94c GPU temp, ASUS won't RMA

Mitch3k

It's hotter than it should be. Before I went with a kraken g10, temps were in low 80s at stock clocks under full load. I applied some tx-4 paste and temps dropped under load to mid-high 70s at stock clocks. 94 is crazy unless you are running furmark or your case has poor airflow.

I shit you not, minecraft gets it up to 94c...

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

I had the same on my 290x the reason is asus used a gtx780 cooler on the 200 series amd card's that cooler is not designed for that chip and that's the reason why it's overheating,The only working cooler is the Sapphire tri-x and the gigabyte model. But keep in mind that the 200 series are spaceheaters :P

So I've heard, do you think replacing the thermal paste would help my issue?

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

So I've heard, do you think replacing the thermal paste would help my issue?

Maybe a few degrees but not much, You will void your warranty anyways.

Just slap another cooler on that thing like a Arctic one or a NZXT watercooling bracket.

Just slap another cooler on that thing like a Arctic one or a NZXT watercooling bracket.

Hmm, might just do that. Thanks.

Hmm, might just do that. Thanks.

That's your only option to keep the beast nice and cool, Asus just doesn't want to admit that they used the wrong cooling unit.

I reapplied thermal paste to both my DCUII 780 and my Strix 980. It reduced their temperatures (in games) by a couple degrees, reduced fan speeds by ~15%, and I was able to run a marginally higher overclock on both.

Both cards had an incredible excess of thermal paste applied from the factory.

If you're suggesting that he use an aftermarket cooler, that will void the warranty anyway. Reapplying thermal paste won't hurt, and it may be able to help (without needing to spend money on a new cooler).

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I reapplied thermal paste to both my DCUII 780 and my Strix 980. It reduced their temperatures (in games) by a couple degrees, reduced fan speeds by ~15%, and I was able to run a marginally higher overclock on both.

Both cards had an incredible excess of thermal paste applied from the factory.

If you're suggesting that he use an aftermarket cooler, that will void the warranty anyway. Reapplying thermal paste won't hurt, and it may be able to help (without needing to spend money on a new cooler).

Thats kinda what I was thinking, I do have a older card as a spare in case it somehow does wrong :)

Wow nice looking PC and that card looks a beast! My cabinet is soo much smaller and crammed than yours and still my temps on my GTX760 never goes above 71-75.

Oh and yes I did reapply my cards thermal compound after several days of rethinking lol.

But still you should not do it as long as the card is under warranty because if something happens to your card you wont be able to RMA it.(just to be safe :D)

Wow nice looking PC and that card looks a beast! My cabinet is soo much smaller and crammed than yours and still my temps on my GTX760 never goes above 71-75.

Oh and yes I did reapply my cards thermal compound after several days of rethinking lol.

But still you should not do it as long as the card is under warranty because if something happens to your card you wont be able to RMA it.(just to be safe :D)

Well, its either I get stuck with a hot loud card (because I can't RMA it) or one thats cooler without a warranty. I can't really win here. 

Also, is Arctic Silver 5 safe to use on a GPU?

Also, is Arctic Silver 5 safe to use on a GPU?

Well, I used Arctic Silver 5 on my GPU! its much better than the stock pink color compound the GPU had.

Oh and how many more months of warranty you have left? I redid mine when my card had 2 months of warranty left.

Well, I used Arctic Silver 5 on my GPU! its much better than the stock pink color compound the GPU had.

Oh and how many more months of warranty you have left? I redid mine when my card had 2 months of warranty left.

How long is it? 1 year warranty? If its 1 year I have a bit over 2 months left anyway.

That's your only option to keep the beast nice and cool, Asus just doesn't want to admit that they used the wrong cooling unit.

I got the 290x DCU-II from ASUS and it reaches a max of 84 degrees, even when running Furmark.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Also, say I go with a nzxt G10 and a kraken, do you think the 140mm kraken is worth the extra $30?

I got the 290x DCU-II from ASUS and it reaches a max of 84 degrees, even when running Furmark.

Ok, good to know. So theres definitely an issue with mine :(

Well worst case scenario is I break the card and have to use a 7970 for a few months until the 390x comes out :)

but hey, If i can replace the thermal compound on a macbook pro, I can do this :)

Yup my card came with 1 year warranty but double check yours some manufacturers give 3 year warranty too.

I have not personally tried nzxt G10 :( so I dont know how it will turn out.

I searched the internet and yes 290x DCU-II does overheat :( there are people who complain about high temps on this card.. damn Asus should recognize the problem.

Yup my card came with 1 year warranty but double check yours some manufacturers give 3 year warranty too.

I have not personally tried nzxt G10 :( so I dont know how it will turn out.

I searched the internet and yes 290x DCU-II does overheat :( there are people who complain about high temps on this card.. damn Asus should recognize the problem.

Well, I'm going to do it, will update with pics and stuff :) If this goes smoothly, I might go out and buy a G10

That's awesome! hope everything goes smoothly! Waiting for pics :D if everything works out you will have a silent PC with lower temps on your GPU at the end of the day :) I bet the stock paste must have dried up.

As soon as today's video was up I could see a dozen of posts where people speak of replacing TIM on GPU. It is not a new method but people got impressed I guess.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

With a g10 and h50 my Dcuii 290 usually maxes out under full load at 50-55 degrees @ 1100mhz core. Well worth the upgrade if you want a cooler card And aren't afraid of breaking warranty.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Do it like me, just stick the biggest AIO you can find and a G10 to it, and then sit back and think about your life choices

but hey it's 30°c under load

MISSION IS SUCCESSFUL! Post progress pics soon.

uDQ4lu4.jpg

Do it like me, just stick the biggest AIO you can find and a G10 to it, and then sit back and think about your life choices

but hey it's 30°c under load

I could put my CPU on a smaller cooler and use my h100i for my GPU ;)

I could put my CPU on a smaller cooler and use my h100i for my GPU ;)

But the g10 wont support the h100i, because the pump is square, and you need round ones (the asetek design) like the h60,h110 or Antec Kuhlers