

/I may very will be wrong -- so if you've already looked it up, then I'm wrong and you should ignore everything I said :) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.