Speedfan literally turns my fan off after replacing my fans

Sharif
Go to solution Solved by Juan Remes,

I would check voltages, but thats a really hard and dangerous task with short circuiting possibilities. If you are brave enough i will tell you how

Firs set the control to 100% and check the voltage with a multimeter, place the ground lead in a GND connector of an unused molex or the chassis of your PSU and with the positive lead touch the Positive connector on the PWM connector, it should give you a 12v reading, more or less

Now set the control to 50% and check voltage again, it should still give you 12v because PWM does not control based on voltage, if you have 12v means that your + pin on the header is OK, now invert the leads, place the positive lead to a 12v (Yellow) connector on a unused molex and with the negative lead touch the GND pin on your PWM header, if it gives you 12v it means its OK too, if any of that tests fails, it mean the problem is your MB but that would be unusual.

Now, you should check your MB fan control configuration, enter the BIOS and set the control off if you can, i have a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and it let you turn the control completely off, and even with the control ON, speedfan overtakes that and control the fans on its own without the MB controller involved

If you still have the problem i think the problem is speedfan itself (RARE i have used speedfan for like 2 years and it never happened to be speedfans fault if anything is wrong)

Press the configure button and you SHOULD have these configs:

In temps tab make sure you have the right temperature desire set. If you have a very low desire temp maybe speedfan is setting 95% as minimum speed

In speeds tab make sure the minimum speed allowed to the fan is 20% (or a speed you are comfortable with) and its NOT set to automatically variate (that is why a custom fan curve is prefered)

In fan control make sure you are running a custom fan curve adjusted to your cooling/noise needs based on your MAX of speeds

In advanced tab make sure you select your correct MB chip and the fans are set to SOFTWARE CONTROLED and checking the "remember it" option

That should do it, i hope you can solve your problem using this information

PS maybe you can check speedfan first, before atempting anything with a multimeter and risking a short circuit

So i just got my 2 new fans and i mounted them both on my heatsink (Both are PWM,connected via adapter to 1 pwm header) 

Motherboard fan speed control works

but speedfan doesn't it instead turns it off,if the value is under 95% 

1917580215feeff4d1a413acaf8ebdde.png

My new fans are killing my ears please help   :wacko:

• Fans (Jetflo) x 2
  • where there connected 
c16b965ee2faee849633dc9d1b3ae43f.jpg

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Anybody... 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Could it be the adapter throwing it off ? Try with one fan straight to the MOBO and see what it does ?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Could it be the adapter throwing it off ? Try with one fan straight to the MOBO and see what it does ?

I will try that and report back  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

It's the same  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Anybody.............

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

speedfan does stupid stuff.
Ditch it and go for some other software.

I used it for the longest time, and then eventually whenever i launched it my fans would max, my temps would go up, and speedfan would stop responding, causing me to reboot.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I would check voltages, but thats a really hard and dangerous task with short circuiting possibilities. If you are brave enough i will tell you how

Firs set the control to 100% and check the voltage with a multimeter, place the ground lead in a GND connector of an unused molex or the chassis of your PSU and with the positive lead touch the Positive connector on the PWM connector, it should give you a 12v reading, more or less

Now set the control to 50% and check voltage again, it should still give you 12v because PWM does not control based on voltage, if you have 12v means that your + pin on the header is OK, now invert the leads, place the positive lead to a 12v (Yellow) connector on a unused molex and with the negative lead touch the GND pin on your PWM header, if it gives you 12v it means its OK too, if any of that tests fails, it mean the problem is your MB but that would be unusual.

Now, you should check your MB fan control configuration, enter the BIOS and set the control off if you can, i have a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 and it let you turn the control completely off, and even with the control ON, speedfan overtakes that and control the fans on its own without the MB controller involved

If you still have the problem i think the problem is speedfan itself (RARE i have used speedfan for like 2 years and it never happened to be speedfans fault if anything is wrong)

In temps tab make sure you have the right temperature desire set. If you have a very low desire temp maybe speedfan is setting 95% as minimum speed

In speeds tab make sure the minimum speed allowed to the fan is 20% (or a speed you are comfortable with) and its NOT set to automatically variate (that is why a custom fan curve is prefered)

In fan control make sure you are running a custom fan curve adjusted to your cooling/noise needs based on your MAX of speeds

In advanced tab make sure you select your correct MB chip and the fans are set to SOFTWARE CONTROLED and checking the "remember it" option

PS maybe you can check speedfan first, before atempting anything with a multimeter and risking a short circuit

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

speedfan does stupid stuff.

Ditch it and go for some other software.

I used it for the longest time, and then eventually whenever i launched it my fans would max, my temps would go up, and speedfan would stop responding, causing me to reboot.

Is there any alternatives,i can look at? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

In advanced tab make sure you select your correct MB chip and the fans are set to SOFTWARE CONTROLLED and checking the "remember it" option

PS maybe you can check speedfan first, before attempting anything with a multimeter and risking a short circuit

I will check it out and report back but i can't check it with the multimeter as i don't have that.

Edit : I should have mentioned my motherbourd fan speed control works fine,just very very low customizability 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Is there any alternatives,i can look at? 

I use HWMonitor. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I use HWMonitor. 

Is it possible to set a custom fan curve using that?  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Thank you!!!!

It is finally solved and its so quiet :wub:  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Thanks you!!!!

It is finally solved and its so quiet :wub:  

Glad it could help you!

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

Glad it could help you!

One more thing,how can make Speedfan autostart up? 

Found it

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Ohh thats a trick ive googled too, for some ODD reason, Speedfan doesnt run when placed in the start folder on Windows 8/8.1 for it to run in the start do this:

Open up Note Pad and Copy EXACTLY THIS

"@Echo off
FOR %%X IN ("C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe") DO rundll32 shell32.dll,ShellExec_RunDLL %%X"

Make sure you DELETE THE "´s and edit the directory to find your speedfan.exe, mine is in that folder, yours could be on another but usually thats where it is installed
now VERY IMPORTANT you must save the file as a .cmd for example use the name "SpeedfanStartUp.cmd" and save it to your desktop

Now to test it out just double click the file in your desktop and it should open up speedfan, if it is correct the only thing left to do is to drag up that file to your start folder that is located at:
"C/Users/YOU/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Start"

And thats it you should be able to open up speedfan each time you log in, if the file does not open when testing it out, maybe the directory route is wrong and you have to edit it or you didnt delete the "´s
Hope it work to you! i have mine set up that way

Ohh thats a trick ive googled too, for some ODD reason, Speedfan doesnt run when placed in the start folder on Windows 8/8.1 for it to run in the start do this:

Open up Note Pad and Copy EXACTLY THIS

"@Echo off
FOR %%X IN ("C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan\speedfan.exe") DO rundll32 shell32.dll,ShellExec_RunDLL %%X"

Make sure you DELETE THE "´s and edit the directory to find your speedfan.exe, mine is in that folder, yours could be on another but usually thats where it is installed
now VERY IMPORTANT you must save the file as a .cmd for example use the name "SpeedfanStartUp.cmd" and save it to your desktop

Now to test it out just double click the file in your desktop and it should open up speedfan, if it is correct the only thing left to do is to drag up that file to your start folder that is located at:
"C/Users/YOU/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/Start"

And thats it you should be able to open up speedfan each time you log in, if the file does not open when testing it out, maybe the directory route is wrong and you have to edit it or you didnt delete the "´s
Hope it work to you! i have mine set up that way

Thanks! again  :D

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Snip

After i set my computer to sleep,same problems reverted and i just disabled Q-fan 

Update : It seems to work with the Q-fan enabled in the bios 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

After i set my computer to sleep,same problems reverted and i just disabled Q-fan 

Update : It seems to work with the Q-fan enabled in the bios 

in fact, i just checked and i have q-fan controller enabled too, obviously (all my fans ramp up to 100% when booting because i remember that i tought "if a fan is starting to fail, i want to know at the boot when every fan should go full blast) so yeah, q-fan enabled should work, and i dont have my computer set to go sleep mode, so i couldnt be sure right there, but apart from that everything should work just OK

in fact, i just checked and i have q-fan controller enabled too, obviously (all my fans ramp up to 100% when booting because i remember that i tought "if a fan is starting to fail, i want to know at the boot when every fan should go full blast) so yeah, q-fan enabled should work, and i dont have my computer set to go sleep mode, so i couldnt be sure right there, but apart from that everything should work just OK

Speedfan seems to not work after waking up from sleep,it seems the motherbourd Q-fan takes over 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Update : Working now,

it seems speedfan is set to smart guardian mode automatically after,it is woken from sleep

This is a little dumb but what is smart guardian? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Update : Working now,

it seems speedfan is set to smart guardian mode automatically after,it is woken from sleep

This is a little dumb but what is smart guardian? 

Glad you could sort out what was doing it, and I dont know! Hahahaha :D i would like to know too! 

Glad you could sort out what was doing it, and I dont know! Hahahaha :D i would like to know too! 

This is strange ,when i woke my computer up after waking myself xD 

It didn't change this time 

If i need to dig into this more,i will keep you updated 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD